D'oh, I said I was back, and meant it. The below pictures aren't meant to "show my stuff" so much as to document that work is, in fact, continuing.
I'm almost done with the "first cut" (pun intended) at rescribing the obliterated panel lines. The plan is to use light
coats of primer to see where the flaws really stand out and to try to fix those with thickened primer and gentle rescribing.
I am NOT going to rescribe the whole thing. I'm OK with raised panel lines and countersunk corrections. I don't feel one can really tell. Rescribing the whole airframe is too OCD, even for me.
My attitude towards modeling detail generally has also undergone an evolution during this interminable build. I'll talk about that as I go along. These days I feel it's "OK" not to detail "to the nines"
and in-passing I'll post some of the "degenerate sh*t" mods I've on various, commercial diecast models I've purchased during this hiatus.
Consider them comic relief.
I mentioned before I was really unhappy with one aspect of the completed exterior, and I'll show you what happened and how I'm going to fix it. Those who have followed this blog from the get-go already know the area I refer to, I think.
Here it is.
You will recall all the time and care my NC friend put into the cockpit glass and the open windows. Well, I just had
to clean it up by removing some of the Future that I felt distorted the view inside.
I followed his recommendation and used warm water on a Q-tip to scrub the windshields, but wasn't getting it clear and translucent. So, for some idiotic reason I tried rubbing with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.
I succeeded in fogging up the clear parts and, as you can see, messed it up. I was desperate enough to think that maybe the problem was on the INSIDE of the glass, so stuck the Q-tip through the open windows and made it even worse there.
Here's the fix. Yeah, parts I got from a kit on the cheap off of e-Bay.
It's not glued on, but the fit is good and I think it will be fine. The lesson for me: "Less is more" sometimes.
Do note the rescribing forward of the windshield. Not perfect but getting there.
And here is the bottom of the nose.
Again, it's a first cut.
Here is the aft bottom fuselage.
This is better IMO.
Finally for tonight, the stbd. radio room area, not yet finished, but it's a start.