From ancient history to present day there has always been a Marine Corps.
In the Roman Empire they had 2 legions trained for warfare on land and sea. The German Empire had 3 sea (Marines) battalions. The Ottoman empire had up to 50,000 Marines. Novogod had its Uskhiuniks, who were irregular Marines the last of the old Viking tradition. The UK established a Maritime Regiment of foot in 1664. Portugal established a Naval Infantry Corps in 1621. And Spanish Navy Marines are the oldest Marine Force in history, established on February 27,1537 by Charles 1st when he permanently assigned the Naples Old Sea Companies to the Mediterranean Galley Squadron.
In todays time there are 51 nations that have a Marine Corps Units, with the United States with the biggest Corps
So as you can see as humans went to sea, they need a Few Good Men to protect them.
The Rules and Regs
1) The campaign will start December 15, 2011 and end on June 15,2012.
2) All models will not be started before the start date and must be finished by the end date.
3) All models must have one photo which includes a newspaper dated
on/or after December 15, 2011
and be posted in the thread before you start the build.
4) Any and all units that are called Marine Corps will be allowed.
I have a list of Marine units of the world if you have any questions about a certain unit.
5) The time line is wide open from ancient to modern times.
No Sci-Fi or fiction units allowed.
6) Dioramas are allowed as are multiple builds, but only one ribbon will be awarded.
7) Figures, vehicles, aircraft, etc., are allowed. At least 1 In-progress photos must be posted in the threads. WIP's are highly encouraged
8) At least one clear photo must be posted in the gallery to get your ribbon.
9) Please remember to have fun. This is a hobby, not real life.