On the 14th February 2011, it will be the 70 years since Rommel landed in Libya to take control of the Afika Corps and I would like to propose a campaign focused on the DAK and the other army groups that made up Army Group Afrika.
As Winston Churchill said of Rommel, "We have a very daring and skillful opponent against us, and, may I say across the havoc of war, a great general."
So let's build some of his gear!
The focus will be on building any tank, armoured car, motorcycle, softskin, or artillery piece that saw service under Rommel in Africa between 14th february 1941 and 9th March 1943 when he left Africa, never to return.
You can build German or Italian pieces or Beutepanzers if you can prove they were used by the Fox.
The Rules and Regs
The rules are simple:
1) the time-line is February 14th 1941 to 9th March 1943 in Africa
2) Any vehicle or gun used by Rommel including German and Italian pieces and Beutepanzers is allowed
3) Stand alone or Diorama is allowed
4) WiP's are not only encouraged but almost mandatory. Part of the goal of this campaign is to share ideas and tips on the diverse range of weathering and painting options for a desert campaign.
6) Multiple builds are allowed, but only 1 ribbon will be awarded, even if you build the whole 21st Panzer division.
7) The builds cannot be started before the start date
8) You must post 1 photo of the model parts / box before starting, at least one photo of work in progress and finally at least 1 photo of the finished article. If you are tackling a lesser know subject it would be great to see a photo of the prototype too.
9) Please remember this is a hobby not real life so enjoying yourself is a priority!
Your reward will be a rather funky looking ribbon and bragging rights.