_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Hptm. Boelcke Albatros ?
rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:09 AM UTC
Is there any pics or info as to what model of Albatros Boelcke was flying at the time of his death? I am thinking a DII but as to wether an early or later version I do not know. Thanks.

Roy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:51 PM UTC

While we do have photo images of Haupt. Boelcke standing by Albatros D. fighters we can't be sure if they are his. The information available is that Boelcke only allowed streamers to be attached to his lower wing tips. Initially he allowed the pilots to use the first letter(s) from their last names to be painted on the fuselage sides. He on the other hand seemed to see this as his way of identifying his men. He allowed that his leaders streamers were to identify him.

Here is a bit from historian Aaron Weaver, ". . .According to Boelcke's own Feldberichte the Albatros machines didn't arrive until 16 September, the first Jasta Start didn't take place until 17 September, therefore the Fokker D.III machine was what he used. Read Boelcke's own words in a letter to his father dated 17 Sept. 1916 at Bertincourt which confirm this where he states:

'...The Staffel is not quite up to strength yet, as I am still without about half of our machines. But yesterday at least six arrived, so that I shall be able to take off with my Staffel for the first time today. Hitherto I have generally flown Fokker biplanes, but today I shall take up one of the new Albatroses. My pilots are all passionately keen and very competent, but I must first train them to steady teamwork, they are at present rather like young puppies in their zeal to achieve something.'

There were few flights up until the arrival of the Albatros D.I machines, most being solo flights by Boelcke where he gained victories 20-26. Ltn. Höhne flew his Albatros D.I the evening of the 16th and is supposed to have downed the units first victory on the type. . ."

For his last mission Boelcke flew Alb. D.II 386/16 and it was the was different from the other D.IIs in that it had the Teves & Braun center section mounted radiator, rather than the two fuselage mounted twin Windhoff radiators. Other D.IIs at this time had the Windhoff's as did the D.Is. It would make D.386/16 one of the first "later" production Alb. D.II types.

From Aeroscale member Dan San; ". . .Idflieg awarded Albatros Werke an order for 12 D. prototype D.Machines, serial number D.380/16 to D.391/16. Serial numbers D.380/to D.385/16 were Alb.D.I prototypes, and Alb.D.II 386/16 was one of the two prototype D.II machines. D.II 386/16 had the wing mounted Teves und Braun radiator, while D.II 387/16 had the ear radiators mounted on the sides of the fuselage. The ear radiators required header tank mounted above the engine

Serial numbers D.388/16 and D.389/16 were Alb.D.III prototypes. Other Alb.D.I serial numbers were D.390/16 and D.391/16.

In the beginning Jasta 2 received the six Alb.D.I and one Alb.D.II machines from these first prototypes aircraft. . .The first Alb. D.II to be fitted with the wing airfoil radiator was one of the two Alb. D.II prototypes, Alb.D.II 386/16 had a Teves und Braun radiator, this machine was issued to Hptm. Oswald Boelcke, Jastaführer of Jasta 2.

The early production Alb.D.II commencing with serial number D.472/16 through D.521/16 employed the Windhoff side or ear radiators mounted on the sides of the fuselage, on the center-line.

The late production Alb.D.II built by OAW had the wing mounted Teves und Braun radiator, serial numbers D.890 - 939/16.

Note!!! All the LVG built Alb. D.II(LVG) 1024 - 1098/16 had fuselage mounted ear Windhoff radiators.

The last production batch were Albatros built Alb. D.II 1700 - 1798/16 had wing the mounted Teves und Braun airfoil radiator."

Hope this helps.

rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
Thanks alot for the info. I have the Schiffer book on the DII and it list The DII registration numbers but the lowest number listed is D.472/16. It shows D.486/16 (vice 386/16 you cited) as belonging to Jasta 2. In fact according to this publication only 275 DIIs were built with the first being D.472/16. Are these just production machines with prototypes haveing a lower number such as 386/16? Basically what this is all coming down to is that I have the 1/48 scale Eduard DII profipack and want to depict Boelcke's latest ride and am trying to figure out if it would be an early DII with the side mounted radiators or the later type with the top wing mounted type radiator. I am also trying to figure out camo scheme and individual markings. Again thanks for your help.

p.s. The cover of the Schiffer book shows an early DII with side mounted radiators with the serial number D 386/16 on the tail. Curious.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC
Sorry Roy, An artist's renderings are not emperical evidence. If you find a photo with this serial thats another thing. Publications go for "looks" on their overs not what is correct most of the time. While it is an impressive collection of images be cautious of their capions. The Albatros Datafiles would be a better source. The Albatros Fighters Datafile special only hasd a small segment on them but they were a small production batch. I don't have the new Alb. D.II Datafile but I will buy it because of the author.

The records say ; ". . .Idflieg awarded Albatros Werke an order for 12 "D" Prototype Machines, serial number D.380/16 to D.391/16 in June 1916.

A. Serial numbers D.380/to D.385/16 were Alb.D.I prototypes,
B. Alb.D.II 386/16 was one of the two prototype D.II machines. D.II 386/16 had the wing mounted Teves und Braun radiator, while D.II 387/16 had the ear radiators mounted on the sides of the fuselage. The ear radiators required header tank mounted above the engine

C. Serial numbers D.388/16 and D.389/16 were Alb.D.III prototypes. Other Alb.D.I serial numbers were D.390/16 and D.391/16.

There were no further contract allocations unil the production of;

D. D.472/16 through D.521/16 employed the Windhoff side or ear radiators mounted on the sides of the fuselage, on the center-line.

E. Alb.D.II built by OAW had the wing mounted Teves und Braun radiator, serial numbers D.890 - 939/16.

F. All the LVG built Alb. D.II(LVG) 1024 - 1098/16 had fuselage mounted ear Windhoff radiators.

rolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
Believe me I am by no means basing anything off of a cover painting. As a matter of fact I agree with you whole heartedly about Boelcke last ride being a later DII. After reading your intial reply I did some more research and found a segment of photos of Boelke returning to his airfield after his 34th victory and in two of the photos the radiator plumbing running up to the upper wing is clearly visable and in one the radiator itself. So that is not the question at all. What I am real curious about is the markings and aircraft colors. Would the cover picture be a good representation of this? Laminated wood sides, green and brown on the upper side of the wings and horizontal stabs, and light blue undersurfaces. There are two more parts I am not to sure of, the rudder color and upper cowling and spinner. Again thanks for your time and info, it has been very helpful. I am too wanting to get those windsock datafiles. I am new to WWI aircraft (armor is my first love) but am finding it facinating.

Roy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 07:18 AM UTC
Greetings rolf: No worries. My train of thought leads me to say. Ex-works finish. Or in oher words "factory finish" of the day fo Albatros appears to be varnished or yellow shellaced fuselages. (If you can see wood grain its varnished.) Shellaced fuseages are "sealed" with a coloured shellac and you can't see any wood grain.

The horizontal flying surfaces are the three colour German version of dk. grn., lt. grn., venetian (red) brown on the upper surfaces and lt. blue undersurfaces. The rudder was painted sympathetically to the middle colour on the horizontal tail unit.

The pattern / sequence on the upper surfaces needs to be looked at carefully. Metal cowling areas seems to be a mid grey or grey grn.

Just my opinion. Dan may know more. Hopefully he will weigh in here to add his infrmation.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC
Here is Kitboy's build of an Alb. D.II. (His having the "ear radiators".)

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC

Here is the detailed build (in Dutch but lots of images.)
Albatros D.II build
 _GOTOTOP