_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Working with resin parts
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 05:37 PM UTC
I have an aftermarket cockpit for my Tamiya 1:48 He 219-A7 Uhu which I got this morning.

I have never worked with resin before, so is thre anything I should know before I begin tonight?

One question I have is, do I need to use CA glue or will normal poly cement do the trrick?

I am confident that I can do it I was just wondering if there is anything I should know before I begin.

Thanks in advance,
Philip.

EDIT: This is the cockpit I have.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi!

Working with resin is not so different compared to "normal" plastic.

Before you do anything, clean all resin parts in some dishing detergent to get rid of mould releasing substances.
Let dry overnight.

You must use a CA glue as the ordinary plastic glue doesn´t work here.
I use only CA, but some also uses epoxy glues, this will work for larger surfaces and getting a longer time to adjust the alignment.

For smaller surfaces like a cockpit, I use liquid CA or/and a CA Gel for smaller etched parts.

You´ll have to cut and sand the resin, be careful to avoid the dust as this is very unhealthy to get in your lungs!
Always work in a well ventilated space or use water to reduce the dust.

The plastic is not dangerous, but the fine dust can be.

Beware of the fit with these parts!
They are often designed to a specific kit, but the fit is not always as good as the plastic components!

Sand, file and dry fit are the most important things here!
Go slowly and be careful, resin is a VERY brittle type of plastic and breaks all too easy!

You can paint by brush and get a decent result.
But you would be amazed what a simple airbrush can do!

Good luck with your cockpit and please show us your model!

Cheers!

Stefan E
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC
Never never never use white pot metal or steel rods for connecting resin parts to any portion of your build.

Always use brass rod or wire only.

Resin does not cure completely. If steel rod is imbedded in it for any pinning or connecting it will rust with in weeks.

Always use brass rod or wire only.
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys.

After having a look at all the parts last night I am amazed by the amount of detail on it!

I haven't got an airbrush yet, but plan on getting one soon. So I will be painting the cockpit with a brush.

I certainly will be posting photos of my model up, as this is my first model aeroplane for some years I could do with some input.

One question I still have is; On some of the bigger parts there are large blocks of resin, how do I remove these? Do I sand it all off or cut it off with a craft knife or something else?

Stephen thanks for that tip it will come in handy if I ever do I bigger resin kit especially as all the wire I have is steel ( I think!) The cockpit seems a bit small to need to be pined or does it need pinning too?

Thanks for the help guys!
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info guys.

One question I still have is; On some of the bigger parts there are large blocks of resin, how do I remove these? Do I sand it all off or cut it off with a craft knife or something else?

Hi Again!

Those are casting lugs and the best way to remove them Is with a fine saw, like this;

http://www.hlj.com/product/OLF167B

I use this made by OLFA, but there are many similar tools.
A saw is better then sanding as it gives spawns, not so much dust flying around.

Use the saw ( or a knife) to remove most of the lug, sand down what´s left.

I know the "Uhu" is quite cramped in the nose and there´s not much space for weight, so don´t remove more material then needed to get a good fit.

Every kit is different, sometimes you have to sand the parts (and kit) wafer-thin, sometimes you don´t have to remove anything!

No two builds are the like in this aspect so work slowly, do many test runs before adding glue!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 02:56 PM UTC
Thanks Stefan,

I will pick up a saw like that then I am set. Hopefully I can get some photos up soon.

Philip.
 _GOTOTOP