Grumman Goose - Completed
garthbender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hey Everyone,
I wanted to do something a little different and what I ended up with was this 1/48 Grumman Goose. It is the Czech Models kit with Draw Decals decals for Wright Field, 1937.

It has been a while since I've done a model that wasn't weathered and beaten, and when I saw the decal sheet and I knew I had the model at home, it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

There are more photos posted here: http://www.ipms-css.org/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=4246

Thanks for looking
~ Garth
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
Nice build. It is definently an unsual aircraft in both form and the very colourful markings and paint scheme. Very clean build - the ground crew must have been busy polishing this one

Looks great - thanks for sharing
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
Looks great. How is the kit to put together. I am right now bidding on a goose on ebay and hoping to first win it and then build it with draw decals alaska airlines decals on it (the one with the totem). Anyway, I am curious about your experience with the czech models kit. Also, how are the draw decals? Did they work well?
Anyway, nice job on your goose.
Leon
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi Garth!

That´s a really nice Goose You have there!

I have one of those in my stash and I get very inspired to take it out now!

I intended to make it in the Swedish airforce livery, orange all over with black markings, but now I´m not so sure anymore.
I love those bright pre-war colors on US aircrafts, maybe I´ll do this instead If I find the decals.

Good Job!

Cheers!

Stefan E
tuffners3169
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
Wow good job, It looks awesome.
garthbender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hey Guys. Thanks for the good words. I'm glad that you like it. It was nice modelling something that was a bit cleaner than normal. The whole time I had to resist weathering it because I wanted it to look like it had rolled straight off the showroom floor, as it were.

As for the kit. It wasn't too bad... At least, not as bad as people made it sound and it was enjoyable to build. The resin they provide with it isn't the greatest I've seen from True Details. In fact, a few pieces I opted out and just used the kit parts.

Here are just a few areas to look out for/suggestions that may make the build easier if you plan on building it.

1. The bulkheads are a bit oversized for fit. If you find yourself grinding them down quite a bit more than normal, then you are probably doing fine. Once you get the internals all set, make sure that both sides of the cabin/cockpit fit together nicely with everything together, then make sure again.
2. The instructions have you add the canopy as one of the last steps and, according to Matt Swanns article on the build (which is awesome and can be found on http://swannysmodels.com), he had some last minute troubles getting it in. To avoid this, I attached each side of the canopy before I put the halves together. This worked really well. I just clamped a cabin side flat onto my workbench and glued the canopy half in to make sure it would align correctly. There is a bit of sanding to blend the canopy in, but it was much easier if added in an early step.
3. The wheel wells took a bit to get just right. There was a little reshaping and a lot of time spent on them. In the end, you can barely see them anyhow, so don't bother so much. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't worry about it.
4. Once it's time to attach the wing section, there is a bit of reshaping needed to get a good fit, but it's pretty easy going.

The decals from Draw Decal were awesome and practically went on by themselves. Absolutely no problems.

All-in-all, it was a REALLY fun project and is going to make a great Christmas present for my dad.

~ Garth
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Its shiny allright, Nice build, Im going to have to get this kit.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
Thats certainly a different subject and a nice looking kit and the paintwork is well done. Keep up the good work
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hi Garth:

I love it Very clean build and good paint job. It´s nice to see a diferent airplane. Congratulations
 _GOTOTOP