_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Vector's Lavochkin La-5F
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC

Well, the little beauty arrived last week! Great mail-order delivery service as usual from Neomega

There's been a lot written about Vector's La-5 - so my hopes were high. I'm pleased to say, the kit is even better than I'd expected! First off - the infamous speckled resin-casting... not a sign of it - my kit is a beauty! And secondly, the wheels; early examples had resin/rubber wheels which came in for a degree of criticism from reviewers for not being up to the standard of the rest of the kit. Well, Vector have obviously listened to their critics and the latest release now includes excellent all-resin wheels.

Look out for the full review very soon.

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 01:33 PM UTC
I hope you will do an online build!!!! Please!

still envy you ... I know it is a bad character trait

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope you will do an online build!!!! Please!

Hi Steffen

Ohhh - alright then! With a request like that, how can I refuse?

All the best

Rowan
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Grabs a seat in the front row, poors a cup of coffee and wait for Rowan to start....
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Grabs a seat in the front row, poors a cup of coffee and wait for Rowan to start....

You might want to get yourself a sleeping bag too :-) and give me a shout when he starts. Looks like my shorts are even safer, should Rowan start this
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You might want to get yourself a sleeping bag too :-) and give me a shout when he starts. Looks like my shorts are even safer, should Rowan start this
Mal

Hi Jan

That's good advice from Mal - a sleeping bag will definitely be handy, because I certainly don't think I'll finish this build tonight! :-) But you can give him a shout, because I've taken all the pics for the review, so I can get cracking!

I won't put a deadline on this one - it's too expensive a kit to spoil by rushing things - but I think it should make a nice return to sanity during breaks from the sessions doing battle with the FM Halifax...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[but I think it should make a nice return to sanity during breaks from the sessions doing battle with the FM Halifax...

Better throw away that Halithing and start the Lavochkin .... I am serious

well, not too

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

No chance of me ditching the Halifax (as tempting as this weekend's test-fitting makes it! ) - but I've made a start on the La-5.

Something for the sleeping-bag brigade.

The wings and fuselage arrive with large pour-stubs to remove. The aren't very thick, so I tackled them with my trusty Tri-Tool scriber, rather than sawing them off with all the inherent dust that would cause. The Tri-Tool is my favourite scriber - it must be 15 years old and is still wickedly sharp, and I find it's very controllable and excellent for both fine and medium-heavy work.

Removing the pour-stubs on the fuselage reveals an inerior lip with must be removed carefully to maintain the correct cross-section. If I was going to tackle this stage again, I'd run an ink-marker around the exterior of the lip (vacuform-style) to give a clear mark as to how much resin to remove.

With the parts basically cleaned up, it's time for a test fit. You need to add the cockpit base to spread the fuselage sides - otherwise there's a huge gap at the wing roots - but, with the base in place, the fit isn't too bad... some work to do, but I've seen far worse!

While everything's taped together, a sneak preview of the sort of side-wall detail Vector have included. The casting is superb and the cockpit is really going to look great when painted

Perhaps the weakest part of Vector's kit is that it doesn't include any painting instructions at all. My main references for the build will be (surpise, surprise...) Erik Pilawskii's "Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945", plus MBI's La-5 book, which includes masses of detail - including scale drawings and colour illustrations of the cockpit.

All the best

Rowan
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

so I tackled them with my trusty Tri-Tool scriber

Forgive Rowan my ignorance but what is this tool?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi David

Here's the old gal in all her glory:

It was sold by the long-defunct TriMaster - but I found this on HLJ under the Hasegawa brand - and I see there's a "fine" version too... I'll treat myself next time I order!

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi Rowanski!

I hope you didn't forgot to renew your Communist Party membership! You seem to be on a Soviet plane trip lately comrad!

Jan-Lusky
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hello Comrade Jan-Lusky

I don't know what you can possibly meanski??... . :-) :-)

Don't worry... at least this one won't be green!

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi again

Further to my earlier reply - I guess the VVS bug has biiten me in the a***! For once I'm glad for pests - at least it's got me building again! We all need to find a niche - even it turns out to be a temporary home - I'm the archetypical "catholic in my tastes" and don't like to get too typecast.

All the best

Rowanski
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
Tovarish Rowan

Do not let the capitalist traitor drive you away from the right path ... except for building some Luftwaffe stuff :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I have a similar "problem" right now, both my I-16 and P-40E are taking shape ... both pilots are Geroy Sovyetskovo Soyuza

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tovarish Rowan... I have a similar "problem" right now, both my I-16 and P-40E are taking shape ... cheers Steffen

Hi Steffen

I'm really looking forward to seeing the I-16 (in particular) - if ever a build has overcome the obstacles set by international trade, this is the one! If you'll excuse the RAF parlance... Per ardua ad astra!

All the best

Rowanski
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC
Comrad Rowanskikoff.
Hannants show this engraver on their site.
It states it as "bold" .Would this be too thick for 1:72? Im having trouble finding an Ofla P Cutter.If anyone has a link for one of those Id be a happy bunny
Nige
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi Nige

The Tri-Tool (Tritool? I don't know...) I've got is much finer than an Olfa P-Cutter - the P-Cutter is often mentioned (and, yes, I've got one) but, to be honest, I'd only ever use it for the most brutish of scribing - it's a clumsy tool and hard to see what you're doing with...

All the best

Rowan

PS - Yes the Hannants item looks like what I've got. I should apply for a job with the distibutors, its among the most useful tools I've ever bought...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
The tri tool scribersaws and modelling saws are also very useful!

As for the I-16: I'll take some pix tomorrow, it is not finished yet, but close (only needs the canopy and hatch and a flat finish) .... the kite is really messy. My approach: While it surely was technically in top condition I cannot imagine the crew paid much attention cleaning the Ishak at (in?) the Khalkin river

cheers

Steffen
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC
Comrade Rowanoff Bayliskovich....

Build is looking good and I as well has been bitten by the VVS bug.....
This build has made me hungry, anyone up for Curry? It's on me comrades.....
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:22 PM UTC
Comrade Rowanoff Bayliskovich....

Any update on the LA-7?
Serhan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Adana, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 04:41 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) Very nice conversation we have here :-) :-) :-) I was nearly fell down

flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2006 - 05:02 PM UTC
Hi all...

Quoted Text

meanski

Quoted Text

Rowanski!

clears throat...ah ahemmm ...I have it on good authority... the wifeski or it should be in the feminine...wifeska! or in plain English...her who must be obeyed that its a common misconception to put a "ski" on the end of words to give a Russianesque flavour...but ski and ska are Polish.

So it should I suppose be meanskov and Rowanov...but someone will probably point out that this is possiblly Ukrainian...ah well.

Still a great looking kit though....coffee?

Cheers
Peter
:-)
 _GOTOTOP