Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The straw that broke the Camel's back?
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:12 AM UTC
Looking super Stephen.....excellent!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC
Greetings all; I was asked about the particulars concerning Captain Oliver Colin "Boots" Le Boutillier of Naval 9 (later 209 RAF.) He was one of the pilots involved in the combat of 21 April 1918 when the Red Baron was KIA. In reference to profile "F." Sopwith Camel F.1 D3332 was flown by Flt. Cmdr O.C. “Boots” Le Boutillier of 9N up-til 24 March 1918 when it was crashed. Repaired it was sent to 204 RAF until 2 August 1918 where it was sent to 210 RAF where after several pilots it was assigned to Captain A. W. Carter. The white dumbbell seen on the profile was not adopted by 210 RAF as a unit marking until November 1918.

His particulars are;
Country of origin: United States
Service: Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force.
Units: 9N (RNAS) 209 (RAF)
Victories: 10
Born: 24 May 1894
Died: 12 May 1983
Place of Death: Las Vegas, Nevada

Dr. J.J. Parks at left and "Boots" at right.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:31 PM UTC
Greetings all; No worries here just swamped with work. I am unfortunately working a sick and annual post and I get moved from day to day and my modeling time is a bit restricted. Though I have made some progress. My vacation begins this weekend and we will see if this build can be completed.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 12:16 PM UTC
Greetings all; Have had an inquiry about the small insignia on scheme B. The Sopwith Camel F.1 B7296 was crashed by 2/Lt. G. S. Hodson of B flight of 73 Sqdn RFC in France 2 February 1918 (Not 1917.) ...

On a green square you see what amounts to a dog looking in a cupboard all surmounted on a large Letter "C".

This is the unit badge of No. 73 Sqdn RFC in France during 1918. Commanded by Major T.O.B. Hubbard and known affectionately as "Mother" Hubbard and then flying the Sopwith F.1 "Camels, the unit's badge stemmed from the nursery rhyme and the Surrounding letter "C" for the Camels they flew.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
Rigging begins today. Will probably do it at an hour at a time. It gives it a chance to cure before handling too much.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi Stephen
You’re busy my friend. Do you have bad weather, or is it just a bad catch of the old gluingfever? :-)

Give me a week or two more in the Swedish sun, and my tan will be looking good under the bench lamps

The news is that Rodens 23-scale Albatros DIII will be released in Sweden in Septembe

Lars
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 01:21 AM UTC
Hey Lars, I am officially on vacation.

This month I am submitting two invoices for published articles in Model Aircraft Monthly on the Nieu. 11 & 17.

Have just been notified that two articles of mine are in this issue of Cross & Cockade Intl. Issoudon and Field Five at Issoudon.

Last night did work on four Camel kits ( this one the two Naval birds and an extra I wound up with in an estate sale.) Just a little on each.

Have one article to get out to C&C Intl by tomorrow.

Have a large manuscript to drop off (older one) to be typed into computer text format for submission to publish in my first book.

Have been asked to provide images for consideration by a hobby magazine publisher to do a monograph on my builds.

The website is doing well and I am selling more kit reviews everyday.

Just rec'd two Planet Models Rumpler C.IV types (Resin) and one has already been commissioned to build for someone else. Deposit in the bank.

Have submitted at their request an article to publish in Windsock magazine.

I have just been notified of the impending birth of my #3 grandchild...(7.5 months.)

I have two weeks to build models and do research.

I am a very bless man. Sorry to blow my own horn I just feel so good. Its great to be alive.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi Stephen!

I'm very happy for all these good things happening in your life! And here's one more for all the good things to come!

Jean-Luc
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hear! Hear!

SmileyCentral.com

SmileyCentral.com
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hi Stephen
Grandchildren, have that in the future I hope. Articles, I did some for a Swedish Magazine twenty years ago, that was fun at the time. Nowadays I’ll just building models for the fun..
Keep up the good works

Lars
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 02:07 AM UTC
Greetings all;

While working on the rigging I thought to add this comment here. Some portions of the wings ( and depending on the fuselage markings) will have decals applied before the rigging. This includes the cockades / roundels...national markings and some fuselage markings for specific profiles and rudder. Just a little fore-thought or planning avoids a great deal of swearing and frustration.
Removed by original poster on 08/24/13 - 21:01:17 (GMT).
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Lars, I am officially on vacation.

This month I am submitting two invoices for published articles in Model Aircraft Monthly on the Nieu. 11 & 17.

Have just been notified that two articles of mine are in this issue of Cross & Cockade Intl. Issoudon and Field Five at Issoudon.

Last night did work on four Camel kits ( this one the two Naval birds and an extra I wound up with in an estate sale.) Just a little on each.

Have one article to get out to C&C Intl by tomorrow.

Have a large manuscript to drop off (older one) to be typed into computer text format for submission to publish in my first book.

Have been asked to provide images for consideration by a hobby magazine publisher to do a monograph on my builds.

The website is doing well and I am selling more kit reviews everyday.

Just rec'd two Planet Models Rumpler C.IV types (Resin) and one has already been commissioned to build for someone else. Deposit in the bank.

Have submitted at their request an article to publish in Windsock magazine.

I have just been notified of the impending birth of my #3 grandchild...(7.5 months.)

I have two weeks to build models and do research.

I am a very bless man. Sorry to blow my own horn I just feel so good. Its great to be alive.

WOW Stephen, you are one incredibly busy man.
Building 4 camels at once now thats just showing off :-) .
You can blow your own horn as much as you like, and we may even play along with you.
Glad life is treating you well, long may it continue.
Andy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hey Andy,

Please understand on the Camels I was doing just a bit on each one. This build of the F.1 Combo Camel, Two 2F.1 types and another F.1 to be completed later.

If you have seen my desk images under my profile you will notice the blue framed parts drawers. These are either extras parts or partially completed kits that have internal / cockpits and engines completed but have not had any outer surfaces painted.

By the way the rigging on this build is completed. Will begin adding final decals then the touch up and final dull coating.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 07:19 AM UTC
Greetings all;

I just had a PM from a fellow member asking a question.

Quoted Text

"...In your opinion what would be the best Sopwith Camel kit to build in 1/48. Should i go for an Eduard offering or the Revell kit. Basically i want to build a British version. Something which wouldn't be to complicated or confusing, as in multiple parts for umpteen versions in the box. P.E parts aren't a problem as I can handle them LOL. Thanks for your time..."

Greetings,
Go with the Eduard in 1/48 for the Sopwith F.1 Camel. But do take into consideration its best to pin all of the struts to the wings and fuselage for this kit. It gives the build strength.
Regards Stephen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 02:04 AM UTC
Photo shoot tomorrow gang. Several days for developing and framing them in Jean-Luc's showcase framing. Several things I have found out about my colour scheme on this build.

A. Sopwith Camel F.1 B3834 was flown by Flt. Lt. A. F. Brandon of the Manston War Flight at RNAS Manston War School in August 1917. “Wonga - Bonga” was the phrase used to describe the sounds made by the engines on a Gotha Bomber. Manston started its aviation days as a Royal Naval Station in 1916, with a base at Westgate Bay for seaplanes. The early airfield was on the area now occupied by the passenger terminal. By 1917 Manston airfield had grown to include four underground hangars, its own railway line to Birchington, a power station to generate electricity, barracks for 3,000 men and even an indoor swimming pool. Using this machine Flt. Lt. Brandon helped destroy a Gotha in flames on 22 August 1917. “Wonga - Bonga” was damaged with a bullet in #6 cylinder, but landed safely...

Further notes on this bird say that later her fin was over painted the same blue as the rudder stripe. The Camel File text also says that B3834 was finally deleted during the week ending on 9 February 1918.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 07:30 AM UTC
Greetings all;
Film sent to the developer notes ready for the final comments. Its evening here and I'm spending my last vacation days cleaning up my desk. My cup O' coffee for the evening is about finished. Small bowl of ice cream has been vanquished. Family is about the house doing the usual. I will be heading downstairs in a few minutes to dutifully clean the usual mail and stuff off my desk. Then pop in a movie and do a bit of work on the other two Dromedaries on my shelf.

I Have two Roden SE 5a types needing some rigging. A Checquered Crocodile F.2b needs to be closed up. My third Eduard DH 2 is getting its first round of colour. There is this flashy little Gavia Pfalz E.I begging for attention. Euphoria gents.

Merlin, thanks for the opportunity to have a go at one of the Camel Combo kits. Keep at yours. I look forward to seeing it.

JackFlash at angels three heading for the hangar.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:36 PM UTC
Here we have it folks! I am coming to the end of the presentation of this build. Entotal it took 21build hours. Here she is from the business end. The reason it first appears off center is that is not centered on the crooked trestle saw horse. Bit of a optical illusion.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:40 PM UTC
Next we begin the walk around. From the pilot's right front quarter , you can see I left her a bit grimey as if being inspected after her combat with the Gotha.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:45 PM UTC
In retrospect I should probably add a bit of grime to the fuselage sides. Though the images I have of B3834 show they kept the white lettering remarkably clean.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:51 PM UTC
I did have to pilfer a set of fuselage side cockades as the ones I wound up with were for the night fighter. No worries though I have several left over Eduard Camel decal sheets from my first builds. An AEF F.1 and an instructors Machine that had no fuselage cockades. Also they yielded a couple of "Lift here" and instrument panel decals I needed as well.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
With the exception of the rigging and the brass pins I used to tie the struts and wings to each other I tried to keep this build as out of the box as possible.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 06:00 PM UTC
I will probably go back later and do a tiny bit of dry brushing on the upper surfaces of the wings just to bring out some highlights.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 06:10 PM UTC
Here is where most of the exhaust on a Camel tended to trail. The ribs showing through the clear doped linen undersurfaces may not be entirely accuarate. You see the wooden wing skeleton had cloth battens tacked to the wing rib caps and then when the fabric was added to the frame these battens serve as a place to sew the covering fabric to the rib caps. then rib tapes were applied. That would give the wing ribs at least three layers of fabric. This would make the ribs standout as whiter than the rest of the undersurfaces of the wings.

But for the sake of modeling and trying a new technique...Viola!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 06:22 PM UTC
Well folks here is the last image I'll post. On the day I took the photos it began to rain and I tried to get the last two shots of the cockpit opening done but rain drops were falling on my head and the model. Oh well.

So to close this tale I'll show you the tail of the Camel. I want to thank Merlin for giving me the opportunity to be apart of the build. And Jean-Luc for his kind assistance with the now familar framing that accents the images. Historian Mike Westrop produced the image of A.F. Brandon ( he is the tops with RNAS & RAF subjects.) Finally the members and guests of the fledgling "Aeroscale" for your kind attention. See you around the hangar folks. JackFlash outbound at Angels two.