_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard 1/48 Fokker E.V
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 05:31 AM UTC

Greetings all; I have just received this kit and thought I would do a quick preview here before I do a review. In my opinion, The new Eduard kit is a hundred percent improvement over the former "early" slush mold issue that Eduard did back in 1992-3.

1The exploded view instructions are great. The rest of the kit appears to be very well tooled. The average modeler can pick this kit up and get very decent results. It fills the void in the Fokker D.VIII line up left by DML / Dragon's neglect.
2. As Eduard has proven they can exceed our expectations with a kit that has almost everything the modeler could want in one box. That is great plastic with two options for wing variants, optional photoetch and precut decal lozenge and a comprehensive slick paper magazine for instructions.
3. Eduard continues to struggle with their lozenge decals colours and the four colour lozenge here is a step back from their Fokker D.VII kit decals without the speckles. back to B-
4. It provides markings for 4 colour schemes. Three of which have been available in either kit or aftermarket forms previously.

http://www.eduard.cz
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

I must admit I couldn't resist taking a peek at Eduard's sample before forwarding it... it DOES look great! You've no idea how close I came to keeping it to review myself!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you make of it once you get stuck in!

All the best

Rowan

PS - I love your WW1flyer emoticon!
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 07:56 PM UTC
Looks and sounds like a great kit. I can't wait for the full blown review.
Leon
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
Greetings all; In prepping the review on this kit I usually find out what other people have to say about a kit before I toss my hat in the ring.

Mostly I can see what other reviewers don't know about a WWI vintage kit and try to clarify in my own efforts. Here is one example.

one reviewer wrote "...The floorboard that supports the seat to the pedals... though the callout gives the usual Mister Colour / Aqueous "wood," has a distinct metallic sort of texture to it, as if the surface were molded in a series of tiny geometric shapes, like tiny square tiles. ...At last, my question is, can anyone tell me what the floor of this a/c would have looked like? This is the panel that lies over and between the lower longitudinal tubes of the the framework. I am at a loss for a color, and if it is wood, Eduard picked an odd way to portray it..."

From the Laws of Modeling "...#16.) The kit instructions (especially concerning colour notations), may be very interesting, but are 95 % of the time irrelevant..."

Let me preface my comment here with this, Eduard did get it right. At least for one airframe that may have had a "replacement floor." The Only real Fokker E.V / D.VIII fuselage today is the example that Eduard has used to replicate their kit. The airframe in Italy has a metal floor with a grid treadplate. For a reference see the relavent Datafile on p.31. It is possible that these aircraft had both types of flooring (wood & metal) installed depending on the materials available at a given time. Remember there were shortages of various types that Germany was having to deal with in 1918 and contracts that needed to be fulfilled.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 04:23 PM UTC
Greetings all; the build goes along well. Will finish up this next week and get the article up to Merlin to edit. The decals are a bit touchy. While very sturdy once they lock down they are a bit tough to adjust. The stripes on the horizontal tail unit of scheme "A" should be cut up in sections to work better. Eduard did that for the lozenge. I just wish they had done it for these tail stripes. This is Eduard's image of their build not mine.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
Greetings all; In reference to this second wing. I have been contemplating the manner to describe the "Bumby Surface Option." After spray painting the wings in a light monocolour, hold them up to the light obliquely. You will see that one has smooth surfaces and the other has criss-cross ribs and spars with valleys or slight depressions between. The detail is so subtle you just don't see it in the the upper or lower plan views. Not so much a starved cow but the kind of surface one would expect to see when rigid sheets or plates are tacked to a skeletal surface.

Note this is not the experimental wing structure that has been suggested on another website. all substructures are at right angles.

Also there are some decals that are included twice. The Fokker Co. patch / decal are only on the fin and rudder (pilot's) right side. Not both. The recommended w/n 2047 for the snake markings are not on the sheet.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Note the Fokker Co. logo is seen only on the pilot’s right side of the rudder and fin not both sides.

Scheme A. Fok. E.V ,With the snake and rabbit should be serial numbered 142/18, w/n 2783. Pilot, unknown possibly from Jasta 8. The image at the beginning show this machine in French hands, post war. The history focuses on the unit possibilities. Later its fin and rudder wound up on another captured E.V in French hands. The serial on the decal is moved forward to allow the snake to hide the largest portion of as fictious serial number. The black tail stripes are too short and don’t wrap around the edges. The rudder fin should be black and white as well.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
Must have that one :-) :-)

Cheers from Sweden
Lars
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 04:48 PM UTC
Nearing the completion of this build and will do the review here. I have to say I really like this kit. Other than the glitch with the black stripes the PE chin pan could use a bit of trimming before application. Modifications were kept to a minimum.

JackFlash outbound at angels seven.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Wow! You've made double-quick progress on this one! I can't wait to see how it's turned out! The review-mill is all warmed up and ready to churn...

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

Wow! You've made double-quick progress on this one! I can't wait to see how it's turned out! The review-mill is all warmed up and ready to churn... All the best
Rowan

I won't say if fell out of the box and assembled itself but it did go together nicely.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 07:05 AM UTC
Here is a bit of a teaser.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 05:14 PM UTC
That's a beauty, Stephen !

I just got this kit a couple days ago, and I was planning on using those markings. Looks like I'll have to make another choice now, since I don't like to look like I'm trying to copy another modeler's build.

I wish there were alternate (or extra) lozenge decals in this kit. I have DML's Fokker D. VIII (with the resin bust), but no decals.

Well done !
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC
I think I have some DML E.V 4 colour lozenge (just the fuselage) if you want it. Way too bright for me even if you overspray it. Just contact me by Message.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 - 03:10 PM UTC
Thanks to Merlin the full review is up and running.
See; https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1620
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC
Greetings all;

Member Antoni has added so comments, but it was under the modern title for some reason. See;
Click here.

He writes...

Some clarification on points made in the review of Eduard’s Fokker E.V.

He quotes me fro the review, '...C. Fok. E.V 183/18 Flown by Cpt. Stefan Bastyr of Polish Air Service of the 7th Squadron..
1. According to Alex Imrie this is 193/18.
2. R. Rimell’s Datafile #25, Pp. 13 & 34 says it is 183/18 and flown By Lt. Stefan Stecc of the Polish #7
“Kosciuszko” (phonetic = Ko-shew-sco) Squadron. Good images of this aircraft tell us that the whole
horizontal tail plane was divided in red & white, not just the elevators...'

Then he continues. "1. Alex Imrie is correct. Bastyr’s E.V was 193/18. Poland possessed fifteen E.Vs and one D.VIII, none of them 183/18. The number is obscured by Bastyr’s personal emblem and has been misinterpreted from photographs.
2. Eduard are correct, 193/18 was flown by Bastyr and apart from the wrong number the decals in the kit are for Bastyr’s E.V. I suspect that at some time in the past, because of its similarity to Stec’s E.Vs, this machine has either been mistaken for being the same aircraft as Stec’s or, because of the similar emblem, that the aircraft must also have belonged to Stec. Since then the mistake has been continually repeated by others. I only have two photographs of 193/18, both taken after it crashed while being flown by Lt Idzikowski. In neither of them is it possible to tell for certain that the tail plane was painted red and white but I doubt it, as the underneath looks very dark and I would at least expect to see a difference in contrast between the red and white. In the latest book from Kagero it depicted with a lozenge fabric tail. If good photographs exist showing it had a red and white tail I would think that Polish historians would be aware of them and have published them. Nor can I find any red and white tailed E.Vs in any of the other photographs I have of Polish E.Vs.

Stec’s regular, or original E.V, was 185/18. This aircraft was similar to Bastyr’s but had no CWL number on the fuselage and Stec’s personal emblem was a horizontal letter S with a four-pointed red and white star superimposed on it. Stec had used this emblem while serving with Flik 3 (Austria) in WW I. Evidently Stec’s emblem was the model for Bastyr’s horizontal 8. Stec also flew 187/18. This aircraft had the later style chessboards with contrasting borders on the wings. The fin and rudder were completely white with a chessboard painted on. The CWL number 001 was painted in white above the black ‘Fok E.V. Later Stec’s emblem was painted on the fuselage side and the CWL number moved forward (like 193/18) suggesting that it might have become a replacement for 185/18. The fin and rudder were also painted red and white. At the time the various regional groups adopted different distinctive markings on their aircraft. A red and white fin/rudder was used by the Lwów group. Both these E.Vs had wheels with spokes, no covers. 187/18 definitely had a lozenge fabric tail.

In November 1918 a war developed between Poland and the Western-Ukrainian Republic for the procession of East Galicia and the City of Lwów. In March/April 1919 two Fokker E.Vs were presented by the province of Wielkopolska to the defenders of the City of Lwów. These aircraft were used by the 7th Eskadra Lotnicza, flown by Bastyr and Stec, in operations against Ukrainian forces not Bolsheviks. In May 1919 the 7th Flight had three Fokker E.Vs, three Brandenburgs and a LVG CV I. By June the flight had almost ceased to exist because of a lack of equipment. With war with Russia looking increasingly likely, Stec suggested that all Fokker E.Vs in the Lwów. Area be brought together in the 7th Eskadra, transforming it into a fighter unit. This was agreed by HQ and in August the eskadra received 12 Albatros (Oef) D IIIs purchased from Austria. Elsewhere the Fokker E.V saw only limited combat use, with other Polish Eskadras never having more than three machines at any one time. NB. At this time the 7th Eskadra was not called ‘Kościuszko’ (correctly pronounced Kosh-TSYUSH-ko not Ko-shew-sco.) The name originated only after the flying personnel were replaced by American volunteer pilots in Autumn 1919. In Decemeber the Eskadra was officially given the title ‘7 Eskadra Myśliwska im. Tadeusza Kościuszki.’ Bastyr died in a Fokker DVII crash during the Battle of Lwów in 1920. (Techmod have decals for a D.VII flown by Bastyr.) Heart failure is thought to have been the cause. Stec survived the Russo-Polish war but was killed in an air accident in 1921..."

References:
Famous Airplanes No 6 Fokker E.V/D.VIII, Kowalski, Kagero. Includes decals for two Polish E.Vs – Stec’s 187/18 and Jasinski’s 190/18.
White Eagles. The Aircraft, Men and Operations of the Polish Air Force 1918 – 1939, Belcarz & Pęczkowski, Hikoki.
Skrzydła w Opałach - Wings in Distress, Glass, Wydawnictwo Militaria.
Kościuszko Squadron 1919 – 1921, Kopański & Kozak, Mushroom Model Publications.

Online:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Bastyr
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Stec
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-Ukrainian_War
http://republika.pl/tomaszjkowalski/
myśliwskie > samoloty niemieckie > Fokker E.V
malowanie > godła osobiste > Stec/Bastyr
redalb2253
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hey Stephen, I like how you went with the much discussed colored wing It looks better than the standard green :-)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Stephen, I like how you went with the much discussed colored wing It looks better than the standard green :-)

Hello Steve, glad to see you here. Model On!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:27 PM UTC

Greetings all here is a real bit of fun. Look closely . The "cupping" between the ribs and spars in the top surface of the wing does seem to be apparant. From the photo of the real machine it looks like Eduard got it very close in their most recent issue of this kit. This is a Fokker E.V post war in Belgian hands.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:33 PM UTC

Here is a recent 1/48 build from a good fellow, Daniel Clamot from where else Belgium. It represents the machine in the above phot image. A Fokker E .V 201/18, flown by LTT Van Cotthem.

Sorry folks he moved the image 2013.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
Hi Stephen
Thats a good one.do you have more pics of the machine?

Lars
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
I have invited Daniel to show up here and give his comments. Known as "Scimitar " he has several images of this machine.
Draken35akaScimitar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Namur, Belgium
KitMaker: 114 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:49 PM UTC
As I'm known as Scimitar on Theaerodrome but also as Draken35 on some European forums, I will be here "Draken35akaScimitar"

Here are some photos of my Belgian Fokker E V:

The aircraft was discovered just after the Armistice on the Evere drome. He became the personal mount of LTT Albert van Cotthem. On the first times she was seen bearing German lozenge; but circa 1921-22 the a/c was painted in khaki.
The a/c was unarmed and, with the time, some haubans were added to reinforce the structure.

Greetings from Belgium,

Daniel.
Edmond_Thieffry
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Walloon Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 02:11 AM UTC
Hello Lars,

As a good fellow of Scimitar I will tell you that these pictures gives not justice to his model. As for the real aircraft, you'll find another photos of the real aircraft here : http://www.baha.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/ww1_precurseurs/fokker_DVIII.htm

If you are interrested in early Belgian aviation, click on this link : http://www.baha.be/ and, when you are on the BAHA site, click on the "military aviation" link. You'll find a lot of useful photos

Best regards from Belgium.

Edmond
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 05:18 PM UTC
Review here

_GOTOTOP