_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Painting yellow lines on bombs
Grasshopp12
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
I am just finishing up Tamiya's Skyraider, and was wondering what is the best technique for painting the thin yellow lines towards the front of the bomb so they come out even and look good. I've been blown away by the model itself (only my 3rd airplane), and don't want something as minor as the little yellow lines to mess it all up.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi Jeff

Two easy ways are:

1. Paint the bombs yellow and, when dry, mask the stripes with thin strips of masking tape. Next, paint the bombs olive-drab, wait for this to dry and then remove the masks to reveal the yellow stripes.

or

2. Paint the bombs olive drab and apply the stripes as thin strips of yellow decal.

I hope this helps.

Rowan
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
As Rowan mentioned, masking if probably the easiest way.

So i would paint the whole bomb in its OD colour and then mask it and spray the yellow. If the colour bleeds into the tape, just touch it up.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi again

Either way is fine, but I usually apply the yellow first, simply because yellow paint often doesn't have great colour density over a dark base.

All the best

Rowan
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
I read an article once I think it might have been in FSM about painting the bomb yellow.. then useing really small rubber bands (maybe dental ones can't remember) as the masking material and spray the main color on..

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Yep... I go along with Dilbert on the rubber band---- or small rubber "O" rings. Paint yellow, slip on the O ring... spray OD......
You can pick up a small assortment of O rings at the auto store for a few dollars.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
I usually paint the bomb OD, then hold a paintbrush loaded with yellow up against it and roll the bomb across the table! (obviously keeping the brush in contact!)
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:18 AM UTC
Another version - just cuz....

Paint the bombs the base color. Then mask off the entire base so the entire tip will be painted (not just a stripe). Paint the unmasked area yellow. Then with the yellow tip dry, fill a shallow container with the base color. The depth of the paint should be amount of the base color. Then simply dip the yellow tip in the container. As long as the depth is correct the stripe will be fine.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:39 AM UTC
One thing I've noted is that most US bomb's rings appear to have been brush-painted, not always straight nor uniform.
Grasshopp12
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 05:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the responses!!! Talk about a variety of techniques here. I think I'm gonna give the O-ring idea a shot first, as I have piles of tiny rings kicking around here.
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing I've noted is that most US bomb's rings appear to have been brush-painted, not always straight nor uniform

That is very true, the same goes for Armoured ( or indeed any army ) vehicles. The paint application and finish can be very rough and shoddy on the real thing, unfortunately if you replicate this on a model everybody thinks you just did a shoddy job... .

Cheers
Henk
 _GOTOTOP