Hosted by Rowan Baylis
hello
markm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC
I want to introduce myself and send greetings to everyone. I found armorama a few months ago while cruising the web for model sites. I am now hooked. I check this site 2-3 times a day when time allows. I can only say how greatly impressed i am with the quality of work that I see here. I know that I am in no way comparable as i have been out of modeling since my teenage years. I noticed that my wife was watching every time i would see a kit box or FSM magazine, and what do you know-i was given a basic starter kit to begin building again. My primary interest is WWII aircraft but I am willing to try armor as well. I find myself checking the pages here and looking at completed or in progress work to see if I am doing it halfway right. I have slowly built my basic tool kit into a decent tool and paint collection thatnk to the online shopping. (i only hope my wife does not see the credit card bill before i can hide it!).
I am begining to build a Hasegawa 1/48 A6M2B Type 21. I am trying to figure out what the proper color is for the interior. I have seen everything from the pale green/yellow to the metallic blue as an interior. I plan on building this OOB and the exterior will be green over gray. Can someone give me some pointers as to the proper color for the cockpit, wheel wells, landing gear etc?

Thanks in advance and a great pleasure to be here.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi Mark,
One site that may be of some use to you is

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com

They have quite alot of walkarounds, tips and tricks, reviews,etc....

Hope this is of some help

(++)
markm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
Thanks,

Looks like there are a few models in there to go by.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 06:03 PM UTC
Welcome Mark !

Glad to see someone returning to the hobby.

Here is some info that will help you with the Zeke (GREAT kit, I've built a few myself).

This is the best A6M2 walkaround I've ever seen. The metallic colors were not used for cockpits. It was a translucent anti-corrosive coating applied to bare metal. It varied in color from green to blue. To replicate this, I first paint the items with a reflective metallic color, then spray with clear green, blue, or a combination of both. I add Future to the clear acrylic so that I can build the color more slowly and evenly. I also thin it with isopropyl alcohol.
Here's the walkaround:
http://j-aircraft.com/walk/dave_pluth/blayd/blayd.htm

Here is some color info on the A6M2s used at Pearl Harbor:
http://j-aircraft.com/research/jimlansdale/pearl/jimlpearl.htm

Here is the main site, from which the two above pages came. It is the number one site for IJN/IJA aircraft of WW II:
http://j-aircraft.com/index.htm

Hope these links help !
markm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC
Now those are fantastic close up pics, thanks alot for that one. I wonder if my wife knows what she got herself into by encouraging me to get started again!!!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi Mark

Welcome to Armorama! It's great to have you aboard.

My first port of call for info any and all WW2 Japanese planes is also j.aircraft.com - I've never found a site to it, but here are a couple of other links that might be useful:

Fargo Air Museum

Pacific Wrecks

and a shot of an A6M3 cockpit

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP