_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
ME109 My first wingy thing
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hi this is my first plane after I came back to this hobby, it's a Tamiya 1/48 Me109E, OOTB, only added antenna with copper wire, your comments are greatly appreciated.

mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:06 PM UTC
Great model, Dave. You really seem to have the painting skills down, I must say. A great job on the camo scheme, and the oil residue on the bottom of the plane. Great highlights on the fuselage and wing panels as well. Did you use a wash on that, or a fine tipped pen? Hard to tell from the photos.

Another great effort. :-)

Mike

SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:25 PM UTC
Mike thanks again for your kind word. I did the camo with the paper masking provided with the kit. And the panel line was washed. The oil stain and the gun powder residues were mostly airbrushed on with very thinned flat black color, and with some black pastel chalks.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
The kit looks great SS.... The tires look like they are gloss. I would put a flat coat on them so it will match the rest of the plane....

just an idea...
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC
Looks great, the camouflagfe and the weathering are really awesome!

Just one thing about the antenna. You may want to, either on this model or the next one, substitute the copper wire by fishing line. All you do is glue the fishing line the same way you did the copper wire, but let it have just a bit of sag. then you approach the fishing line very carefully with a lit match. The flame will heat up the fishing line and pull it tight. I've tried it before and it works perfect, just be carefull not burn the model or your fingers, you may want to experiment before doing on you model just to see how far you have to hold the match away from the fishing line.

Once again, great job! :-)

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:42 AM UTC
Very nice SS ! It looks like you've been working hard lately : armored cars, planes, ships... what's next ?
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 01:38 PM UTC
Hi Penny, Thanks for noticing it, I had totally overlooked it, so guess what I am gonna to do first thing when I get home tonight?

Bombshell, thansk for the tips. So I am gonna get me some fishing line, in what thickness should I get it for? It's great tip, I would never known it if not for this site, and you of course! So I figure, I can also use this way to do it for rigging on my ships, right? Great tip! Thanks!

PenPen, My next will be a scratch build figure of all disney characters.... #:-) , oh, just me going crazy ....too many things to do at one time.
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bombshell, thansk for the tips. So I am gonna get me some fishing line, in what thickness should I get it for? It's great tip, I would never known it if not for this site, and you of course! So I figure, I can also use this way to do it for rigging on my ships, right? Great tip! Thanks!

Most a/c modeler will use 2lb fishing line for 1/48 scale. Also, I think it looks better if you leave the fishing line umpainted, but that is just my thing I've seen an article on Finescale where a modeler added insulators with white glue I think it was. Maybe someone who has the magazine can shed some light on that.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC

P.S.: HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE.................MUAHA-HAHA-HAHA
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:38 AM UTC
Great job with the wingy thing . Really good
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:56 PM UTC
Real nice bird, I gonna start one for my next project and hope to barely match your model.
Have a nice time
Tanks46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi Dave Tanks46 here. I went through all your posts for your kits. I must say your masking technique for your camo patterns is excellent! I like your choice of subjects as well. Being a big WW2 fan and occasional builder of pursuit planes and battleships I was very impressed with your 109. I did a similiar pattern in 1/72nd for Adolf Gallands 109. The Bismarck is excellent and I can't wait to see the end result. Ihave a USS Arizona sitting in my storage box with the Bismarck on my list as the next battleship to build. I work only in 1/700th waterline. The 1/350 kits are awesome. I built the Yamato when I was in High School. It came out well, but nothing like your effort! As for your armor I am always impressed by your efforts. I have viewed a number of your pieces in Track links. I toast your efforts! Just wanted to give you some of my thoughts. Carry on. Butch Cassidy Tanks46.

Quoted Text

To utilize the full power of the weapon, coolness, individual skill, and fire discipline are the chief requisites.

SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 01:53 PM UTC
Paulo and Tank46, you guys are too kind, thank you for the encouragement....
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 04:40 AM UTC
wow looks great, very nice work
I also have a suggestion for the antenna, try some lycra thread, it is elastic and will streach eaisly, just cut to length, glue, and if you should happen to snag it on something or hit it, it will streach and go right back to shape, always looks taunt, just an idea

Bender
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi SS, while I am not into aircraft your one looks excellent to me. I found the weathering good too.

Cliff
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 12:49 PM UTC
nice dave, but where do the ostketten go that #:-) i think you did well on the 109, how about that hover tank? stug
lifestyle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 02:47 PM UTC
Great Job davidus LIke penny said the wheels are glossy like the figures were on your tiger But the Paint job and weathering on it is tramendous
Brandneus Pimpus
jackhammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
Dear Sith Lord Darth Davidus Arwenismineus,
This is to inform you that this atrociety will not be tollerated! Where is the Famo to pull this "evil,winged thingy"?I am appaulled!!! Maybe even Ringo-ed,John-ed,And George-ed! And the scale...THE SCALE!!!!!!! My head has drooped and my heart is heavy. Treadheads all over the earth have hearts heavy with tracked dissappiontment. I will take this up with Pig #1 of Der Sonntag Bund! The Guess-stop-OH will be informed of your transgression! I personally will have.....eh?...What?.....It's still a model?...Oh!!!!....sorry, nevermind. Nice work!
generalzod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:36 PM UTC
Very nice work Davidus I could make a comment here about airplanes,but I won't
Chadus yes my ankle still hurts #:-)
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:45 PM UTC
Dave:

A really nice job on the 109. Like your German armor, the paint job is just beautiful on this model. Really outstanding!

ps: I thought sure you'd pick a U.S. subject instead of the 109!!!!! (just kidding of course)

SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 05:11 PM UTC
My fellow brothers,

I kinda hope this mischief of mine back in October would go un-noticed, but I don't know how it got surfaced again. Anyway, thank you guys for the nice comments.

Jackus and Chadus, I better not show my Apache sometimes soon..... #:-)

WWH, Okay, I promise you, I will try to overcome the boring factor and do a Sherman before 2010, and hey, I did do an Abram.... #:-)
Dmd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
that's nice work davidus !! i'm glad to see something beautiful on the first day of the new year.

keep up the good work

with kind regards
DMD
User_789
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC
Great model Dave, I like the way how you did the decals!
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
very nice. I like the hard edge camo on it.
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hey Dave ...Nice job on that wingy thing .....nice paint job ... Another thing to watch out for on 109's is to make sure the wheel line up straight with the ground and not the strutts ..I can't tell from your pictures if you did this or not so don't take it as a critisme..just something to watch out for guys when building one of these birds...Is there anything you don't build?? How's the Nashorn coming along ...you are a brave man !! I got the new kit this week and wouldn't have the patience to finish the old one like you ...Hats off to you ..

Rick
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thank you guys for your kind words. I thought that after Nov. no one will dig this up anymore...The moral of the story is if you ever trespass to the wingy thing, someone bounds to find it out.....

Bear, yes, the wheels are aligned to the ground, I don't build cars and robots, anything of a military nature is of interests to me....

My Nashorn is coming along alright, I am looking forward to wrap it up next week....Will post some more pictures when done.... Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP