_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Luftwaffe Group Build : Me 109 Thread
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi all Bf109/Me109'ers,

You can post your stuff in this thread. All the best !

Cheers,
BP.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:51 AM UTC
I think I'll be going for a 1/72nd Bf 109 E by hasegawa.

Here is a great site for info, that ladymodelbuilder told me about once upon a time :
http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/home.html

Good reading !
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:40 PM UTC
I´m in doubt between a Tamiya BF 109 and a Promodeler one....both in 1/72.
I´ll probably try the Tamiya, since I want to build it in the trop version...
Cheers
Armour66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
Not sure on the complete accuracy but I am going with the 1/48 academy bf 109D. Looks like a good build.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 08:14 AM UTC
I'm going with Hasegawa's 1/48th Bf-109... I think it's a G-14 version.
PenPen, thanks for the link! :-) (and thanks to Ladymodlebuilder for giving PenPen the link! )

YodaMan
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 12:19 PM UTC
I have the Hobbycraft B and C versions on order. I made the B my first choice, and the C my backup choice. (I hope they still have one of the two in stock) It's been a long time since I have done 1/48 scale, so I will be relearning as I go. I plan to do an early paint scheme, possibly from the Polish campaign. Still looking for Decals, and references. Any ideas for unique markings here?

Dave Manley

DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
Well, I ordered two different kits, figuring that I'd be lucky if they had one in stock, and I got both today! I am going to build the 109B for the group build. I may do the 109C ahead of time as practice, as I haven't built 1/48 scale for a decade or more! (It's gonna be like playin' with Lego blocks!) I couldn't find a B or C in 1/72 scale, so I got this.
I am looking for reference material, still. The kit decals are for 1937. I will use them, if I can't come up with another color scheme. They require a RLM 70/71 splinter camo over light blue (65) belly. (JG 132 ) I have no idea how accurate they are, and how the decals will work. They look a bit thick. I believe that there were some all green 109B s at the start ofthe war, with the red bands and white rounds behind the national markings on the tails. This is the scheme I was looking for. I want something that will stand out amongst all of the camo jobs I have done lately. I am looking for interior and undercarriage references right now, so I can make sure I order the correct paints. Were the B types the same as the later 109s? I may have stepped off a cliff by choosing to model a B, as I find almost no references for them, but I hope to land on my feet.
dragon190
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
would A 109Z be allowed???
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:23 AM UTC
Which version is the 109Z ? Is it the one with the piggy tail ?
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 05:26 PM UTC
Sorry for the late reply !

Uhm dragon190, I really dunno about a Z version. First time i am hearing about it either!

Anyway, go ahead and make one. We all would like to see your version of the plane. There is no limitation on the version of the plane that you are building, as long as it's a valid Me -109 !

Cheers,
BP.
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 05:31 PM UTC
Found a pic. It's a Luft '46 plane.

bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 05:57 PM UTC
Hey, Jeepney, That's cool ! Thanks for the pic.

Well, Dragon190, that confirms it. It should be a real whopper of a Me 109 .

I'd really be interested in seeing how this turns out. BTW, which kit are you making(the brand, I mean ) ? Or is it going to be a scratchbuilt affair?

BP.
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:02 PM UTC
My very fuzzy memory seems to include seeing a photo of this plane about fifteen years ago. I think it must have been a prototype, or mockup, though, as it was not in camo of any kind. IIRC the two fuselages were different colors! Sure would be fun to model a mockup, or "Mule" prototype plane though. I imagine documentation would be a bit tough to come by. I am searching for info on my 109 B tonight, so I will keep an eye open for you.
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:08 PM UTC
The Luft '46 site has a bit of documentation about this "Zwilling" or twin. It would be cool to see this a kit! Sticking two Gustavs together might also work but the connecting wings and stabilizers might need a lot of work
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:53 PM UTC
I found a link, but no photo. It said that a prototype was completed, but damaged beyond repair in an airstrike. It had a few more drawings

Me 109Z

It also lists some kits, and a resin conversion. It looks like you have chosen a fun project. I can't wait to see this one.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:53 PM UTC
Come on... isn't it time to start yet???
I wanna build my airplane! :-)
To help pass the time, I'll look at possible paint schemes. What's everyone else going to paint theirs like?

YodaMan
m60a3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:31 PM UTC
If I finish the Italeri Sherman group build in time, I'll do a Tamiya 109E in "Vati" Molders' Battle of France scheme.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:15 AM UTC
For yoda : there arn't that many possibilities !

you mainly have : - grey / green top
- grey / darker grey top
The edge between the colors of the top are hard ones.
Some have "dots" on the side of the fuselage, where the blue of the underside goes up very high.

I think mine will be : two tones of grey, dots on the sides, and the yellow nose of the Abbeville boys !

I'm also having difficulties waiting for the start ! But well, it's only on 10 days !
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
I just got my package today, and I am ready to go here.

I am doing a 1/48 scale 109B-2 of 6./JG133 using the Aeromaster decals. (Birth of the Luthwaffe Part2) It is a non camo RLM 70 over 65 (Black Green over Light Blue) with a red banded national marking on the tail.

All I need is to figure out the main colors ofthe interior on the early 109, and what color to do the insides of the wheelwells, and I should be set.

I just have to hold my horses through Thanksgiving, and I will be set. I wanna build NOW!. Luckily I have another project taking my attention away from this one for a while. I have a M2A2 that was a gift, and I have to have it done by Thanksgiving, because the people who gave it to me will be at my house for the weekend! (No pressure Dave, no pressure!)

Ready to fly,
Dave
currahee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 12:45 PM UTC
I may try my hand on an Me-109 in Spanish Civil War Condor Legion markings.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
count me in too, hasagawa 109

Bender
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 01:35 PM UTC
here are a few reference links ive been collecting so thought i would share them
with anyone interested. http://www.bf109.com/ http://www.jg2.org/ http://www.luftarchiv.de/ http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/

Bender
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:46 PM UTC
I am ready to go here. I have the kit, paint, Decals etc. I am building a 1/48 109B-2 from the Hobbycraft 109-B kit. the only change that I can see is the prop and spinner. I happen to have a 109-C kit, so I will cast a copy of the prop and spinner from that kit, ,and use it on my buildup. I will also probably break down and use a Squadron Canopy on it. The kit canopy isn't too bad, but it's a bit thick. The only thing I am lacking is a good interior reference, and some shots fo the insides of the landing gear doors, and wheel wells. I have several shots of 109 E and G models, but no early ones. If all else fails, I am going to assume that they are similar, and wing it. I am still looking at a last minute panic order to get another reference, if somebody know a good book that covers the early 109s.

Happy building everybody,
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC
Thank you guys for telling me the cockpit color is RLM02 and not RLM66 ! That's good news because I do have some RLM02 at home !

Was this also true for late G and K versions ? I know Focke Wulf and Junkers painted cockpits in RLM66. Why was there such a difference ?
Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you guys for telling me the cockpit color is RLM02 and not RLM66 ! That's good news because I do have some RLM02 at home !

Was this also true for late G and K versions ? I know Focke Wulf and Junkers painted cockpits in RLM66. Why was there such a difference ?

If I understand it correctly, and I am by no means a Luftwaffe expert, earlier Bf 109s had the cockpits painted RLM02 while later types (G and K) had it painted RLM66.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
 _GOTOTOP