A20a Boston III in the RAAF updated
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC

G'day Folks,

This was the old AMT P-70 48 scale Nightfighter Boston kit, which has been converted back to an A20a 'Tropical' which was flown by the RAAF in the early stages of the Pacific Conflict. This subject is part of the RAAF OTS contract, These photo's show all the modifications and extra fitting of bits [ring and bead sight, pitot tube], the kit was missing. The aircraft in the foreground of this wartime photo, is the aircraft that this model subject is based on.

These aircraft were not fitted with a reflector type gun sight and were used for straffing in a frontal attack run, the aircraft will be A28-7 DU-H as flown by a Flt.Lt W.E.Newton in March 1943. This aircraft was not in a pristine condition it was patched up with different shades of Green and Earth paint, the underneath of this aircraft is RAAF Sky Blue.

The reason the RAAF chose the Boston A20a or DB-7 to most, this aircraft A28-7 was flown bt Flt.Lt. Newton on the mission that posthumously earned his Victoria Cross. The only such decoration to the RAAF in the Pacific. When this aircraft is completly finished I'll update this thread.

Rob.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:48 PM UTC
Looking good so far Rob. I do enjoy seeing your "wings down under". The camouflage schemes are a nice change from the usual brown/grey/green combinations I usually do and are very eyecatching.

Are the extras part of an update set or do you make them yourself?
 _GOTOTOP