_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/48 WWI Online build?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 04:57 PM UTC
Greetings all;

I have had a request for a WWI online build to be located here at Armorama. Though I have no idea what any of you would be interested in. New kits vs older kits? Injection plastic, resin, white metal only or multimedia. Since I do mostly WWI that probably what I would go with. Let me hear some ideas from you. JackFlash
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

I'd like to see the new Roden Nieuport 28, because it would be great to have a review of it here on Armorama.

Doing a step-by-step Online Build would be a really helpful to everyone building this kit and would give you a chance to explain and illustrate some of your techniques as you go.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC
:-) Great idea, although I model WW II, i do like to see WW I stuff done to your standard. Truth be told I would like to do a couple, so seeing how you do them would keep me enthralled. As for the subject, I really don't know, so I'll go with Rowan :-)
Mal
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 05:12 PM UTC
Greetings all; My notes on the Roden Nieuport 28 have been posted. While not the final word it is enough to get you started. If you have any questions go there and I'll look ing from time to time. Good Luck JackFlash
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
Greetings all; A couple of ya'll have asked for an 'On Line build' for after Summer 2004. Here is what I plan to work on this year. Take a look and let me know what you find of interest.
Fokker E.III Eduard (New Mold)
Sopwith 2F.1 Eduard & Blue Max
Fokker Dr.I pt.III 1/27 Scale.
Fokker V.28 (E.V with 11 cylinder Seimens Halske rotary) DML / Dragon
Fokker D.VII Early Albatros built Roden
Fokker D.VII Late Albatros built Roden
Fokker D.VII Early (OAW) built Roden
Fokker D.VII Mid (OAW) built Roden
Fokker D.VII Late (OAW) built Roden
Morane Saulnier 'N & I' Edrd vs Flshbck - Riding the Bullet
DH 2 Blue Max - A Spider for the Nightmare.
SE 5 & Se 5a Eduard
WKF D.I Alliance all resin kit
Aviatik Berg D.I Flashback
Etrich Taube Flashback
SSW D.III (New Mold) Vs Flashback kit
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Well hopefully if we can get enough people interested, this Group Build can go "official" and become a full campaign like Age of Aces last year. :-)

I'd never built a WW1 a/c before (my dreadful childhhood efforts don't count ), so it was a real step into the unknown for me, and a great way to tackle new techniques.

I built an Albatros and had great fun with the wood finish (which got mostly covered with mottling!) and dropping the beast just prior to completion! Still, I got there in the end:

As for this time... well the obvious choices are a Camel or D.VII, and I promised myself I'd do another wood finish and not hide it this time - so maybe an Albatros D.II, but I'll have to have a proper look on the shelves.... Oh! I can see a Special Hobby Sopwith Tabloid waving now! (You see, I do buy all this stuff... I just never build it! ).

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC
:-) For me the Camel and/or S.E. 5. I would also like to have a go at a wood finish, but for a first go at WW I it would have to be British for me :-)
Mal
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:06 AM UTC
Merlin - very nice Albatros D.Va!!! The overall look is highly impressive!! Please start a thread and tell us about the build! What paints and decals? Looks like the Eduard 8109 or 8110 kit.

On the topic here, so far lots of 'lookie Lou's' but only a couple of interested parties. Probably the best method would be an on display or better a feature? Step by step build?

The problem with the Sopwith is that it is labor intensive for rigging and the Fokker types are less inclined to intense rigging. While thats not a large concern for me the concensus here seems to be very casual. Should I interpret this to mean the WWI build should be less intense to have the widest reading? While the lesser know types would be interesting what I am seeing is other postings here in the aircraft topic is the mass produced aircraft types are highly favored over experimantal, prototypes and etc. Or am I reading this wrong?
Checking back through thread topics here that is the way it seems.

Though I do see here a penchant for hypotheticals with spurious unit markings. I do at least one of these kind with every type of aircraft I model. In otherwords for every 4-5 Fokker D.VII in real markings or configurations I'll build one hypthetical from say pulp books or movies. What are your thoughts?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Many thanks for the kind words about the Albatros. I'll have a look back through my old AoA posts and try to piece something together about it.

Age of Aces proved popular, but sadly a lot of people fell by the wayside. It was a great way to get people tackling subjects they'd never tried before. You have to remember that members' ages and experience vary greatly, not to mention how much they can afford to pay for a model - so entries ranged from 1/72 scale kits OOB to 1/48 scale and larger, with a lot of detail added.

I hadn't imagined us all building the same model (if that's what you're suggesting), but it might be really useful. With a single focus - I'd certainly appreciate being able to see how you tackle things and any advice you can offer on how to improve things for my WW1 builds. :-)

I'd vote for the Roden 1/48 scale Fokker D.VII because, as you say, the minimal rigging will encourage newcomers to WW1 stuff. I've never tried lozenge decals, so it's about time I learned! I've got the early version - I hope my preview wasn't too far off the mark...

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC
Greetings all; Here is some good news for the summer months. These could be considered for the online build.
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15585
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15583
 _GOTOTOP