_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
News
Scale Aircraft Conversions: Albatros & Camel Metal Wheel Struts
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:39 PM UTC

Scale Aircraft Conversions [SAC] has released replacement white metal undercarriage struts for the Wingnut Wings 1/32 scale Albatros B.II and Sopwith Camel.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 05:43 PM UTC
I really don't know why modellers waste their money on SAC 'metal' undercarriage sets as the ones I have tried before were simply a soft pewter style metal that bent alarmingly whilst cleaning up and offered no real advantage over the kit parts whatsoever and with actually less detail.

Perhaps their non WW1 sets are better than those I tried and junked however having built a number of WNW kits now, the kit parts are perfectly robust and solid enough as the finished kits even in 1/32 are hardly big and heavy anyway.

My idea of a metal u/c set that serves a real purpose is the jewel like AMK set for their 1/48 MIG 31 which was a great improvement and investment due to the quality of the metal u/c set itself and the much improved stability in supporting the weight of such a big model.

That said - each to their own.

Gary
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 10:17 PM UTC
I would like to know if these really are beneficial. I have built only one WNW kit (Se-5) and the undercarriage was not as strong as I would have liked, so there may be a need for metal ones-- if the metal is not soft and bendable.
 _GOTOTOP