_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Airfix: P-51D Mustang
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 06:47 PM UTC

There must be something in the air, because Mustang fever is striking everywhere! Now Airfix have released CAD shots of their own 1:48 Mustang project - a highly detailed P-51D aiming for release late summer next year.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 07:00 PM UTC
I remember someone recently complaining about all the Bf109s coming out ....

seems Eduard, Meng and Airfix started a new trend

not sure I'll be getting one of the Airfix ponies as I like to wait for Eduard, but who knows. I love to buy kits and there are sure enough markings to build.

cheers

Steffen
P.S. hope the upscale their bomber suppy set
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

It's often said there are certainly subjects that the majors can't afford not to have in their ranges, and I guess the Mustang is one of them. Airfix undoubtedly know their market - and in the UK, at least, their kits (along with Revell) are much more widely available in LHSs than Eduard and Meng. They are very competitively priced too (and likely to become more so with the state of Sterling...), so I can see the Mustang doing well.

But, like I said in the Meng news thread, I really do wish a mainstream manufacturer would tackle the P-51H and F-82. Perhaps a manufacturer should do a sort of crowd-funding, whereby if enough people commit to purchase a particular subject and it passes the break-even point, the kit is produced.

All the best

Rowan
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:24 AM UTC
I will always welcome a another new P-51. After building Airfix's new Defiant and Hurricane I am more than willing to purchase a few P-51's from them. Their new kits are a great value for how detailed they are.
Photoguy1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 06:42 AM UTC
Great, I'm always up for another Mustang and from the CAD drawings this looks to be a nice one.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 08:26 AM UTC
I am interested. Can't wait to see comparisons with the Tamiya - isn't it supposed to be the 1/48 Gold standard Mustang? Regardless, the underwing stores have sold me on Airfix's new P-51, so long as it is 1/2-way decent.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 11:47 PM UTC
Sorry, but I just can't get excited about another P-51D in any scale.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 05:27 AM UTC
Yeah, I'm with Joel - I just don't care. Even if I buy another P-51D in 1/48th, it will still be the Tamiya kit.
Photoguy1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I'm with Joel - I just don't care. Even if I buy another P-51D in 1/48th, it will still be the Tamiya kit.

Even if the Airfix is a better kit? After all the 1/48th scale Spitfire I from Airfix is better than the Tamiya. Boycotting the Airfix release is unlikely to get them to produce a P-51 H.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi again

I'll undoubtedly get one at some stage. Tamiya's kit is excellent, but they tripped up on the wheel well. It's nice to see in the CAD views that Airfix (and Meng by the look of it) have got the rear spar right.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's often said there are certainly subjects that the majors can't afford not to have in their ranges, and I guess the Mustang is one of them. Airfix undoubtedly know their market - and in the UK, at least, their kits (along with Revell) are much more widely available in LHSs than Eduard and Meng. They are very competitively priced too (and likely to become more so with the state of Sterling...), so I can see the Mustang doing well.

Hi Rowan,

maybe you misread my posting. I am NOT complaining, neither more Bf 109s nor Mustangs or Spitfires. I'll always find an ace to build. I hope Airfix will get the production to a better quality surface. On current kits it is smooth enough for camouflaged birds but for metal finishes it is a little too grainy (IMHO).

Furthermore I think focussing on things that sell is a rather good move and provides funds for other subjetcs (like certain british boats with wings ... which will probably sell well in commonwealth countries)

All in all we see the bubble growing and the consolidation might not be far away, so lets enjoy every new kit in the only true scale 1/48.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 03:26 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Don't worry - I didn't take your first post as a complaint.

As regards Airfix's styrene in recent kits, although it has a satin finish straight off the sprues, it does polish up quickly to a beautiful shine. I've been tinkering with the Defiant as a back-burner project when I'm away from home (I'm adding rivets) and am impressed how nicely it buffs up.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP