_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A naval P-47?
pampa14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Santa Catarina, Brazil
KitMaker: 241 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:35 PM UTC

Looking for naval fighters on the web I found this article with pictures of Republic P-47 Thunderbolts embarked on aircraft carriers. There was a naval version of this plane? The report and photos, never seen by me before, can be viewed at the link below:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/um-p-47-naval.html

Best Regards!
LinusB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 105 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 05:03 PM UTC
It appears the USS Manila Bay transported 37 Army Republic P-47 Thunderbolts of the Army Air Forces' 73rd Fighter Squadron, 318th Fighter Group, to the Mariana Islands. Steaming via Eniwetok, she reached the eastern approaches to Saipan on 19 June 1944.

On 23 June, Manila Bay came under enemy air attack during refueling operations east of Saipan. Four Aichi D3A Val dive bombers attacked her from dead ahead, dropping their bombs which exploded wide to port. As a precautionary and rather unusual move which Raymond A. Spruance later characterized as "commendable initiative", Manila Bay launched four of the P-47 thunderbolts she was ferrying to fly protective CAP until radar screens were clear of contacts. The Army fighters then flew to Saipan, their intended destination. Manila Bay launched the remaining planes the next day and returned to Eniwetok, arriving on 27 June

On the fourth to last photo you can see the 61 painted on the flight deck which was Manila Bay's pennant number.

Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 07:11 PM UTC
I had seen some of these pics before but without context. Truly remarkable that the 47s were launched as a CAP rather than just for ferrying.

Somewhere on the intertubes there are also pics of P-40s being launched from a USN carrier for participation in Operation Torch.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 - 12:36 AM UTC
looks like they are photos of several different ferrying runs by the carrier or several different carriers. planes are different and some shots they are not fully assembled.

joe

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC
It is a very cool idea though. I was planning a go on a P-47M-N Night Fighter but this is even better. Maybe someone does it before me now eh?
 _GOTOTOP