World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Academy B-25B Mitchell
LCB248
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 05:27 AM UTC
Thanks Joel. That's a huge help!
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel: I look forward to your next post in this "anything but OOB build."

Brian

Quoted Text

Brian,

The other reason is that for the 1st time in my "Adult Modeling Life", I've started another kit, and plan on alternating stages/steps so each build will take individually longer, but the combined time total is about the same as if I built them separately. As I stated that I've come out of my modeling closet concerning a very personal interest in building certain race cars, and cars from eras long past. That 1st most modest effort is the Ebbro 1/20 scale Lotus 49. My 2nd all time favorite F1 car. While I realize that most of you don't share my passion, I'll be posting some updates on the automakers site as I feel my way through the build.

the 3rd reason, and the other reason for modeling race cars, is that for years on end I've done literally nothing but seat at my workbench for the vast majority of time that I'm home, and honestly my Mojo of late seems to have been some what decreasing. So I'm also now spending less time actively modeling. I've found that the two options have helped me once again focus on my modeling both venues with a somewhat different perspective.

Joel

Hey man, whatever "floats your boat." (Sorry, I couldn't resist taking this discussion to the oceans).

I remember when I was a kid I used to hate all those car models, especially the drag racers and "funny cars." I was a serious young man at that time, and all this just seemed way too frivolous for me. Bring on the military hardware!

In fact, throughout my entire modeling career I have never built "a car model." However, the B-17 build finally has me intrigued enough to buy support vehicles for the Luscious Lady diorama I am planning. So far I have the Tamiya staff car, the Hasegawa "Follow Me" jeep, and the small Tamiya fuel truck. And I am thinking of getting an ambulance--all in 1/48. There is also that funky tractor that is part of the Monogram B-24 model.

I don't expect to litter the entire diorama with all these vehicles, but I have come to the conclusion that having a few of them strategically placed in my display cabinet will complement my existing builds nicely, by showing relative scale in a way all of us can relate to. Plus, they might just be fun to put together.

Do send me a private message or post publicly how to get to your auto build blog and I will be happy to follow that too.

Brian
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2016 - 12:02 AM UTC
Brian,
I'll pm you or even make a shameless post here, once I actually start it. Just haven't done enough to warrant it as yet.

I do hear you about those car kits from our youth. But these are super detailed 1/20 scale kits from Tamiya and Ebbro.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:04 PM UTC
Maybe a bit off-topic but Chuk is alive and well, he has a blog that was updated just a few days ago! http://chukw.blogspot.se/

Joel! Stuck in the references? If so, I know that feeling myself...

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:20 PM UTC
Magnus,
Thanks for the link. I just added it to my favorites, and will drop by and see what Chuck and the girls are up to.
Joel
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 12:16 AM UTC

Hi, Joel, fellas! Sorry to have been absent- the move to Widbey has been keep me busy and somewhat off-balance. I hear you about the whole mojo thing- uprooting your life can truly affect your concentration and creativity! I am finally back at it, and have a thread in the "modern" section- please click the "follow" box and keep up-to-date. https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/236474&page=1

Your Mitchell is looking good, Joel- I've been quietly following along. I haven't been commenting much in any of the forums- I'll try to get back to that, too.

Cheers!
chuk
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 01:23 AM UTC
chuck,

Really nice to hear from you. Glad you're enjoying my B-25 build. Will be checking out your build thread in a few.

So how are the girls these days?
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
Well, it's been give or take a month since my last update. Time sure flies when you're not making much if any postable progress. I'm at the ugly duckling stage of the build, putty, sanding, putty, sanding etc. for each sub assembly.

I've finally got it close enough to install the glass, mask, and finally prime, so I thought I'd post a update. But once the 2 nose glass sections were added, it quickly became apparent that the real modeling work was just about to start.

The bomber/gunner nose section is a completely separate sub assembly, so that the various versions could use the same basic fuselage. I built up the sub assembly as per kit instructions. Test fitted it, and it lined up perfectly with the main fuselage, so I figured all was well, or so I thought. Unfortunately, when I test fitted th two piece nose glass, the top glass section was to shallow in profile as was the nose gunners glass.

If you look carefully under the chin, you'll see a rather nasty step. Now I could have filed and sanded it down, creating a greater slope then the real aircraft, which also would effect the install of the bombers look down glass. So I decided to build up the area in front of the step using Vallejo's white acrylic putty, at least for a base coat to work with.

Af for the top of the main front glass, I started to build up the area behind it with .020 sheet, and blend it in with Bondo. Please excuse the rough look as I haven't done any sanding or blending as yet.

I built up the basic wing assemblies, and drilled out the 3 ID lights, backing them up with some sheet.

I was rather surprised at the poor overall fit of the engine Nacelles, but so be it.

If nothing else, the "fit" was consistent on both sides.

I then glued on the horizontal stabilizer, and had the expected cleanup and blending in. Fortunately, nothing major by any means.

Several reviews of this kit said that the wings fit so well, that you could literally paint them separately, then glue them to the fuselage, so I just had to dry fit everything as see for myself.

With a gentle nudge, one wing fit perfectly, while the other is just a tad off. Still, I think I'll do it the old fashion way, and install 1st, then paint.

Joel

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:51 AM UTC
Good work Joel.

Glad to see another update. It just goes to show that no matter what we do, there is a monster of a kit waiting for us somewhere.

I would like to learn how to work with clear plastic in a way where it wasn't always the fuselage that had to lose material... Or even worse, having to fill and sand near it. ..probably pipe dreams....but it would be nice not to be a slave to the vagaries of clear plastic.

Cheers,

Gary
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 12:16 PM UTC
Very nice work Joel. Looks like you had to use substantial amounts of putty; I have been there on a build or two and it is a bit of a grind.

Off this build topic a bit, I build F1 cars as a change of pace, either 1/20 or 1/24 scale. At the risk of sounding geeky, I own a game called Formula De with a lot of the expansion tracks; I run a 16 race season with my local gaming group and for the past three seasons I have built the type of car the winner "drove" to win the "World Driver's Championship". Team Red Bull won last season and I built Tamiya's excellent 1/20 scale RBR F1 car, great kit, and a nice change from the muted paint schemes I normally paint. If you would like, I can share some of my build insights for building F1 car kits.

Ernest
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good work Joel.

Glad to see another update. It just goes to show that no matter what we do, there is a monster of a kit waiting for us somewhere.

I would like to learn how to work with clear plastic in a way where it wasn't always the fuselage that had to lose material... Or even worse, having to fill and sand near it. ..probably pipe dreams....but it would be nice not to be a slave to the vagaries of clear plastic.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary,
I've shimmed, shaved, beveled, and filed to change the base angle of clear parts, but by their very nature, you can't do with them as you can with the body they attach to. If for no other reason, the clear plastic is brittle, cracks, and breaks with little to no warning, and repairs are iffy at best.

I changed the angle that the main nose clip glass seats at so it tilts forward. That helped to reduce the step I was dealing with on the nose glass. I did this both by sanding the fuselage and glass on their bases.

The main glass just has the wrong oval shape. The sides matt up perfectly, so I couldn't try to pinch the sides to raise the top. That's why I elected to go with a plastic shim and blend it in.

The nose glass step is a real killer. So I decided to work in stages with an acrylic filler and just soften the step to a transitional slope as I really have no room to work it out gradually.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work Joel. Looks like you had to use substantial amounts of putty; I have been there on a build or two and it is a bit of a grind.

Off this build topic a bit, I build F1 cars as a change of pace, either 1/20 or 1/24 scale. At the risk of sounding geeky, I own a game called Formula De with a lot of the expansion tracks; I run a 16 race season with my local gaming group and for the past three seasons I have built the type of car the winner "drove" to win the "World Driver's Championship". Team Red Bull won last season and I built Tamiya's excellent 1/20 scale RBR F1 car, great kit, and a nice change from the muted paint schemes I normally paint. If you would like, I can share some of my build insights for building F1 car kits.

Ernest

Ernest,
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who builds cars as a much needed change of pace, as well as deep life long interest of mine.

Please do share any insights with me, as I can use all t he help I can get.

So far the switch to 2 builds at once is proving to be much to stressful for me to enjoy both. So once I finish the Lotus 49 cockpit, the build is on hold till the Mitchell is done and in the books.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC
Good to see some plastic movement once again!

Sorry about the clear parts, it's frustrating! A friend of mine advised me to "built the kit to fit the clear parts". A good thought but sadly a lot easier said than done!

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good to see some plastic movement once again!

Sorry about the clear parts, it's frustrating! A friend of mine advised me to "built the kit to fit the clear parts". A good thought but sadly a lot easier said than done!

Magnus

Magnus,
Sure wish I had that advice before I added the clip. Finished sanding and polishing the top glass, and hand brushed on some primer sealer. Came out perfect. So now it's just doing battle with the nasty bottom step. Of course there is all the rest of the glass to deal with, then mask all of it. One of my least favorite modeling jobs.
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC
Joel:

I am surprised this model requires as much putty work as your build shows. I thought it would be more of a shake and bake exercise except for the specific details for the B model. And what's with that cut out underneath the chin just aft of the nose glass? I haven't seen that before.

Work continues, at a glacial pace, on the 17. Should have a post up soon.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel:

I am surprised this model requires as much putty work as your build shows. I thought it would be more of a shake and bake exercise except for the specific details for the B model. And what's with that cut out underneath the chin just aft of the nose glass? I haven't seen that before.

Work continues, at a glacial pace, on the 17. Should have a post up soon.

Brian,
This is turning out to be anything but a shake n Bake build for sure. The main fuselage seams needed very little putty, just blending work. but the tail section fit wasn't to today's standards. Same for the nacelles. The fit was ok with no real steps, but really wide gaps that needed both filling and contouring. The nose clip was built the best I could, but it looks like I didn't get it quite right. So all that body work was needed. The top and bottom steps were somewhat a result of that, but not all of it.

The rectangle opening you're referring to is directly under the Norton bombsight, so that would be it's function and reason for being there. I really don't have a definitive picture of the bottom of the nose but one, and it's a restored aircraft. If you look just behind the glass nose, you'll see that smaller glass window for the Norton sight. But it's right up against the nose glass, and in the AM model, it's slightly back.

Lately, your progress has been way better then mine. I'm semi retired from work, but they got me to work 6 days per week with overnights, and I've had little to no time to model, just be on the computer every so often during the day.

Joel
KPHB17FE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 12:26 AM UTC
If you are referring to the bit of Plexiglas on the lower right side of the nose, that was standard on the early B-25's and the J's through Block 15. What a lot of people miss is that at Block 20, the glass nose went from having one fixed gun on the right side to two fixed guns on the right side. At that time, that bit of Plexiglas was deleted and that area was made into a container for spent brass and links. It was not related to the Norden as that looked out through the plate glass in the center of the lower nose. Most of the clear nose was Plexiglas, only the bomb sighting window was actual glass.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:14 AM UTC
Joel,
Surely that picture is making you think about foil. Scarily, it's making me think of building a B-25!

Gary
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:20 AM UTC
Karl,
Thanks so much for your response as I now know that it had nothing to do with the Norton Bomb site. Was it just a look down window?
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Surely that picture is making you think about foil. Scarily, it's making me think of building a B-25!

Gary

Gary,
Never gave foiling, or more likely a NFM as I'm building a Doolittle raider that were all OD/NG. But I would love to see you tackle that project. Now that would be one spectacular finish for sure.

Joel
KPHB17FE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Was it just a look down window?
Joel

Yes. On the early B-25's, there was a .30 gun in the nose and the theory was the bombardier would move it around as needed. There were ball sockets on each side, in the nose, and one in that little panel. So if someone was coming at you from low and the right, I guess you could shoot at him. Like I said, theory...
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes. On the early B-25's, there was a .30 gun in the nose and the theory was the bombardier would move it around as needed. There were ball sockets on each side, in the nose, and one in that little panel. So if someone was coming at you from low and the right, I guess you could shoot at him. Like I said, theory...

"Hold your position while I change sockets so I can get a good shot at you."

Awesome. I will allow one tiny "war story" from my very undistinguished naval service, circa 1972-73.

I was the gunnery officer on the USS Douglas H. Fox (DD-779). We were heading south from Halifax and as luck would have it were holding a GQ exercise. It was very late in the afternoon and the sun was setting over a crisp, clear sea and sky. I had a perfect view from the open hatch of the Mk. 37 gun director I manned, for the 5"/38 gun mounts - three twin ones. (Yeah, this was REAL WWII equipment and technology).

We weren't expecting any "bogies" as part of a drill or anything, so I was incredibly surprised when out of the setting sun a Canadian S2F Grumman Tracker buzzed the ship "on the deck," flying over us a couple of hundred feet above me. He was GONE in a flash.

I had ZERO time to react by moving the director to pretend "engage" and to start "acquiring" and tracking him. What this small incident taught me was that with WWII technology the training level had to be proficiency at a totally reflexive level, even with a "modern" tracking device like a director. It was quite sobering to realize how vulnerable I and my crewmates were in this antique of a ship, even with a common-era mock opponent.

Pity the hand held gunner having to "change sockets." Simply impossible.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 08:17 PM UTC
Karl,
Thanks for the explaining the exact use for the look down glass.

Brian,
I'm sure it had to be frustrating to say the least, and some what depressing that what they wanted you to be able to do was in actuality not realistically possible nor effective even if you managed to accomplish that task.

Anyway, I'm slowly making progress with each glass section, and then masking using the Eduard mask set that so far is 100% perfect. Of course the hardest part is actually being able to see those masks as the laser cut lines are so fine.

One small issue about that look down glass, I some how knocked over the plastic container that I kept all the glass in for convenience and safety, and now I can't find it. Wonderful so here comes another side job of making one.

For a OOB fun build, the B-25 sure doesn't fit that bill by any stretch of the imagination.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 01:48 AM UTC
It's been quite some time but I've finally gotten enough work done for a loooong over due update.

I 1st concentrated my efforts on getting the fuselage ready for priming. Those two nasty steps where the nose glass meets the fuselage have been dealt with, with numerous applications of Bondo. I'm pretty sure that it's good to go, but only a coat of primer will tell for sure.

I was smart enough this time to order the Eduard B-25B masking set. It took some searching as it seemed to be out of stock just about everywhere. I guess due to this kits release.

My last update had the start of both wing sub assemblies. Other then the upper and lower wing halves lining up quite well, nothing else was even close. Here's just a quick reminder of how much work the engine Nacelles took to blend them into the lower wing. I also installed the exhausts which needed just a little filler to close the gaps on both sides of the insert. And finally I cut the demarcation lines between each cowl flap with a razor saw to add some much needed depth.

The insert for the air intakes on the top of the Nacelles were too shallow and didn't have the right contour so quite a bite of sanding and Bondo was needed to blend them in.

Here's one wing basically ready for Priming. I've also installed the wing landing lights in both wings, which was par for the course and needed quite a lot of reshaping, and then polishing.

And finally the belly of the fuselage masked and ready for priming.

I'm quite sure that a coat or two of MIG AMMO Acrylic Gray primer will reveal quite a few areas that need additional work.

Joel

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 02:42 AM UTC
Neat patch and repair work Joel, it's looking good and it will be great to see it hit the paint shop!

Cheers, D