_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
News
Kitty Hawk: SH-2G Super Seasprite
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:46 PM UTC

Glen Coleman has sent us the boxtop artwork for Kitty Hawk's forthcoming SH-2G Super Seasprite. The kit is set for a November release.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
AeroScale: 159 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:54 AM UTC
Wish it was in 1/32nd! Hopefully, eventually!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hi Neil

Well, Kitty Hawk are increasingly thinking big, so you never know...

All the best

Rowan
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 01:19 AM UTC
Another Whirly bird to look forward too.

Is this the version the Kiwis use?
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 07:29 AM UTC
Yep we use the SH2G variant of the Sea Sprite.
1.Hope it comes with RNZAF markings.
2.I really should head out to Whenuapai and take some photos,from the fence line.

We regularly get them flying overhead.

Cheers

Chris.
(See kiwis can fly)
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:02 AM UTC
Thanks Chris, I too hope this one comes with Kiwi markings it'll make a change from US markings.

I do like to build aircraft and ships in the markings of the colonies if I can
nzgunnie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2015 - 01:25 PM UTC
It looks like it does come with kiwi markings: A few points to note, looking at the colour guide:

http://www.kiwimodeller.com/media/kunena/attachments/183/SH-2GKittyHawk.jpg

Wrong paint colour specified, correct colour is FS26440. Hopefully the markings are the right shade of blue-grey, but they can't be any worse than the model alliance sheet which is almost green.

The NZ doesn't have a white underside, the FS26440 is on all external surfaces, although those surfaces with the non slip grip tread coating look darker and browner because they get grubby and can never be got completely clean.

I don't know what the thing aft of the lower ARC-210 antenna is, (ARC-210 antenna being the blade antenna on the top and bottom of the rear fuselage) it's not on ours, nor is the odd right angled thingee half way down the underside. Our cargo hook doesn't have the fairing around it. Also, generally we have the decklock underneath.

Good to see the smoke marker dispensers correctly mounted on the aft fuse.

Our fuel tank filler caps are not red.

Mavericks and LAU117s should be FS 26440 as well, although since there are no outboard pylons it is a bit of a moot point. The aircraft do sometimes fly without outboard pylons so if you don't feel up to scratch building those (assuming they aren't on the sprues somewhere) the kit is still accurate in that sense.

The Mk-46 Torpedo isn't the colour specified, it's mostly varying shades of metallic green, with an orange air stabiliser parachute on the aft end and a black rubber nose protector fitted until take off. However we almost never load a war shot (I'm not sure we have ever loaded one, except maybe for a trial once), and the dummy torpedo that we do load is actually bright orange with a black band spiralling along its length, but again, without outboard pylons that's a bit academic since torpedoes can't be carried on the inboard stations of the SH-2G(NZ). The kit comes with the correct 100gal Aux tanks too (the longer ones), which are carried on the inboard stations.

If you wish to model and SH-2G(I) which is currently entering service to replace the SH-2G(NZ) there are a host of additional external modifications for the EW sensors and the beacon airfoil unit. Also the I model has a glass cockpit and is painted in a fairly complicated three tone cammo scheme, with the markings in contrasting colours depending on which part of the airframe they are on.
 _GOTOTOP