_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
MMP: eBooks from MMP
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC

MMP Books have sent us details of two new eBooks. The books can be downloaded direct from iTunes.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 03:37 AM UTC
It is a shame these are not available for Android devices. It is a shame when a company limits themselves to only one technology, they would be missing out on a large market. Market share for iPad shows that they only have 36% of the tablet market, and Android owns the other 64%. Thus by aiming the product at only iPad, they are losing out on the biggest part of the tablet market.
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 04:02 AM UTC
I'm assuming these are like the Gladiator one they did before - done using iBooks Author, which is required for the interactive aspects. There isn't a cross-platform format that does this sort of interactive stuff, that I'm aware of.
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 04:19 AM UTC
Argh, hit Enter too soon. The percentage of the market is important, but the likelihood of actually *selling* something is too. Apple may only be 36% of the market, but (I'm sure somebody will correct me if these numbers are off) something like 7/10 copies of a piece of iOS software are actually bought whereas the number is around 4/10 for Android software - figure in the relative market sizes to get *paying* market sizes and it's a toss up, because while only 50% of "the market" are paying customers, that 50% is split right down the middle between Android and iOS. I'm sure if these were just plain ePub e-books, they'd be on both platforms (which is what I'd personally prefer) but they may well have gone for the iBooks platform simply to reduce the extent to which the titles are copied.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 04:54 AM UTC
When you look at the cell phone market, there is a about the same percentage. Overall between cell phones and tablets, Apple only owns about 25%-30% off the market. Android has a major advantage as there is more then one manufacture, ie. Samsung, Nokia, Sony, etc. At the present time the Android market is much larger then iOS, this is mainly due to affordability. It also shows that the Android(Google store) has more apps, more support, and is making more money.

I have all this as I am currently working on a major mobile application project for a large world wide corporation. The only really difference in markets is Europe where the Microsoft phone holds about 10% of the market, which cuts into the Android market share as opposed to the Apple.

Market research is showing that making an app available on Android is more beneficial as it will reach a larger market share. The only statistic Apple has going for themselves is customer loyalty. Apple customers will continue to buy Apple products.
robertpe
Vendor
MMP BOOKS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 01:57 PM UTC
Sorry,
Interactive features are only possible on the iPads and Mac computers.
Blame Google and Android.
Also in not possible to do such a book for PC.
Regards
Robert
MMPBooks/Stratus
 _GOTOTOP