_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
News
Hataka: USMC Colours & Thinners
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:39 AM UTC

Hataka Hobby have sent us details of their most comprehensive paint set yet - 8 colours chosen for USMC helicopters ranging from their earliest usage to the present day. Also new is Hataka's own formula thinners, specially designed for their fast expanding range of high quality acrylic paints.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 09:01 PM UTC
Uhrah! Is this stuff available in the States?
pjanders
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 10:52 PM UTC
You can go to this link (Stevens International) and search for a shop near you where these paints are sold:

http://stevenshobby.com/hobbyshoplocator.aspx?pn=HTK-AS9
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:47 PM UTC
Another special Acrylic thinner for a line of paint. It just strikes me as somewhat odd that every line of paint has it's own paint thinner and air brush cleaner. I checked the link for a location near me, and there is one hobby shop like 12 hours from me that sells it in NY. Joel
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 02:28 AM UTC
The link showed no LHSs.

UPDATE: I did find one LHS in Southern NJ, but couldn't get anything to come up generally. Stevens' search engine is poor in that respect. Does anyone in the States sell Hataka online?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 05:36 AM UTC
Joel I can understand your comment on yet another thinner, but in fairness it is not up to a paint manufacturer to produce a paint that works with someone elses thinner. It is up to them to provide a paint that is easy to use, easy to apply, easy to clean up and that provides an accurate finish as they see it. The thinner should then make the previous statements possible and for all we know could be exactly the same as somebody elses thinner, but if they do not have control over someone elses thinner, it could be changed and result in the paint not working as advertised; the result we as modellers kick off putting the product down as a whole and it would all be because they advised the use of someone elses thinner.

I actually looked at this product for consideration after getting a Revell Cobra model, I have not made a decision yet on the matter but the thinner is not something that bothers me.

On the subject of thinner: I do wish a company would state on their thinner the recommended thinning rate for their paint line and take away some of the guess work, something modellers often struggle with, especially so when first using a spray brush.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC
UPDATE: the reason nothing else comes up on Stevens site is THAT is their location (Magnolia, NJ). So right now, no LHS or online retailer is selling Hataka in the US.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 - 01:02 AM UTC
Cheer up Bill

A quick search found Micro World Games, so there probably are other outlets in the USA. Maybe not many LHSs yet - but, if the system in the USA works like it does over here, I imagine shops supplied by Stevens can get them to order?

All the best

Rowan
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 04:28 AM UTC
Thanks, Rowan, I don't need an LHS if there is a reliable Internet marketer. Much obliged.
 _GOTOTOP