A6M5 Zero Paint Scemes
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have a question about the paint schemes used on the A6M5 Zero. From what I can find and read so far pretty much all of the M5 zeros used the IJN green with light white/gray under carriage with black cowling. Do any of you know if there were any M5 zeros that used a different scheme?
I finally got my Tamiya 1/32 zero kit and am really drooling over starting on it even tho I am not sure how soon I will actually be able to. I would really like to stay authentic with the paint scheme but boy, this large scale zero sure would really nice with some of the other schemes used by the Japanese. .
I know in the end I could paint it however I want but I just can't bring myself to break tradition from keeping the aircraft authentic to make and model.

Thanks and good modeling,
Wayne
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Wayne

Late model Zeros were often painted in field-applied camouflage, so there is a huge variety of schemes for you to chose from. :-)

A great site to check out is j-aircraft - they have masses of research and references on Japanese WW2 aircraft and colours, including a whole section on Zero paint schemes :-)

I hope you're going to join the Rising Sun group-build - it should be great!

Hope this helps

Rowan
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi Wayne,

You'll get pleny of color schemes for a wide variety of a/c at the Aeromaster Decals section on Eagle Strike Productions site ( http://www.eaglestrikeproductions.com).

Check out the 1/48 decals section. You'll surely find truckloads of references!!

HTH,
BP.
 _GOTOTOP