_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Airfix: New-Tool Hurricane
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 01:52 PM UTC

Coming soon from Airfix is what looks set to cross at least one of the subjects off my Most Wanted list - a new-tool quarterscale Hurricane Mk. I.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 02:54 PM UTC
this is going to be a very interesting, I wonder how it will stack up against the hasegawa and italeri releases... i'll be getting one as soon as it comes out.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 03:18 PM UTC
My aircraft buying is going to be very limited this year, most things will be 1/350 naval however anything from the Hawker stable can always find a way into the stash and this will be one of those.
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 09:32 AM UTC
A very welcome release from Airfix. I'm sure the fabric effect will be well done, as it was on their Swordfish.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 12:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With all due respect to Mal, it's great to see the Hurricane back in the limelight after a string of Spitfires from Airfix!

I agree Rowan, this looks like it will be well worth it and I'm sure that Airfix will produce a convincing fabric affect Although it is true that you just can't have too many Spitfires some Hurricane backup is also welcome
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

this is going to be a very interesting, I wonder how it will stack up against the hasegawa and italeri releases... i'll be getting one as soon as it comes out.

It can hardly be worse than either. The Hasegawa has wingtips about five times thicker than actual, Italeri ten times... All the Hasegawa kits I have seen look like the wingtips are pointing down, owing in part to the weird wing taper that makes the wing far too thick overall... This even on builds by well-known award studded builders...

Gaston
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It can hardly be worse than either. The Hasegawa has wingtips about five times thicker than actual, Italeri ten times... All the Hasegawa kits I have seen look like the wingtips are pointing down, owing in part to the weird wing taper that makes the wing far too thick overall... This even on builds by well-known award studded builders...

Gaston

You always give me a good laugh, Gaston. Not sure why; I suppose its your intense dedication to seeing the negative in everything. Thanks for posting. I needed a good laugh
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:52 PM UTC
I never saw very much wrong with the Hasagawa kit, yes the fabric affect was slightly over done, but it was a nice kit to build and it looked like a Hurricane. I can't say that I ever measured the thickness of the wing tips, seems like a measure too far to me!
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 03:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gaston

well as I now have access to a real hurricane that saw combat in ww2 maybe i'll do a bit of measuring... or maybe i'll just take a bunch of pictures and draw lines over them.....
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:22 AM UTC
Do all the kits mentioned look like Hurricanes? I'm pretty sure they do.

Thanks again for tbe laugh Gaston!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do all the kits mentioned look like Hurricanes? I'm pretty sure they do.

To see if they look like a Hurricane you will need to look at the fuselage in profile. Apparently the wings are soooooooo thick that you can't actually see the fuselage from side-on !

I haven't built a Hurricane for years, will certainly grab one of these when they hit the shelves.

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:59 PM UTC
Good news. The recent Airfix kits seem to be quite good quality. I would have wished for more deal options though.

Does anybody kow the story behind the box art? Seems like it is a real historic moment being pictured.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC
http://www.jetagemuseum.btck.co.uk/Aircraft/HawkerHurricane

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/15644-wing-commander-ken-mackenzie-rip/
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
Hi Antoni, thanks for sharing the links. Interesting story.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gaston

well as I now have access to a real hurricane that saw combat in ww2 maybe i'll do a bit of measuring... or maybe i'll just take a bunch of pictures and draw lines over them.....

That would be a good start

I'm always impressed by aircraft modelling's high standard and refined perception of critical issues... For instance, they always make sure you can tell the make of the model better than the make of the subject...

It is very important to make sure you never confuse the real thing with the model: This is the wingtips on the real thing for instance, same on all variants:

This on the other hand allows you to tell it is a Hasegawa kit, perhaps not five times thicker but a good three or four...:

So Italeri had to go a few steps further, or else what would be the point of issuing a newer kit? (Tamiya here is happy to concur and re-issue it, as they are known to out-do all others, though not usually in the wingtips I have to admit):

But you have to agree that, on that measure, the Hasegawa is holding its own with the newer kit quite well, especialy if you take account the bluntness of the leading edge radius:

It just is so neat when you can tell right away this is an aircraft that would have trouble flying, with very draggy unprofiled wingtips, so everything is clear and does not lead to confusion you know?

BTW, good work by some of these modellers on fixing the dihedral: Some big names forget...

Gaston

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 - 12:20 AM UTC
has anyone noticed in the sprue shots that there is a desert air filter...and the sea hurricane arrester hook
 _GOTOTOP