_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Hataka: New paint sets
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 01:31 PM UTC

Hataka Hobby are to launch five new acrylic paint sets for aviation subjects, including an early and late Luftwaffe colour sets.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 01:08 AM UTC
Cheers Andy

These do look really interesting. I'm definitely keen to try the Polish colours, as I've several subjects itching to find space on the workbench that could use them.

All the best

Rowan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
I welcome new paints. "...historically verified, all true colour..." I am interested in how these will be judged by modelers with access to actual color samples. Modelers are known for unshakable solidarity concerning "historically verified true colour".
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 03:19 AM UTC
Polish colours do sound intersing, too.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... Modelers are known for unshakable solidarity concerning "historically verified true colour".

Hi Fred

Come on now - when have modellers ever disagreed over colours?

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC
I do question the need for another line of Acrylic paints. Right now we have as mainstream companies: Tamiya, Model Master, Testors, LifeColor, Gunze/Mr.Color, Italeri, Vallejo, Humbrol, Xtracrylix, Revell, and I'm sure I missed a few more.

For the most part, only Tamiya Acrylics are limited in scope, as you end up having to mix most of your WW11 colors to a FS chip.

Having a Polish set is a plus as it's not offered by other companies. Their success will depend on the their acceptance with the mainstream modelers. Jets are more popular then Props on most modeling sites these days, but their color offerings either in sets or singles are only WW11 at this point.

I went to their home page, but can't find out any other information on their paints. Are they alcohol or water based. What do they thin with etc.?

Joel
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Polish colours do sound intersing, too.

So there're three of us that think the same...
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
If these are alcohol based, they'll fall under the dangerous goods brought on by our all knowing regulators, so there will be no mail order.

In the spring, I'm heading into the forest to gather different berries to squish together and try and create 'historically verified, true colors'!! Soon, that's all we'll have left
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Ben

The regulations must differ from country to country, because I've bought alcohol-based paints and thinners by mail order recently without problem, both within the UK and from overseas.

All the best

Rowan
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

Yes, I used to buy it all, and fairly recently. Now, I cannot buy Tamiya acrylic or Humbrol enamel etc,etc... from the USA or the UK. I believe Japan still does send, at my own risk.

The fella at the LHS says he'll hide stuff in a model package, if I want it. I not saying nutn'.

Cheers
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC
Almost all online Sprue Brother orders that contain paint, are shipped by land only. No air. Takes all of a 2 days longer, and it's a lot cheaper.

Ben, but there are a lot of water based acrylics that are excellent. LifeColor is my favorite by far. And they have every color you can think of.
Joel
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 09:41 PM UTC
The Polish color line is most welcome, I do have to question that HTK-A029 is both listed as RLM 65 and 78. I thought those colors were different hues?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi Chris

They are in my refs and sets of paint chips...

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 06:59 PM UTC
Ben,
I just read a similar thread on another modeling site. Some of the Canadians that live near the USA border have a Post Office box in a USA city, and have all their orders shipped there. They then make periodic trips there as needed. Saves them a lot of money over an extended period of time.

So this got me thinking about what could other Canadians do that don't live close enough to the border to make this a quick and easy trip? How about getting several modelers together in a kind of association, and jointly rent one box. Just make sure that one or two members can make the run lets say once per month. Pay their expenses, and the shipping costs from their house to yours. Plan ahead on needed models and supplies, and you're in business.
Joel
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ben,
I just read a similar thread on another modeling site. Some of the Canadians that live near the USA border have a Post Office box in a USA city, and have all their orders shipped there. They then make periodic trips there as needed. Saves them a lot of money over an extended period of time.

So this got me thinking about what could other Canadians do that don't live close enough to the border to make this a quick and easy trip? How about getting several modelers together in a kind of association, and jointly rent one box. Just make sure that one or two members can make the run lets say once per month. Pay their expenses, and the shipping costs from their house to yours. Plan ahead on needed models and supplies, and you're in business.
Joel

Hi, Joel. I have thought about your solutions before. Sadly, I feel like a lone stallion out here where I live; don't know of any plastic modellers close by (+/- 10,000 people in the area), and I'm 2hrs from the nearest city. I'll either have to drive to the city a couple of times a year and take what the LHS can supply, or get to squishing those colorful berries together.
I really do appreciate the thought your extending to this issue. Hopefully, the paint manufacturers will give it thought as well.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ben,

Joel

Hi, Joel. I have thought about your solutions before. Sadly, I feel like a lone stallion out here where I live; don't know of any plastic modellers close by (+/- 10,000 people in the area), and I'm 2hrs from the nearest city. I'll either have to drive to the city a couple of times a year and take what the LHS can supply, or get to squishing those colorful berries together.
I really do appreciate the thought your extending to this issue. Hopefully, the paint manufacturers will give it thought as well.

Ben,
Take it another step further. There are other Canadian modelers on this site. PM about this or a similar idea. See what you can work out. All you really need is a courier that will deliver from someone to you. If you're a member of other sites, do it there as well. Betcha you'll find that others will gladly join in.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP