_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FEATURE
October MOM winner
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 07:19 AM UTC
October's MOM winner was done by a man of few words but prodigious modelling talent.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Kepler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Genova, Italy
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 03:37 PM UTC
Model is stunning, but I think it should be a good thing to have some information from entrants.
To begin with, declaring scale should be mandatory, otherwise contest will be severely biased toward bigger scales. Then, it would be nice to know the brand of the kit, if aftermarket details were used, source of decals and type of paint.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 08:06 PM UTC
Well deserved, great build.Congratulations
Mike_Husky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Catania, Italy
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi guys

thank you for your comments.

Some details on model.
1/48 Scale
F4U-1 Corsair , 20 white, VMF 213 , Guadalcanal 1943. Pilot Lt. Foy R. Garison

Kit Tamiya 61016 , Pe Eduard 48351, Montex Mask MM 48074.
Wip on my Website:
http://michelangelosicilia.webnode.com/news/f4u-1-corsair-white-20-vmf-213-guadalcanal-1943/

Greetings
Michelangelo "Mike Husky"

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Model is stunning, but I think it should be a good thing to have some information from entrants.
To begin with, declaring scale should be mandatory, otherwise contest will be severely biased toward bigger scales. Then, it would be nice to know the brand of the kit, if aftermarket details were used, source of decals and type of paint.

That potential for bias is exactly why I won't display any scale information during the contest. After the contest I will reveal what scale the winning model is if the builder chose to tell me in their entry. If I'm not told, then I'm not about to try and guess. It's up to each contest entrant to decide whether they're going to tell us about their model or not. Yes, it's nice to know, but the point is a good model is a good model regardless whether we know exactly which one it is.
Kepler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Genova, Italy
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 11:34 PM UTC
The debate is as old as modelling itself. Is it better a complete scratch-built with one micro-mistake, such as an incorrect colour on a throttle handle, or an easy OOB with all correct colours? Talking of scales: in a single picture, a bigger scale model will always be at advantage over a smaller one. And I believe it could even be statistically measured. How many times “small scales” won?
That said, I respect different point of view, of course. In the end, what really matters is that this is a friendly competition, and gives us the opportunity to see great models!
Finally, I think this Corsair is truly an excellent model. The proof? Is a 48 and I thought it was a 32!
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC
Beautiful Corsair. Your weathering application is simply superb. Well done.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking of scales: in a single picture, a bigger scale model will always be at advantage over a smaller one.

I dispute that. One of these models is 1/24 and the other is 1/72. Which is which, I'll leave to you to guess:

Kepler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Genova, Italy
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 02:09 PM UTC
Ok, I stand corrected. A bigger scale model is not always at advantage. It is so an appreciable number of times. Moreover, the two pics show the other horn of the problem. If two models show exactly the same workmanship and detail, the smaller scale should be preferred, or at least I think so.
Of course, this is my humble opinion, and I don’t want to debate this topic further here. You’re doing an excellent job in running this contest, and the contest offers us excellent models to enjoy, regardless of scale.
In the end, this is the place to congratulate the winner. Mike deserves all our appreciation: his Corsair is superb and he can be proud of it!
modulla
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 03:06 PM UTC
If you take a photo of a 1/72 and one of a 1/32, the 1/72 has to be enlarged more to fill the same space on screen. A small mistake will then be more obvious. Taking a photo of a 1/72 is a great way of spotting small painting or gluing errors. It is also a great way of keeping yourself humble!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 10:17 AM UTC
Excellent! Congratulations.
Mike_Husky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Catania, Italy
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 01:57 PM UTC
Thank you guys for your great comments!!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you take a photo of a 1/72 and one of a 1/32, the 1/72 has to be enlarged more to fill the same space on screen. A small mistake will then be more obvious. Taking a photo of a 1/72 is a great way of spotting small painting or gluing errors. It is also a great way of keeping yourself humble!

It also depends to a very large extend on your skills as a photographer, and knowledge how to manipulate light settings, to make you model stand out.

With the correct lens and lighting, you can make a 6000 by 4000 pixels photo of evan a 1/144 scale model and reduce it to a 1000 by ... size for presentation on the site. In such case, most errors will have disapeared.

But all that is not that important, this site is about modelling, and each month we see magnificent results, that is all that matters.
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Talking of scales: in a single picture, a bigger scale model will always be at advantage over a smaller one.

I dispute that. One of these models is 1/24 and the other is 1/72. Which is which, I'll leave to you to guess:

So what you're seeking to illustrate here then Jess, is that I've made a 1/24 scale kit look like it was 1/72...

Just Joshin' of course - and I support the policy of not mentioning scale.

Take it easy

Steve
 _GOTOTOP