_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Eagle Editions Ltd.: Spitfire Mk. II Upgrades
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC

Eagle Editions have teamed up with Jim Hatch and Jeroen Peters of Large Scale Modeller to provide a pair of high quality resin correction sets for Revell Germany's popular new-tool 1:32 Spitfire Mk. II:

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 05:24 AM UTC
The kit has problems, so these and the ones from Barracuda Studios are welcome.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
While I'm not a 1/32 scale modeler (well not yet), Revell of Germany has certainly produced an excellent and very popular Spit Mk 11 for just $20. The two upgrade sets actually cost nearly $7 more then the kit. Just wondering if the targeted market for this kit would be willing to spend that much more for the upgrade sets.
Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While I'm not a 1/32 scale modeler (well not yet), Revell of Germany has certainly produced an excellent and very popular Spit Mk 11 for just $20. The two upgrade sets actually cost nearly $7 more then the kit. Just wondering if the targeted market for this kit would be willing to spend that much more for the upgrade sets.
Joel

Hi Joel

Revell's new Spit is an ideal subject for add-ons.

Cross-referencing to a comment I made about a recent review... I reckon $20 (I wish it was that over here - think double the price) provides plenty of "wriggle room" to splash out on upgrades for anyone not satisfied with a kit as it stands. Even in this day and age, with prices creeping up inexorably, when you get to $100 (as in the case I was concerned about), I think that all but the most dedicated (and, dare I say it, wealthy...) will begin to think twice.

All the best

Rowan
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 10:35 AM UTC
Joel, there simply isn't a practical alternative if you want an early Spitfire in 1/32nd scale. So rivet counters like myself welcome the chance to have ways of fixing the very real problems with this kit, even it means spending 2-3x the kit price (which is still about 1/2 the cost of a Tamiya Spitfire in 1/32nd scale).
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 05:44 PM UTC
It would be interesting to see two builds of the Revell Spitfire in one blog: one build without these after market parts and one build with them. I wonder if there would be much visible difference between the two for the "bog standard" builder.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 05:56 PM UTC
Some of the fixes are quite easy, but not the oil cooler; no one has yet addressed the inaccurate antenna though, nor the wheel well bulges?
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 07:47 PM UTC
I made a master for the oil cooler and reshaped the kit spinner then cast new ones in resin. They may not be as good as the commercial ones but they will do fo rme. I reshaped the blades as well, just have to get the resin to go all the way into the moulds.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 11:21 AM UTC
Bill,
My question/statement was more out of curiosity then anything else. I'm not a rivet counter by any means. To me if the finished model looks correct, then I'm satisfied with my efforts. I've yet to have measured a model nor compared it to any scale drawings.

What detailing I do these days it more to enhance a build, then correct errors in the kit.

Joel
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 04:05 AM UTC
Joel, it's a fair question and to each his own.

On at least two other fora, arguments over the kit came to virtual blows with one member banned from both sites. I'm not a Spitty expert, but those who are have described the kit's errors, including oil cooler, wheel well bulges, nose shape, propeller blades, and the cockpit.

Now, some modelers don't give a rat's ass about those problems, and 95% of those looking at the kit will say "that's bloody well a Spitfire." But for those who are looking for more accuracy, these AM goodies will be welcomed.

Different strokes for different folks?
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, it's a fair question and to each his own.

On at least two other fora, arguments over the kit came to virtual blows with one member banned from both sites. I'm not a Spitty expert, but those who are have described the kit's errors, including oil cooler, wheel well bulges, nose shape, propeller blades, and the cockpit.

Now, some modelers don't give a rat's ass about those problems, and 95% of those looking at the kit will say "that's bloody well a Spitfire." But for those who are looking for more accuracy, these AM goodies will be welcomed.

Different strokes for different folks?

A duel at dawn, weapons are calipers and heavy gauge reference books.........................
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 05:16 AM UTC
REALLY not trying to troll here, but does the spinner in the photo still look funky? Maybe I'm just not used to seeing a rotol spinner.

Edit; maybe it's the colour that's throwing me off.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 06:13 AM UTC
Bill,
I understand your point of view. And I realize that Tamiya doesn't make a Spitfire MkII, so the RoG is the only viable route for now. Looking at it from your point of view, double the price is still half of a Tamiya kit, so it would still be a bargain.

So one guy got himself banned from two forums over this issue not exactly the smartest of moves on his part.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP