1/72 Revell - Avro Lancaster
Viroxken
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi Everyone

I've finally finished my Lancaster model.
Over the last 5 years I've worked on this model from time to time. It's also my first model in probably 10 years. (I used to build more when I was a teenager) Looking back at those old models I really came a long way

Let me know what you think and what could be done better.

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Thomas,
a very nice and very clean build.
philmmusic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Solothurn, Switzerland
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 06:16 AM UTC
Very nice indeed. I like that plane a lot!
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Thomas,
a very nice and very clean build.

I`ll go with that - from what i`ve read and seen most bombers never survived long enough to get dirty,besides why spend all that time building it and painting it to cover it in crap !.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC
Thomas,
Well done. Sure hope that your next build doesn't take 5 years to finish

Over all, the finished model looks like a solid OOB, which is what your intention was. Paint, and decaling are excellent.

What I would have done is added an overall sludge wash of a darkish gray/earth using a product like Flory's Weathering Washes. Brush on. Let dry, then with a damp towel, and some Q tips you rub it off. It fills all the recesses and panel lines to add more definition to the surface details, especially between flying surfaces and tails in yellow. It would also tone down those bright colors.

Looking at your pictures, it seems that some of the major panel lines on the wings and flying surfaces have a darkening to their separation lines. Are those shadows or a pin wash. That's basically what you want to do over the entire model.

One small thing to watch for in your next build. The tires have a center seam line that should have been puttied and sanded to hide that joint line.

Joel
Viroxken
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 06:05 AM UTC
Thanks all for the comments.
Really appreciated!

Quoted Text

Thomas,
Well done. Sure hope that your next build doesn't take 5 years to finish

Over all, the finished model looks like a solid OOB, which is what your intention was. Paint, and decaling are excellent.

What I would have done is added an overall sludge wash of a darkish gray/earth using a product like Flory's Weathering Washes. Brush on. Let dry, then with a damp towel, and some Q tips you rub it off. It fills all the recesses and panel lines to add more definition to the surface details, especially between flying surfaces and tails in yellow. It would also tone down those bright colors.

Looking at your pictures, it seems that some of the major panel lines on the wings and flying surfaces have a darkening to their separation lines. Are those shadows or a pin wash. That's basically what you want to do over the entire model.

One small thing to watch for in your next build. The tires have a center seam line that should have been puttied and sanded to hide that joint line.

Joel

Thanks for the tips, I'm certain that I'll be trying out the washing technique in the future. The problem with this build has been the difference in quality, I've become more patient and perfectionistic over the years. But I'm also bothered by of the seamlines on the weels, but those were already done years ago But I'm learning step by step.

Everything is hand painted, I'm thinking of getting an airbrush. But if it's going to take another 5 years for my next model it's not really worth the investment
Although I've already started with a new kit.
 _GOTOTOP