_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FEATURE
1:48 Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 - 07:01 PM UTC
Jean Barby takes Hasegawa's veteran quarterscale Gustav to new heights while he waits for the all-new Eduard kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC
Jean, Just a fantastic build. Your paint & decals are near on perfect. What really sets this model apart from many is your weathering. I especially like the exhaust staining, and the oil staining on the bottom. A really superb effort.
Joel
cjattard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malta
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 06:38 AM UTC
Jean, that is a superb job you did on the 109, in building the kit, painting it and photographing it, all very well done and presented. Keep up with the great skills !
MS406C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Landes, France
KitMaker: 100 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
Well Carmel, I have been a long time follower of your jobs, planes, ships, Malta history, and as a Med person (I am from Marseilles) I wish we could meet one day! Cheers my friend.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC
Jean, thanks for sharing this great build with us. It's always joy to look at your builds which are close to perfection to me. And thanks for the nice words about Günther Rall, who truely was a gentleman. Sadly he died a few years ago, aged 91 years, I think. Some fellows from my club have met him when he visited the Technical Museum in Speyer some years ago.

Torsten
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 02:19 AM UTC
Very nice build and great presentation.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
I usuallly never comment negatively on any finished built models, and I am actually a fan of Jean barby's always excellent, and prolific, builds (I think he is one of the best aircraft modellers out there) , but here the main problem of this build is so severe I cannot let it pass without comment.

The kits I most frequentlly associate with an excessively flat dihedral are Tamiya's 1/48th P-51s: In these kits this severe defect is not discernible by dry-fitting the fuselage halves empty. The interaction of the cockpit parts and dihedral is the cause of the inaccurate final result, and this is one of the significant lessons of this kit. The Hasegawa Me-109 1:48th series often suffers from the same problem, but here it might have been exacerbated by the use of a resin cockpit.

Whatever the cause may be, the dihedral in evidence here in this build is more than severely lacking, it is virtually non-existent compared to what it should be. The steep dihedral is one of the signature features of the entire Me-109 series, so this model cannot be considered a successful representation, even if one were to ignore the many other problems of the Hasegawa kit (a far superior and nearly flawless alternative for this G-2 variant exists by combining the Zvezda F kit with a Vector G-2 conversion set). This dihedral problem is all the more disheartening since this is one of the best paint jobs I have seen on a Me-109... Yes I am envious of Jean Barby's output, but please don't think this is why I point this out...

Gaston
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 03:22 PM UTC
Well done Jean, another great build.

Gaston, there is nothing worse than a backhanded compliment, if that is what you have just done.

Admire the work and take comfort in your still unattainable pursuit for 100% accuracy.

I truly hope that you wait until you get the new Eduard kit in your hands before you do your customary hatchet job on it.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
Beautiful build. Top notch paint job. the weathering is superb and not overdone. Thanks for sharing.
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I usuallly never comment negatively on any finished built models, and I am actually a fan of Jean barby's always excellent, and prolific, builds (I think he is one of the best aircraft modellers out there) , but here the main problem of this build is so severe I cannot let it pass without comment.

The kits I most frequentlly associate with an excessively flat dihedral are Tamiya's 1/48th P-51s: In these kits this severe defect is not discernible by dry-fitting the fuselage halves empty. The interaction of the cockpit parts and dihedral is the cause of the inaccurate final result, and this is one of the significant lessons of this kit. The Hasegawa Me-109 1:48th series often suffers from the same problem, but here it might have been exacerbated by the use of a resin cockpit.

Whatever the cause may be, the dihedral in evidence here in this build is more than severely lacking, it is virtually non-existent compared to what it should be. The steep dihedral is one of the signature features of the entire Me-109 series, so this model cannot be considered a successful representation, even if one were to ignore the many other problems of the Hasegawa kit (a far superior and nearly flawless alternative for this G-2 variant exists by combining the Zvezda F kit with a Vector G-2 conversion set). This dihedral problem is all the more disheartening since this is one of the best paint jobs I have seen on a Me-109... Yes I am envious of Jean Barby's output, but please don't think this is why I point this out...

Gaston

Firstly Jean, please accept my compliments on an excellent model build. Second, I trust that you will ignore Mr. Marty's comments for the poor taste that they represent. It always amazes me how guys like him can be such self-proclaimed "experts" yet in the few years I have had the pleasure of the company of builders in this forum I have yet to hear a genuine compliment from him. For that matter, I don't ever remember seeing a completed project of his. So to wrap things up as Teddy Roosevelt said "it's better to fail mightily than be one of those cold timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Please accept my compliments and gratitude for sharing. Jim.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:13 PM UTC
Jean
A fantastic build.
I can only all the other positive comments,looking forward to your next build.

Chris
 _GOTOTOP