_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1/48 Su-2 light bomber
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 10:27 PM UTC
Michal Sindera has bought us news of a new release by Zvezda Models, a 1/48th Su-2 light bomber.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 12:20 AM UTC
does it come with the stand?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hi there

Fantastic news! I've been looking forward to this one coming out for soooooo long!

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

does it come with the stand?

No idea to be honest, but looking at the sprue shots it doesn't show one.
Andy
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC
It is a huge disapointment, on at least two levels:

-First, I did not know that this was how the later more advanced Chvetsov version looked like: In my mind the boxtop image is more in line with the rounded cowl early version, which looked a lot better...

-Second, that later squarer, thinner lip cowl, damaging enough as it was to the look of the real aircraft, has been exaggerated here to make the model even uglier, and less accurate at the same time: It looks almost like a Breda 65; What where they thinking?

Why make the bad look even worse than it was?

In addition, the spinner looks all wrong, and undersized to boot...

To me, I would think 3 items are worthy of especially close attention in any model:

-The canopy.(Looks fine here)
-The cowl.
-Spinner/prop.

All of these are important because not only are they in front, but because the cowl's and spinner's compound radiuses are nearly impossible to correct evenly all the way around, and the same goes for problems with the clear parts, at least for the average modeller...

These three make the basic character of the aircraft: If these obvious and hard to fix items are approximate mediocrities, I kind of wonder what the rest is like?

Gaston

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 - 08:34 PM UTC
Gaston

You're going to have to learn to be more positive. For "huge disappointment", trying saying "great opportunity" instead.

I'm very keen to get hold of the model - and I'm quite sure Sergey at Vector will have answers for us if needed.

All the best

Rowan
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

-First, I did not know that this was how the later more advanced Chvetsov version looked like: In my mind the boxtop image is more in line with the rounded cowl early version, which looked a lot better...
-Second, that later squarer, thinner lip cowl, damaging enough as it was to the look of the real aircraft, has been exaggerated here to make the model even uglier, and less accurate at the same time: It looks almost like a Breda 65; What where they thinking?

Well Gaston, I respect your opinion, and often your estimates of kit's inaccuracies are rather correct, but sometimes it would be useful at least to study a little a subject about which you speak.
Basically there were 3 different versions of the Su-2.
The early one with M-88 or M-88B engine. It had "square" cowl, small spinner, chin carburetor intake and chin oilcooler. Zvezda made this version, IMHO not the best choice, it mostly has boring green camouflage and later versions are mush prettier.

Next one Su-2 with M-88B engine. It is the most mass series, it had revised much rounded cowl, large spinner, chin carburetor intake and oil cooler in the wing roots. It also could have standard MV-5 turret or simplified TTS turret. IMHO the best looking Su-2 with wide choice of marking. I will be making conversion set for this variant.

The last one Su-2 with Shvetsov M-82 engine.

Quoted Text

Why make the bad look even worse than it was?

It's not Su-2 on your photo, but BB-2 test plane.
Now some words about the kit. I saw it in the flesh and I have the mixed feelings. The first of all they chose not the best variant. The lip of the cowl IMHO should be a little bit more rounded and a cowl's opening a little bit smaller. Interior is simplified and not quite correct, wheel wells are not correct either. But on the other hand, there's nothing fatal that can't be corrected, and I doubt that any other company would do this important and pretty plane.
PS By the way, there's a mistake on test assembly. Chin intake has to be shifted forward:
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Sergey

Many thanks for your informed input. From the breakdown of the kit, could you tell if more variants are planned for the future? - even if not, I'll certainly be looking out for your conversion set(s).

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 10:09 AM UTC
Thank you Sergey!!!

Hope we'll see a bunch of AM stuff (including decals) for this model!

all the best

Steffen
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Zvezda made this version, IMHO not the best choice, it mostly has boring green camouflage and later versions are mush prettier.

This is very often a manufacturer's strategy these days: release the least popular version first, milk all the sales possible from it, then release the one they know people will buy. Of course this strategy keeps you aftermarket people happier, so it's a win-win as far as you're concerned
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
I for one welcome this release in any variant, and I am doubly pleased that Sergey is already talking conversions and corrections. The aircraft is so exotic -- like Special Hobby's Blackburn Roc or two seater Ba-65 -- that just to have one version is a treat. Moreover, Zveda's marketing strategy -- consider their BF-109s -- makes it a safe bet we'll see the other versions down the road.
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
No, they will not make other variants .
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 03:41 AM UTC
Really? That's a surprise to me. Are you going to be doing corrections for this version as well as a conversion set?
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you going to be doing corrections for this version as well as a conversion set?

I'm not sure yet, I should examine it more closer. The kit should be on sale around next week, I have not got it yet. I'm planning interior and wheel wells and I've got an engine already.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 05:27 AM UTC
I'll buy all of your Su-2 sets, so just bring them out

all the best

Steffen
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[quote I saw it in the flesh and I have the mixed feelings. The first of all they chose not the best variant. The lip of the cowl IMHO should be a little bit more rounded and a cowl's opening a little bit smaller. Interior is simplified and not quite correct, wheel wells are not correct either. But on the other hand, there's nothing fatal that can't be corrected, and I doubt that any other company would do this important and pretty plane.
PS By the way, there's a mistake on test assembly. Chin intake has to be shifted forward:

Sorry for the mistake about the square cowl being the later variant: It is what is suggested in the site that had the photo I linked: It did seem strange to me...

Three things I feel should be said:

-The choice of the early variant is incomprehensible. That it will not be supplemented later on even more so...

-I disagree that the error in the cowling is easily fixed, because the error goes all around, and that is hard for a modeller to fix equally all around (sometimes almost impossible even); same thing for the spinner: This is exactly why I insist on these kinds of errors.

-This kit desperately needs one of your resin cowling/spinner sets.

Gaston

P.S. I would love to hear news about your resin cowl fronts for the B-24!

G.
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC
Corrected cowl for early Su-2 with M-88 engine:

New cowl and spinner for late Su-2 with M-88B engine:

Sergey.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC
Nice one Sergey!

I think it goes without saying - please put me on the list when you have them ready to sell!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 08:51 AM UTC
Definitely buying one too! I want to do white 15 of G.F. Sivkov

BTW can I do a Su-2 M-82 by crafting a La-5FN cowl on that Su-2? ... not that I am able to do such things.

all the best

Steffen
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I want to do white 15 of G.F. Sivkov

For Sivkov's plane you'll need a new TSS turret, and a rear sliding part of the canopy.

Quoted Text

BTW can I do a Su-2 M-82 by crafting a La-5FN cowl on that Su-2? ... not that I am able to do such things.

I don't think so, cowlings and spinners are different.

Sergey.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Thank you Sergey! Still looks possible. I hoped I can use the flatter rear fuselage part for it (above right):

not sure about the clear parts. There seem to be two rear canopys on that sprue. OTOH the shape is not too difficult.

I have Khasanov/Gordyukov "Su-2 - blishnii bombardirovtchik". Are there other books you would recommend?

all the best

Steffen
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 09:40 AM UTC
You can use any rear part of a fuselage. High is a marching position, low - fighting. There's no transparent part for the TSS turret in a kit (this turret was used only on late Su-2, and Zvezda made the early one).
If you do such conversion, this drawing can be useful:

Quoted Text

I have Khasanov/Gordyukov "Su-2 - blishnii bombardirovtchik". Are there other books you would recommend?

Nothing more. There's not much information about this plane, this book and some phtos from e-bay and other sources is all that I have.

Sergey.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
Thank You Sergey!

Quoted Text

There's no transparent part for the TSS turret in a kit (this turret was used only on late Su-2, and Zvezda made the early one).

I know! I thought about using the two rear parts to make the fixed section for the TSS version (which is one segment longer than with the "ball turret") in any way I will have to make the sliding section.

But we will see. First I'll have to get the kit ... and your upgrades/conversion

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 - 07:27 PM UTC
Hi Sergey,

Quoted Text

Corrected cowl for early Su-2 with M-88 engine:

New cowl and spinner for late Su-2 with M-88B engine:

I have received the Su-2 kit and will build it for an article in Tamiya Magazine France. How far are you with your corrected cowlings? I would love to include them into my build of the model as it would make a dramatic change to the look of it.

All the best,

Jean-Luc
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 09:13 PM UTC
They will be available in a couple weeks.

Sergey.
 _GOTOTOP