_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Those hard to reach seams,how?
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 04:06 PM UTC
Yet another questions Guys,
How do tackle those hard to work seams?
Like the ones that appear in the tail wheel well.

Sorry this will be the last question.Promise.

Until the next one.

I really want to be able to post pictures of this build and not be to concious of the end result.

Thanks

Chris
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 05:36 PM UTC
It depends on what kind of filler you're using. Some people use plastic card to fill in wheel well roofs, others use acetone (if the filler is succeptable to same) and wipe it smooth right after application with a Q-tip or something similar.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 05:39 PM UTC
You might try to use a small sliver of sandpaper wrapped around the end of a matchstick.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 10:10 PM UTC
First, if you haven't done so already, read a forum thread here called "Reading the seams". Its world class info on "seam elimination".

Then, in many cases you can hide seams, or those pesky ejection marks by covering them with thin plastic card. I am using pieces of plastic butter containers for this purpose.

Ultra thin, easy to cut and costing nothing.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC
Ok, I'll be brutally honest, and start off with confessing that if the model isn't a contest model (never is these days),and it's just going in my display case (almost always does), and if I'm not planning on photographing a close up of the rear wheel well (needs to be a reason why I would want to show it off), I just plain don't bother with the seam as long as I got a well fitting joint.

Now if I want to eliminate that pesky seam, I use thinned Green stuff that I cut with lacquer thinner. I apply this mixture with a toothpick or old useless paint brush, then follow up with a Q-tip dampened with lacquer cleaner. It instantly removes the excess, yet doesn't damage the plastic. I find this method much easier and quicker then cutting and trimming sheet plastic to fill a triangle area snuggly.

I've also used in my armor days on hard to reach seams grey primer. A few coats of Tamiya primer, then knocked down with lacquer thinner also does a great job. And it fills in and smooth's any porous filler.

Joel
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 01:27 PM UTC
I would just like to say please post pictures you will never get negative feedback just ways to help fix it never feel ashamed sir none of us are perfect
 _GOTOTOP