Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-47N BARE
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
This is the Monogram ProModeler kit. I rescribed all the panel lines. Scratchbuilt a new seat,
w/ medical tape belts and PE buckles.I used True Details wheels. The Decals are from SuperScale that I received for my B-Day from my BEST FRIEND Dave Aungst, and also from
the kit. The tail stripes are painted w/ my airbrush. The finish is master metalizers in
3 different shades. After they were dry, the whole aircraft was buffed w/ a felt wheel in my mototool. This was built for my clubs (Highflight) Theme night last April called "B"&"B" or "T" & "A" which ever you prefer. I really enjoyed the build.

PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
Wow, that's one nice looking kit. Great job on the Bare metal and the decals and stripes look awsome. Nice P-61 too....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hi Rotorhead

I've got a bad case of the Red Xs - but the link to your folder's fine!

Nice work! Really tasty natural metal finish. :-)

Is that a Babylon 5 kit in the background?... you'll have to meet my brother - the biggest B5 fan!

All the best

Rowan
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
Replies,
Thanx guys. Yes the P-61 won a 2nd @ IPMS Nationals in Virginia.
Why yes thats a B5 wing in the background. LOL

I cant figure out how to get the pics to load here instead of my Gallery.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
Really nice job on the P-47
Sometime in the fairly near future I want to try a metal finish.
I sure hope it comes out as good as yours.!!!

Good modeling,
Wayne
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:35 PM UTC
Rotor----very very nice. I admire you guys that can tame the metalizer. Wow!

RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rotor----very very nice. I admire you guys that can tame the metalizer. Wow

WeWillHold,
HA!! if you only new the whole story behind this build. You wouldn't believe it.
It's TOTALLY amazing this model escaped the trash can. Let it be said:::: I've been building models for 20+ years and this is the first Bare metal kit that has passed the test, to be moved to the shelf. ALL OTHERS went down in FLAMES LOL
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC
:-) I have built the Revell P-47N Thunderbolt with these markings, I'll have to put some pics in my gallery :-) I just love to see pics of naked ladies on aircraft :-) I'm impressed that you re-scribed the Monogram T-Bolt. I'm intrigued by the black stripes, my kit marking guide just showed half the tail surfaces painted yellow, with thin black bands. I assume different time periods :-) I used Allclad II on my T-Bolt and polished panels with SNJ powder, for the different shades.
Mal
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) I have built the Revell P-47N Thunderbolt with these markings, I'll have to put some pics in my gallery :-) I just love to see pics of naked ladies on aircraft :-) I'm impressed that you re-scribed the Monogram T-Bolt. I'm intrigued by the black stripes, my kit marking guide just showed half the tail surfaces painted yellow, with thin black bands. I assume different time periods :-)

HOLDFAST,
I was not aware that Revell had these decals. DID you use the ones from
microscale. In the directions they show the two schemes and the different mkg's. The all
yellow Tail & Rudder had the thin bands on the tips. and the nose art was different too.

The current Academy kit of the P-47N also shows and talks about the striped tail that I painted. They have decals of the same Sqd but different nose art in there offering.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
:-) I used the Revell kit decals, they were pretty good. I'll get some pics into my gallery and post a couple here, so we can compare schemes :-)
Mal
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Rotorhead,
You really done a great job on that kit!! Did you use Bare metal foil or a metalizer???

(++)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
:-) My Revell P47N

Just love those bare metal finishes :-)
Mal
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rotorhead,
You really done a great job on that kit!! Did you use Bare metal foil or a metalizer???

Penny: It's all (3) shades of Testors Metalizers
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) My Revell P47N
Just love those bare metal finishes :-)
Mal

HOLDFAST: Yours looks great !! Thats the same alternate scheme thay show on the microscale sheet I used.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 08:00 AM UTC
:-) Thanks Rotorhead67. But cudos to you for re-scribing. It's always interesting to find out how modellers tackle the bare metal finish. I'm in the process of preparing a P-51 to have a go at using kitchen foil. I've had some succes while trialing this method and hope to write an article. One of the biggest problems with a BMF is hiding the thickness of the decals and protecting them from washes. I used 2 coats of Klear (Future) over mine which worked really well. It didn't alter the appearance of the finish and the dark grey wash I used toned down the shinyness just right.. The only problem with the kit decals is that they are slightly out of register. This only shows on the top edge of the national markings and the red warning squares. :-)
Mal
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 01:31 PM UTC
HOLDFAST,
Ty for the KUDOS, but I got lucky. My scribing was a result of my failure to pay
attention. This model was started in Feb. 03 for a club Theme Apr 03. Construction was going well on schedule. Until the night I was ready for my paint session. It's sitting on my desk.....facing me, I'm admiring my construction skills, thinking damn!!! smooth ,no visable seams, no sand marks, finish is perfect base for metalizer now. THEN IT HITS ME LIKE A
FREIGHTTRAIN !!!! Todd How many P-47's have you seen with no Anhedral ?? During construction I had thought that the gap at the wing root was from poor kit manufacturing,
and I filled the gap with evergreen and superglue. And it was smoother than a babies bottom, with no sign of a gap.........DUH TODD's brilliance had constructed the wing perfectly horizontal with the ground.
So the short story....is I had to reconstruct my error, and in doing so the model had to be rescribed to fix the detail removed during the repair. You SEE the finished result.

But when you said you had modeled the same Aircraft, I waited with anticipation to do a
1/1 comparison with yours and mine. I was SHOCKED how DAMN close they look, except
for the tail markings. The shading, color choice and placement. Now I didn't shoot a gloss
(Future floor wax) until after the decals where applied. I used solvaset for decal application,
and that what it. The yellow and black on the nose and tail is all painted. So the nose art, data, and stars & bars are the only decals I used.

This model has given me wind in my sail, and the current project for me is an Thunderbirds
F-84 G from monogram. As yours is a P-51. I have a P-51 in Tuskeegee Mkgs of Benjamin Davis slated too. We should keep the thread updated for those as well... GOOD LUCK my friend. Todd
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
:-) Yes Todd, when I saw your P-47 I was amazed how similar it looked to mine, had to check the shelf to see if it had been nicked I quite like the black and yellow striped tail. The only other difference appears to be the antenna.
So you re-scribed it after building it, phew, not something I would have done, so kudos once again for sticking with it.
I'm hoping to tackle the kitchen foil thing pretty soon. At the moment I can't make up my mind if I should spray on my normal auto plastic primer or go with bear plastic. It's an adhesion thing? I suppose what I should do is do a test piece. :-)
Mal
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
HOLDFAST:
I have not done this mind you,but: You could spray Bare Metal Foil adhesive right on the polished plastic. Then you can have a better chance of kitchen foil adhesion.
On the other hand ,you could use all (3) shades of BareMetal Foil without additional adhesive. They're self sticking. and thinner then kitchen foil.
I always polish my plastic w/ paste wax before any bare metal finish is sprayed. This goes for paint or foil. Keep me posted. Todd
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
:-) I have a cunning plan to give the foil that panel look, but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, until I write my article. I do like bare metal foil, the canopy framing the drop tank pylons and the oleo pistons were all coverd with it. I'm going the kitchen foil route because it will work out cheaper :-) In my experiments the bare metal foil adhesive, when applied to kitchen foil is tenatious. So one of the reasons I haven't started covering the P-51 yet is I'm planning how best to do it, to avoid any potential problems. One of my ideas is to apply the adhesive to the model, a panel at a time, then apply the foil to that panel. The excess would then be cut away. This, though, would be very time consuming, so I plan to cover large areas in one go, then mask verious panels for further treatment. :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP