_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Brand New To Modeling!
Bearhardt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 05:05 PM UTC
Hey everyone! My name is Mark and I've been looking for a new hobby recently and decided to check out model kits again after some 20 odd years.

I am pretty much completely at the mercy of all of you experts but I would really love to learn the craft. As it is right now I bought a Testors starter kit of enamel paints and supplies as well as the Revell Corsair F4U-4 plane.

I have yet to even crack the package but I was looking at the instructions online (http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-5248.pdf) try to plan my first steps.

A suggestion I've seen around is to paint the pieces before assembly. The instructions give sequential build orders and mention paint colors on some pieces but not on all. Should I paint the smaller assembled pieces first and wait to paint the main body until it's all put together?

What do you folks recommend?
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 05:21 PM UTC
Let me welcome you to Aeroscale Mark. This is a wonderful forum with people from all over the world interested in modeling.
I would recommend using Acrylic paints first off. I know you have purchased a starter set of Enamels, these are oil based paints and in my opinion are much harder to use. Acrylic paints are also safer to be around from a health standpoint.
I use Model Master Acryl quite a bit now that Polly Scale Acrylics has gone out of business.
Next I would say to you, do you want to get into airbrushing? This requires some investment in the beginning. One needs an airbrush kit and I recommend a small air compressor as well. You will find that with an airbrush you can do exemplary work in the painting arena.
If you aren't ready to take the airbrush plunge as of yet; invest in some good brushes. You can find these at any well stocked hobby store in your area.
Don't be overwhelmed, it can happen in this hobby, with so much available. Building is the best teacher.
Any questions? Please ask. I will be happy to give you suggestions as will many on this site from around the globe. Take care, and happy modeling. Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 05:22 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

First, welcome to Aeroscale, the best modelling website on the interwebs! Welcome also to our shared obsession

Now to your question. It's a good idea to paint everything that goes inside your model before closing it up, because afterwards it's often quite difficult, if not impossible. If you read through some of the build logs posted in the forums (they're the ones with the little gear beside the thread title) you'll see how many of our members approach their builds. In general the approach is to paint the inside bits before assembly and paint the outside afterwards, once you've got all the seams, divots and other flaws sorted out (for more about that subject, have a look through the Reading the Seams thread).

Have a look around the forums and don't hesitate to ask any question which comes to you. The only stupid question is the one which isn't asked.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 08:17 PM UTC
Assemble all the pieces that have to be the same colour then paint them. That is the easy way.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi Mark,
A very warm welcome to Aeroscale and this wonderful hobby Remember what jessie said "The only stupid question is the one which isn't asked." You will have a gazillion questions, take it slow and build your confidence.

The paint type that you use is down to personal preference, both acrylics and enamels have the pros and cons. I personally use enamels Do paint the internal parts before assembly but look at building sub assemblies, sections of the interior that can be glued together and then painted, such as the internal structure. You can add small parts that are painted different colours, switch boxes and the like, you just have to be careful when you paint them. Items that need to be glued to the internal parts and fuselage halves can be painted on the sprues (the interconnecting runners that the parts are attached to) but remember that they all need cleaning up, mould part lines and sprue attachment points, and that the polystyrene cement needs to have a plastic to plastic surface to work so mating surfaces need to have any paint removed before gluing. Use liquid cement, not the tube stuff. Polystyrene cement works by melting the plastic creating a "weld"

Above all enjoy what you do, posting pictures of you progress will enable members to help guide you along. You will make mistakes so simply learn from them; Aim to build and paint the next model better than the preceding one and you will improve quickly Expect techniques that you learn not to work first time; it is very difficult to explain these techniques in words, you need to see them done, and you will misunderstand some of what is trying to be said, partly due to language and partly due to a lack of knowledge. The beauty of these forums is that you can post a picture and members can help find the solution. Also remember that everyone has their own take on the best way of doing something so you will have the benefit of being able to take the bits from differing techniques that appeal to you and making them your own

See you in the forums
Bearhardt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me welcome you to Aeroscale Mark. This is a wonderful forum with people from all over the world interested in modeling.
I would recommend using Acrylic paints first off. I know you have purchased a starter set of Enamels, these are oil based paints and in my opinion are much harder to use. Acrylic paints are also safer to be around from a health standpoint.
I use Model Master Acryl quite a bit now that Polly Scale Acrylics has gone out of business.
Next I would say to you, do you want to get into airbrushing? This requires some investment in the beginning. One needs an airbrush kit and I recommend a small air compressor as well. You will find that with an airbrush you can do exemplary work in the painting arena.
If you aren't ready to take the airbrush plunge as of yet; invest in some good brushes. You can find these at any well stocked hobby store in your area.
Don't be overwhelmed, it can happen in this hobby, with so much available. Building is the best teacher.
Any questions? Please ask. I will be happy to give you suggestions as will many on this site from around the globe. Take care, and happy modeling. Russell

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try out the enamels at least and see how I like them. I got so many recommendations to do enamel over acrylic before I began but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be best for me.

Speaking of which: No. I don't think I'll be doing airbrushing any time soon. I'd rather get more hands on painting experience first. Also I just do not have a set up or resources I can dedicate to spraying.
Bearhardt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark,
A very warm welcome to Aeroscale and this wonderful hobby Remember what jessie said "The only stupid question is the one which isn't asked." You will have a gazillion questions, take it slow and build your confidence.

The paint type that you use is down to personal preference, both acrylics and enamels have the pros and cons. I personally use enamels Do paint the internal parts before assembly but look at building sub assemblies, sections of the interior that can be glued together and then painted, such as the internal structure. You can add small parts that are painted different colours, switch boxes and the like, you just have to be careful when you paint them. Items that need to be glued to the internal parts and fuselage halves can be painted on the sprues (the interconnecting runners that the parts are attached to) but remember that they all need cleaning up, mould part lines and sprue attachment points, and that the polystyrene cement needs to have a plastic to plastic surface to work so mating surfaces need to have any paint removed before gluing. Use liquid cement, not the tube stuff. Polystyrene cement works by melting the plastic creating a "weld"

Above all enjoy what you do, posting pictures of you progress will enable members to help guide you along. You will make mistakes so simply learn from them; Aim to build and paint the next model better than the preceding one and you will improve quickly Expect techniques that you learn not to work first time; it is very difficult to explain these techniques in words, you need to see them done, and you will misunderstand some of what is trying to be said, partly due to language and partly due to a lack of knowledge. The beauty of these forums is that you can post a picture and members can help find the solution. Also remember that everyone has their own take on the best way of doing something so you will have the benefit of being able to take the bits from differing techniques that appeal to you and making them your own

See you in the forums

Thank you so much for the kind words and kinder suggestions! I'll probably start on it some time this week and I'll do my best to document it along the way.

I've heard talk about doing a primer and base coat etc. when painting. I can't say I'm super familiar with this process. I had planned on washing the parts and then just applying the proper colors. Should I worry about priming and such as well? How would I go about this?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:19 AM UTC
A primer coat lets you see where the flaws from assembly are much easier. Going down the road a little, when you start spraying Alclad for that beautiful natural metal finish, you'll need a proper primer coat for the paint to work correctly. They also help to 'unify' your model, especially one which is made up of multimedia materials.
Bearhardt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A primer coat lets you see where the flaws from assembly are much easier. Going down the road a little, when you start spraying Alclad for that beautiful natural metal finish, you'll need a proper primer coat for the paint to work correctly. They also help to 'unify' your model, especially one which is made up of multimedia materials.

Is there a particular type of paint or coating I would use for a primer or would it just be a coat of my main paint color?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 06:05 AM UTC
Most people like a medium grey or white primer. Both Testors and Tamiya offer spray can primers which are quite popular with the members hereabouts.
Bearhardt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most people like a medium grey or white primer. Both Testors and Tamiya offer spray can primers which are quite popular with the members hereabouts.

Thanks! I'll look into that!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

Quoted Text

I've heard talk about doing a primer and base coat etc. when painting. I can't say I'm super familiar with this process. I had planned on washing the parts and then just applying the proper colors. Should I worry about priming and such as well? How would I go about this?

Definitely wash all parts before painting, to get rid of the mould release oil and finger oils. Use a little dish soap in warm water and rinse it off and let it dry. Because of the long drying time of this method and the danger of using a hair drier to speed it up (which I don't have/need anyway) I use Isopropynol (rubbing alcohol/surface cleaner)which evaporates very quickly, applied using and old tooth brush or lint free cloth, for larger areas.
A primer coat is a good idea but if you are not using an airbrush then a rattle can primer is the way to go. You don't have any control over the spray pattern though and it is very easy to flood the model with paint, especially if its small scale. If you are not going to use a rattle can then I would imagine applying a primer coat by brush would be a pain because you would need multiple thin coats; just as you would for the main camo. I have only ever hand painted one model, since returning to the hobby, and I simply brushed the colour over the seams first to ensure that they had been finished correctly. Before I started using rattle cans for the primer coat I never used to apply a primer at all. Apart from allowing me to see any bad seams I only really use a, white, primer now because of my painting and pre-shading technique. I use an airbrush now, rather than rattle cans, because I can control the paint.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
Mark, welcome back to the military plastic modeling hobby, and to Aeroscale. As you said, there is a lot to learn just to get a firm grasp of the basics. Right now your goal should be just that. Pick simple, inexpensive models rather then complex ones. Read reviews here as to which kits are sound builds right out of the box, and which ones require a lot of work. Then pick a subject that interests you, but at the same time has a simple paint scheme. The simpler, the better, so that you can concentrate producing a smooth color coat.

Since you're going with hand painting, you should apply a primer coat, as it will give the color coat a surface that the paint will be able to bite into. I would recommend Tamiya's Grey Lacquer based primer in a rattle can. Don't try to build up the primer in one coat. Apply quick even coats as you rotate the model. Never stop moving the can for each pass.

Hand painting requires a whole different approach and mindset then airbrushing. What I would suggest is Google videos for specific techniques. You'll find more then you can ever view. Watch the ones with the most views, and you'll start to see similar patterns. Then try them on your model.

All you have to do is ask questions here, and you'll get plenty of responses.

The best advise I can give you is to use the 1st few models as test beds. Slowly work your way up the ladder till you feel confident enough to build and complete your 1st model. Just remember that all of us at one time were where you are now. It takes time to learn the basics, but you will, and you'll see your models slowly improve with each build.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP