_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
airbrush problems
mariusmalthus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC
hello there.
im new here and i would like to say hello to everyone around here. i'm back to modelling and i love to build wwII warplanes. working on 1/72 to get some practice and next im planning to jump to 1/48 scale.

i'm using airbrush for a few time and still green on some stuff. my main problem nowadays is that every time i paint with it some paint travels to other areas that are far from the area im painting, i tried putting the airbrush more closer to the model but no luck. it's a problem with a airbrush or do i need to mask the other areas?? im using a hs airbrush and a good compressor... oh and im using vallejo model air paints.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Mario,

Welcome to the site!

I suggest masking the rest of thew model to protect from overspray. I simply wrap a plastic grocery bag around the parts to be protected; or for say, a wing, slit the bag and poke the wing through it -- that leaves the bag loosely around the other components.

Or, if you can adjust the PSI, try lowering it. I have never used Valejo so I can not tell you the character of the paint.
mariusmalthus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
thx for the tip mate. i usually work at 20/25 psi. do you recommend that i lower it ?? i was thinking that it was a bad mix of paints or something else.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hello,
when the paint goes elsewhere than you have aimed ("ghost spray"), there may be a problem with the nozzle or the needle: the nozzle is not correctly centered or the needle tip may be bent.

Former can be caused by dirt in the thread where the nozzle goes in, or a misaligned sealing ring; also mechanical damage. A bent needle indicates rough handling. Check these components under a magnifier to see. A bent needle might be straightened once or twice, but a damaged nozzle must be replaced. If it not damaged, a thorough cleaning and a careful reassembly will help.

_GOTOTOP