_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Help to choose a modern aircraft as my first
newnikonian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
India / भारत
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 10:39 PM UTC
Greetings Everyone,

I think this is my first post in Aeroscale
I am an armor modeler and I can rate myself as an advance beginner. I did few gundam, Ma.K and one car and around 20 armors in all. I also did some scratch enhancements / simple stuff like fenders / Ammo boxes etc. Of late I was looking to build something different and I started spending more time here rather than in Armorama. Some of the aircraft models / details / camo schemes I see in this site are amazing. I have tried my best to narrow down on a kit to start off has become increasingly difficult.

Even though I build mostly ww2 stuff in armors, I would love to start off with a modern aircraft such as F16s / Su-xx / or anything. I was thinking of starting with a 1/48 scale instead of 1/72. May be go for just a AM cockpit, so that I will be able to try my hand in painting the interiors / dials. I am not sure whether it is an over kill especially being a first aircraft? I need your help to decide. Being in India (where there is no modeling shop. Yah, not even one) every order/buy/ shipment cycle take at least one month, I wanted to get the correct stuff so that I can start soon. As economical as possible. I can order from either from HobbyEasy or LuckyModel. I could get 2 excellent armor kits for 100$ including shipping but I see planes are expensive

I have all the tools including airbrush and enough supplies (might order the required paint, am stuff along with the kit). I would try not to scratch / mod on my first kit. Need your suggestion and help to choose a good OOB kit and a suitable cockpit set

Appreciate all your help, advice and suggestions.

Have a Great Day
Mukund
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC
I'd pick a Phantom, for three main reasons:

1 there are loads of colour options (for my money you can't go wrong with any US Navy F-4 in gull gray and white).
2 there are plenty of kits, and in 1/48 Hasegawa's are pretty sharp stuff. If you fancy an early F-4B or C or D, be warned that they have raised panel lines. Aires do a good line of cockpits but I wouldn't bother if this is to be the build where you learn about aircraft modelling.
3 you won't need nose weight. Of course, you could by-pass this problem by going back a few years and picking something with a tailwheel, but almost uniquely among aircraft with a nosewheel, the F-4 is self-righting in model form.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 02:20 AM UTC
Now that the Phantom's been mentioned, you can't forget about its natural enemy, the MiG 21. Eduard's new kit is really terrific, and some versions come with Indian Air Force markings which you may enjoy
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
If you ant to do something special then the Hasegawa 1/48 Draken is a good option. An airplane with a very special shape and a good quality model
newnikonian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
India / भारत
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 - 11:58 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for the replies

Sean, I am checking for F-4J. But so far all out of stock. I really like the 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J done by Albert Moser with the same scheme you mentioned. Will keep looking...

Hi Jessica, Thanks for the suggestions. It is going to be MIG-21 MF/BIS from Eduard. Hope I will do justice for the kit. I really like the 26th Squadron “The Warrior” scheme. Now trying to get the paint requirements. I use Mr. Color lacquer paints. So need to find the numbers. I understand the kit cockpit is good enough so thinking of not going for AM parts for this one.

Hi, Thanks for suggestion on SAAB J35. Sure look interesting. The yellow scheme looks sweet. I will add this in my wish list.

Thanks again folks for the suggestions. Hope to get the kit in my hand and started counting days… May need all your support to complete this kit and see it through.

Have a Great Day
Mukund
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
Eduard very helpfully posts their instruction sheets online. Your MiG is here so finding Eduard's recommended colours is simplicity in itself.

I would have been tempted to do the Lancers version, just for all the funky polka-dots
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC
The F-4 is a very good choice, have fun
newnikonian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
India / भारत
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hi Jessica / Drabslab,
It appears even MIG-21 has gone out of stock and it is holding all the other items in my order as well. I am thinking of changing to A-10 which I like a lot. Based on reviews 1/48 N/AW A-10 Thunderbolt II from HobbyBoss seems to be a better bet and is in stock. What do you folks think?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 03:35 AM UTC
It's the best of the available kits. The Monogram is quite old and has some nasty fit problems and the Italeri is based on an even older Esci kit which wasn't even well detailed when it came out in the '80s.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 08:01 AM UTC
I also vote for the Hobbyboss
newnikonian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the update folks

Switched the order and was told they will ship in the next 2 days. Now the waiting game begins Indian postal service

Have a Great Day
Mukund
 _GOTOTOP