Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Painting a "Rex" 'Late Type'
daredevil
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:42 PM UTC
I'm about to build my first aircraft kit in 40 years! I picked up a nice Hasegawa 1/72 N1K1 Kyofu (Rex) 'Late Type.' I initially bought it as a "warm up" to another modeling project because so much has changed in glues, etc. since my first models in the early 60s! But I like the model and want to do a good job on it. so here's the question:
I couldn't find the green recommended for this model and bought the closest I thought would work, namely Model Master #1913 (Med. Green) in the rattle can (no airbursh yet). If this model turns out well & I want to enter it in a contest, would the color be a problem to a prospective judge?
I hope this question doesn't seem too silly!
--daredevil
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC
Do the best with what you have and enter the contest anyway. The experiance is worth it. It would be impossible to guess what any series of judges is going to do anyway. I build for myself and if I have something that I think is nice enough to show to me peers, I enter it into a contest. It is nice to place but it is even more fun to see what everyone else is doing. My two cents
capnjock
thenamshow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
I think that will work but i feel your pain i dont have a air brush either.
tek2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Daredevil
First off, welcome back!
I also returned to modeling after a long absents. Remembering never being satisfied with the results of brush painting. One of my first purchases was a Badger Amthem, and a Sears 15 gal. compresser. Total cost of about $200.00.
In my humble opinion, an airbrush is an absolute necessity for contest modeling! Or any modeling for that matter. Now I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm sure it can, with enough practice, any thing is possiable!

As for the paint try these:
Model Master #2116 IJN Green enamel
Tamiya #XF 11 IJN Green acrylic
Tamiya #XF 70 IJN Dark Green(2) acrylic
Good Luck
 _GOTOTOP