_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
airbrush cleaner
jhutchi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC
what do people use to clean their airbrushes?

i use mostly vallejo paints so tend to use vallejo airbrush cleaner, but it's pretty expensive especially as it's just a use and throw away product

has anyone got any other suggestions?
surely white spirit would do the same job, but would it damage parts of the airbrush?

your comments and suggestions please
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 04:03 AM UTC
Windex - if you don't have that brand, then any ammonia based window cleaner.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 04:14 AM UTC
I use a product called Simple Green, dilluted ammonia, and/or Medea Airbrush cleaner. I use both Vallejo and Tamiya most of the time, and have had no problems. I really like the Simple Green, and I use the ammonia only seldom. After using either the Simple Green or ammonia, I always give a rinse of Medea cleaner and then water.

Simple Green is a North American product, not sure about its availability on that side of the pond, but here is the website.

http://www.simplegreen.com/

Kevin
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi James, although I have some Vallejo paints, acrylic of course, I have yet to airbrush with them. I assume that like other acrylic lines some water is the first thing to run through your airbrush. If you need a bit of detergent try some Ivory soap or something like that. I have never had to go to great lengths to keep my airbrush, Aztek 4709, clean. Hope this helps a little. Take care, Russell
 _GOTOTOP