_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Got a question about the Fairey Gannet
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:38 AM UTC
Has there ever been a model in 1/48 done of the Fairey Gannet?

I'm curious because I found on Ebay an electric motor for RC models with a contra prop, and have been interested for some time in attempting a model of it.

I have found that sometimes the kits for scale models done in plastic are something of a help when desgning an RC scale model(the kit makers doing all the hard word with respect to rendering it in physical form, giving the model designer something of a "hand up", so to speak).

Anyone know of any scale kits of the Gannet(even 72nd scale would be helpful, although I am partial to 48.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 11:04 AM UTC
Max, Classic Airframes did a 1/48 Gannet ASW but you'll need to look for this as it's now out of production, while Revell and Trumpeter do a Gannet in 1/72 although I'm not sure which version.

Of course if the contra-prop is the only concern then Trumpeter also do a 1/48 Wyvern and Airfix do the Seafire 46/47
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 03:15 AM UTC
Dynavector do (did) a 1/48 kit, which, though a vacform, is brilliantly done. A friend, with only one working arm, due to M.S., built one, and loved it.
Edgar
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 05:22 AM UTC
I forgot about the Wyvern.

Didn't know about the Seafire with a contraprop, though. What mark of the Spit was it based upon?

maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 05:23 AM UTC
Is Dynavector still around?

If so, got a link?
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I forgot about the Wyvern.

Didn't know about the Seafire with a contraprop, though. What mark of the Spit was it based upon?

Well, technically it was a design in its own right, but the closest Spitfire was the Mk.22.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is Dynavector still around?

If so, got a link?

Here you go. Taro San moved back to Japan and kind of dropped off the radar, but he still sells his kits. He hasn't developed anything new though.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 11:16 AM UTC
Revell do a very nice one in 1:72 that you should be able to use to scale up. Although I can see it being easier to do that with a 1:48, its a fraction of the price!
Trumpeter also do one at 1:72 but it may be a little more but equal in quality to revells.
Theres also Frogs example that turns up in several eastern european boxings although Revell have kitted it under their name in the past, so beware if your looking on ebay. To save confusion the new revell kits number is 04397.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 11:55 AM UTC
Well, I see I still have a lot of homework to do.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 12:30 PM UTC
I've just had a look on hannant's site and it looks like the Trumpeter kit is the only one in plastic currently in production (besides from fujimi's 1/700). But they do have revells, now sadly deleted from the catalogue, at sale price.
They have none of the 1:48's in stock at the moment. Not sure if there are any on ebay.
I'd like to see how this turns out. Never seen a gannet done in R/C let alone one with a working contra-prop!
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 01:54 AM UTC
What I really need are some reasonably accurate drawings, 3 views with sectionals, and drawings of the internal structure, yknow, engineering drawings.

But yeah, never have seen an rc scale model of the Gannet, and this little unit I've gotten off Ebay looks to fill the bill of a contraprop model.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 09:04 PM UTC
If you want some drawings try here http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/gannet.html
Hope they are helpful

Regards

Den
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 09:15 PM UTC
Have a look here as well http://shop.keypublishing.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue__Fairey_Gannet_A_S_1_1837.html
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC
Thanks. Those are a good start, but I'm also looking for drawings of the internal structure; engineering drawins, if you will. But, I appreciate the link, though.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 02:16 AM UTC
You mean like this?
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 02:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the link. I think the electric motor is too small for a 1/8 scale model, the props required being 7 inches, but I think that I could order the plans and scale accordingly. It'd be kinda nice to have the wing folding option, but that might be a bit much. Still and all, this would help save me a bunch of time and skull sweat. I really appreciate the link, though.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 02:41 PM UTC
Yeah. That gives me a better idea as to how to build the model, although I doubt I'd be able to duplicate the stressed skin construction. But, that gives me something more to go on. I really appreciate all the help.

Got a further question, though. Is there a site which would show a few, or more than a few paint schemes? I know that there is an all-black scheme which might do the trick, although I might be wrong.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 02:50 PM UTC
Google image search shows that the majority of Gannets were EDSG over sky, with some trainer variants in high speed silver/dayglow. The only dark ones I could find were the overall sea blue COD.4 variant.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 10:01 PM UTC
Well, I ordered the plans. Not sure when they'll arrive, though, seeing as they're coming from the UK, and I'm here in Kentucky.

But, some thoughts about the Gannet. If I remember right, it is powered by a double Mamba, which is actually two Mambas coupled together, each one driving a prop. This means that the Gannet does not have a contrarotating prop, but is motivated by coaxial props. Now, were I to be cranky enough, I'd have a pair of electric motors, side by side, driving the props coaxially, with one prop shaft going through the other. The motors would be .60-size, which would enable me to have plenty of power to do just about anything I wish. If I wanted to do that, one motor would drive a prop shaft with a spur gear, while the other one would be direct drive. I figure it this way because the model has an 81 inch span. The contra motor I want to use, I might have to scale the plans down, which wouldn't be much of a hardship, just artful use of a Xerox machine.

The thing about the Gannet is that it is such a tubby machine. Had I thought about it more, and I had more data available, I might've gone the Wyvern route, that being a much more elegant looking flying machine. If you look at it just right, it is reminiscent of a Spitfire, with the elliptical wing. Kinda like the Spitfire, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Anyway, this being a plastics forum, would it be accpetable if I posted a pic or two of this after I finish it? Seeing as this is primarily a model forum, just not one dedicated to flying RC models.

Still and all, we are all model makers, no matter the medium, right?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC
There's this Wyvern plan available. It uses a windmilling prop (which is cheating a bit). You'd probably be able to have the plans reduced to suit your contraprop unit quite easily.

I see no problem with posting finished flying models. They're models after all...
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 12:24 PM UTC
That one was do a 100+cc engine. But, there are a couple other sets of plans, one of which takes a .15 size engine. I suspect that the electric motor I've ordered off Ebay is equivalent to a .25 piston engine, so thisn might do the trick(after all, it is better to have a bit too much power than not enough). Thanks.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 12:34 PM UTC
Saw some pics of the Gannet with international orange markings. Always did like that color, ever since I worked on T2C Buckeyes, which was a very interesting bird to be a mechanic on.
 _GOTOTOP