Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
KotS GB 2012 FE.2b Late - Oeffag 153
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:34 AM UTC
Today, I got a couple of figures from the postman. They are from a very capable sculptor in Germany named Martin Hille. Kellerkind

I think I'll use the one to the right, walking up towards the Fee... I'm also waiting for ModelCellar to release a new set soon, that will be used as the co-pilot/observer for this figure.

The other figure will be standing by in my spares box, until I build a plane to park him by.

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 12:39 AM UTC
Quick update – last night I tensioned the last strand of rigging on the Fee. I still have some control wires and a couple of corrections to do. Hoping these go swiftly.

Will endeavour to update with some pics later this week.

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quick update – last night I tensioned the last strand of rigging on the Fee. I still have some control wires and a couple of corrections to do. Hoping these go swiftly.

Will endeavour to update with some pics later this week.

Mikael

Yay
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
Thank You for that heartfelt Yay Keith Its what's needed on an oherwise very grey and rainy monday. One would think it autumn already...

Mikael
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hi Mikael:

Outstanding work and good recovery. Your added bomb lines really dress up the nacelle, engine is a work of art.

Looking forward to more.
Best

Mark
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi Mark!

Very nice to hear from you – thank you for the very kind words! I hope you're having a great riding season.

Take Care

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

Last update before the finished model I think. Last night saw me fixing some glitches in the rigging, and doing up the last of the control wires. Not much more to add at this point really.

Before I started work, I took her out on the decking and shot some pictures while the sun was setting:

I wanted to break up the fairly monotone black finish a bit to add some interest. I therefore finished a couple of the struts in wood, thinking it looks like a recent repair that the ground crew have not had the time to paint up yet...

I like the way the interior contrasts with the black.

Oh yeah – the flare holder broke off – again I'll pin it next time I do the repair.

Now where did all that dust come from? The setting sun and camera is very unflattering here. But it does highlight a problem – the matt black surface shows every little spec and scratch. I'll take a good blow with an empty airbrush and see if this improves the situation. Otherwise some blue tack or masking tape might do the trick... (If I can manage to get in between all the wires)

The left elevator was also done as a replacement part in PC10 dope. (looks a lot clearer in real life).

The tail rigging – here I made a mistake, cutting the control wires to the tail spur too short. It was a real pain to tension the EZ in place here as its such a tight spot. Well next time (I'm really considering doing the early version too!)

EZ has been a good help in this build for the control wires and various other things. It has also been very frustrating at times. When you loose the grip with the tweezer, it twangs away and tangles itself into a hopeless mess around other parts of the rigging. Sometimes it was with superglue on as well... You get the picture.

Well, thats all for now – I'll be back when the finishing touches are done.

Thank You for looking, any and all comments are as usual most welcome.

Mikael
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 01:29 AM UTC

Fantastic build Mikael! The painting and construction are superb.

Mark
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 08:39 AM UTC
Mikael,
Awesome and inspiring Master Level project my old friend. In all honesty she's the finest Fee project any where on the net.
Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette x10
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 08:46 AM UTC
Mikael, this is the best build of this kit I have seen.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 - 10:34 AM UTC
Mikael,
I'll be perfectly blunt and brief....MAGNIFICENT!!!

Cheers!
Lance
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 01:21 AM UTC
Mark, Gregory, Stephen, Lance - Thank You so very much for the standing ovations guys! I feel a little overwhelmed

@ Gregory and Lance thanks for the beers, I'll open them when the build is truly done

There are only a few bits and pieces left to do now, but it'll have to wait for a bit. Next week and a bit will be spent on R&R with the family.

My warmest regards to you all

Mikael
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hi Mikael,

Stunning! Absolutely stunning! I was off the line for two weeks, and it is truly a pleasure to my eyes!

All the best,
Entoni
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 09:43 PM UTC
Entoni, Thank You so very much for your kind remarks. Glad to see you're back again!

Mikael
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 11:24 AM UTC
Every part the jewel I expected her to be when you first announced you were building this kit. Outstanding work Mikael.

So you want to build another, like me with the Rumpler but Albatri keep getting in the way. Even before this ones done I've plans for the next. But I stray.

Keith
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi Keith, and thank you so much for your very kind words, they mean a lot!

You remind me of me, always planning the next build, constantly changing my mind on what the next subject will be - so many kits so little time... Hmmmm Rumpler you say...

Best Regards

Mikael
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC
Shaping up to be one of your best yet !

Terri
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 - 03:47 AM UTC
Hi Terri, always nice when you drop by. Thank You so very much for your kind words... I do think this model will be one of my own favourites when its done.

Best Regards

Mikael
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi All,

Well – The beast is now finally finished. This has been a build and a half – but I've not enjoyed a kit so much in a long time. In short, it's been a blast!

Though a kit for the experienced, WNW have really made it as easy as I think possible for this kind of build. Altough They had made a couple of hick-ups in the instructions, I think this is their finest effort yet!

Well I guess you want to see the pics – so without too much chitter chatter from me – here she is:

Its a big bird, that is a bit hard to get into one shot. Also it does remind me of one of those flying dinosaurs...

OK, so this Lewis was probably not installed on the nightbombers. But to me, this odd-ball gun placement defines and underlines the strange nature of this plane. Besides the telescopic boom was installed, and WNW shows it in place on their display model.

I just had to ad the lead coming out of the back of the Holt lamp. A small detail – but still

The red cable on the top of the boom, is for the Holt light in the back. I made this from EZ line.

I will ad a base, and a figure or two before everything is finally and truly finished. In this process, there are a couple of things I will fix and do, but they are probably things only I can see.

I will come back to the Fee again, an early version is high on my "must get" list, and I have a bit of a chop and change idea in store for this one – but it'll have to wait for a while. For now I will do something compleatly devoid of rigging – a Tank or two...

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support throughout of this build, and thanks to our commander in chief Stephen!

Thank You for looking – all and any comments are as usual most welcome.

Mikael
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC
That is without a doubt a true thing of beauty. I'd love to put this on the front page. Can you send me the pictures please?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 10:51 AM UTC
Mikael.

Got to say it' either the best or one of the best builds you've shared with us. Lovely work my friend.

Keith
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 11:05 AM UTC
Mikael,
I have to amend Keith's comment slightly; the best or one of the very best builds ANYONE has shared with us, truly magnificent. Congratulations on a stunning build.
Cheers,
Lance
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - 01:02 PM UTC
Also, Don't forget...
Nudge, nudge, hint, hint.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
Jessica, Keith and Lance – Thank You so very much for your kind words ... Best build – Oh my Coming from you guys it really means a lot.

@ Jessica – I'll PM you regarding the front page item, also my last lattice tail did rather well in the MOM contest

My warmest regards (from a Sweden with very cold and wet summer weather)

Mikael
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 10:24 AM UTC
Well done!
Great example of quality for us all to aim for!