Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dragon and his tail
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
Years ago I did the 1/48th Monogram B-24j kit and I had decal set for Dragon and his tail. After 20 or so years and a couple of tumbles...I decided I wanted to do the kit over. I picked up a kit for $40 at a hobby show last fall. I haven't seen 48th scale markings for it. I found LIttle Miss Mischief set for my redo B-17G (also the victim of several knock downs and 3 moves)

So I figure they aren't currently available. Has anyone planned to make a set? I see a lot of the zodic ones out there. Maybe someone has a n old Microscale set they aren't gonna use. I realize this kit is oop at the moment so decal sets probably won't be forthcoming
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 04:42 AM UTC
The Monogram B-24J kit has just been re-issued after a ten or twelve year absence.

I hate to break it to you but the "Dragon and his tail" micro-scale decal sheet once went for several hundreds of dollars on Ebay, I think around 300 to 700 but I can't remember precisely other than it was truly insane...

B-17G decals are easy to get in a huge variety, if not the specific ones you want, as are the kits.

About the repop of the B-24 J, I agree fully with the "what we really need" statement of the quote below, only to add on top of it that this B-24 kit needs a replacement more than any other model in kit history, in my opinion:

Quote:

"Respectfully to not agree with you, the J kit was not modified to make the D
May 22 2009 at 10:02 AM Bob Richards (Login sierrabob)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 204.108.96.20

Response to Revell/Monogram 1/48 B-24J

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both kits have been reissued several times. And the rumor that the J was modified to make the D was a hot rumor several years ago that was unfounded. To make matters a little more interesting, if you have the first issue J and then the last reissue J, look at the molding crispness. The first issue is the kit to have. The tool has many kits popped out of it and the quality of the later kits show the difference. Many of the people here have not had the chance to see the way the tool has gone south since the first issue and therefore still wish that the kit would be reissued, but for me, I would rather pay a collector $40-$50 bucks for the first issue kit than the same price for a reissue kit that shows the age of the tooling. Check it out if you can and then see if what I am saying makes sense. What we really need is for a new tool kit of the B-24 with correct turrets, new engineering, correct windscreens, engraved panel detail, and not a reissue of a kit that has seen its' better days. Just my opinion, but I have had the first issue kits several times and when the kit was first reissued, I had a chance to compare the newer kit with the older and that is the reason I base my statements. Take care, Bob"

For the accuracy side, truer words in modelling have hardly been spoken...

Interesting comment from a salesman in that thread is that the Monogram B-17G outsells the other big Monogram bombers by 20 to one: That"s pretty much how much better I think the B-17G"s accuracy (and symmetry!) is compared to the other two Monograms quad WWII bombers: Who ever said the general buying public doesn"t know or care about accuracy?

Gaston
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 08:50 PM UTC
Ever thought of making your own Steve? I have a 1/72 set on its way that would not be too hard to scale up...
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 09:39 AM UTC
If you can do it and are willing too....I would be happy to pay. I think if you could photo copy then enlarge you could get decal paper and make your own. NOt knowledgeable enough to do all this....plus don't have a set to start with.

Oh and anyone foolish enough to pay more than $45 for a set of vintage decals is insane or has more money than they know what to do with. I would be concerned due to the age turning them to powder when you wet them
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate to break it to you but the "Dragon and his tail" micro-scale decal sheet once went for several hundreds of dollars on Ebay, I think around 300 to 700 but I can't remember precisely other than it was truly insane...

Hi Steve

That was truly insane! There's a set on eBay at the moment - the current bid is $16.09

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscale-48-37-1-48-B-24J-Dragon-His-Tail-43rd-Bomb-Group-Decal-Sheet-/270907452289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1357ab81

All the best

Rowan
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh and anyone foolish enough to pay more than $45 for a set of vintage decals is insane or has more money than they know what to do with. I would be concerned due to the age turning them to powder when you wet them

That is why I got the 1/72 ones as they are brand new. Academy have also released the B-24J with these decals.
I will see how I go with increasing them to 1/48 and get back to you my friend.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Steve

That was truly insane! There's a set on eBay at the moment - the current bid is $16.09

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscale-48-37-1-48-B-24J-Dragon-His-Tail-43rd-Bomb-Group-Decal-Sheet-/270907452289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1357ab81

All the best

Rowan

I found that a few days eaqrlier and am watching them like a hawk. I copied them onto a powerpoint program so if i can't win them I might find some decal paper somewhere and use my inkjet to try to make my own. I have it sized based on the ones I have on my beat up B-24 on top of my speaker
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:56 AM UTC
lol.. The postage on them was way too high for me, hence why I bought just the decals. Maybe you could get a set of masks to do the job?
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC
Somebody else won the decals. I went $32, but he had double bidded at the last second. I got a scan that looks pretty good from the add. Found some place that sells the blank decal papaer and says it copies on ink jet. So am considering that. I contacted 2 garage manufacturers suggesting they do one as the kit is in production again. One told me that that sheet was no longer in production. The other was at the Nuremburg Toy Show so I'll wait a bit and see what they have to say
 _GOTOTOP