P-47 Razorback intercooler outlet question
Grenade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi!
I'm building a Tamiya P-47 razorback with an Eduard Photoetch set to go with it. Thi PE set includes the ducts just inside the oulets so that you dont get two voids in the model. However I'm unsure what colours were used inside the ducts. I've seen some pictures showing yellow-green and other with the OD pretty far in. I'm building the "Little Cheif" version. Anyone have any tips on this - how far in should i do the OD, whats the right color inside?.

Hope to be hearing form y'all
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 11:25 PM UTC
Grenade:

It is possible that the yellow green you mention in one of the pics is a Zinc Chromate primer that was and still is used on aircraft. The OD you mention is probably the final coat itself.
I am thinking that if this being the case either color would be correct. It could be possible that the pic with the yellow green was taken solely because the OD had wore off form flight time.
But not seeing the picture and not being an expert on the P-47 I am just throwing a theory out there.
Hope this helps and hope that someone can shed some more light on the subject cause now you have me curious as well.

Paul
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hi Grenade

In every wartime photo I've checked, it looks like the Olive Drab extended into the outlet. It's also quite common to see the white bar of the fuselage marking extending right into the outlet...

The only example I've found with what looks like Interior Green (not even Zinc Chromate) is a restored aircraft - so I wouldn't trust it.

Are you going to post some pics of how your build is going? Hint! Hint! :-)

Hope this helps

Rowan
Vann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hey grenade, check out the Squadron Detail and Scale book on the P-47. Lots of detail there. Just finshed Little Chief myself, check out my gallery pic.Good luck.

Vann
Grenade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hey everyone-thannx for teh feedback:

To Warlock:
You're right I did mean the zinc chromate color. The pic I did see did not however seem to show the zinc due to wear but seemed more on purpose although Ithink it may have been a bubbletop.

Merlin:
Youre probably right about the Little Chiif having the OD a bit into the outlet - looks that way on the box-art too. After some fumbling I've managed to post some pics as per kind request:

Vann:
I thought you're B/W photo was really good - gave the impression that this was the real McCoy Can I ask - how did you get the mask for the cowling done? Any tips?

Hpoe you enjoy the pics above!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Grenade

That cockpit looks magnificent!! :-) Absolutely stunning! :-)

I can't wait to see the finished model...

All the best

Rowan
Grenade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 10:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the good words Merlin! I have to say that Eduard PE has to take a lot of the credit though. Their pre-painted PE does make a lot of difference. It can be a bit hard to handle though since the paint flakes off quite easily. In the cockpit I,ve used the pre-painted instrument backing, panel, map box lid, seat harness, throttle quadrant and another couple of details. The PE sprue has a lot of other stuff for the cockpit which I dicided to skip since it was really tiny. Worth a mention is that I'm actually using two sets from Eduard, one is the full set and the other is the Razorback Placards. Again, thanks for the kudos... helps to boost morale!
Vann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hey grenade, Basically I just used a thin strip of blue masking tape and wrapped it around the cowl. You may have to eyeball it to make it look straight, but that is all that I did.

Happy Modelling,

Vann
thenamshow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:04 PM UTC
great cockpit where did you get the after market stuff and who made it
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 03:24 PM UTC
Great looking stuff! I'm building the old 1/32 P-47D by Revell and the cockpit for it is nowhere near that. Excellent work.
Grenade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 04:13 AM UTC
To "thenamshow":
The Aftermarket stuff is from Eduard. They have a really good web-site including online shopping. If you shop for something like eighty bucks you get free shipping (at leastin europe. Heres their site:

http://www.eduard.com

Whats really nice about the site is that you can have a look at PDF versions of the instructions sheets that come with the products. This gives a very good impression of the product and makes it risk free to order on the net.

To Tin-can:
Thanx man! - Post som pics of your stuff!!!

_GOTOTOP