_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Filling ridges
minimodelman1221
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hi all, Im new to building airplanes and have been workimg on revell's F4U corsair. Everything went together fine, except when I glued the two fuselage halfs together ridges appeared at the seam in several places. Being mostly an armor modeler I havent had problems like this before and was wondering what is the best way to fix this. My initial thought was to put some filler next to it and feather it away but is there an easier way to do fix this?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 12:07 PM UTC
Welcome to the Dark Side...... Fill and sand it the only cure I know of. Some day I'll learn to do a little more prep and eliminate the ridge before I add the glue. On some kits the locating pins are out of wack and and force the sides out, trim the pins and move on. I had one where there was some warpage, if I had added tabs to the high side, it might have pulled the low half up and greatly reduce the repair effort.
minimodelman1221
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 12:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a good idea, im pretty sure the locator tabs being in the wrong spot was the problem... oh well, back to the work bench
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 01:09 PM UTC
If the gap is huge, you may want to put in a sliver of sheet plastic or stretched sprue. Melt it in place with liquid glue and then sand down. There's a really great "how to" thread pinned in place at the top of this forum called Reading the Seams which will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about filling seams. You can probably take the knowlege back to your tank modelling as well

Happy building!
 _GOTOTOP