_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Acrylic paints
Foxbat23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi All .... I've just bought Revel's A10 Thunderbolt (1/48th) I'm looking forward to the high detail in the cockpit and want to get as authentic as possible to the right colours. I have lots of acrylic paints (used when canvas painting portraits, landscapes etc) My question is: can I spray the cockpit area with (say) Humbrol grey then pick out the gauges etc with the acrylics? Will it 'take' the grey undercoat?
Thanks for any advice, peeps.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 06:56 AM UTC
it should take fine. As long as you do acrylic after the solvent based paint. If you switch order and do acrylic first, the solvent based stuff will disolve the acrylic. It should work fine. If you are airbrushing acrylics, I recently found that using distilled water works much better then isopropyl alcohol.
Foxbat23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 - 09:34 PM UTC
Thanks for that, Flyboy, I'll give it whirl.
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 11:17 AM UTC
If you're ever worried about stripping paint, don't forget about Future floor wax (Johnson's Klear by you) to protect the paint. If something can remove Future, I haven't found it...let's just say that I haven't been able to find a way to clean the spilled Future from my bathroom sink...
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you're ever worried about stripping paint, don't forget about Future floor wax (Johnson's Klear by you) to protect the paint. If something can remove Future, I haven't found it...let's just say that I haven't been able to find a way to clean the spilled Future from my bathroom sink...

Straight Windex, or if you are more adventurous, pure ammonia, will take Future off lickty split.
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Straight Windex, or if you are more adventurous, pure ammonia, will take Future off lickty split.

Really? I figured as much, but I never bothered to try that...guess it's time to clean up the sink!
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:56 AM UTC
Model Master acrylic paint remover. It will not only remove the future, but will also start gnawing through the plastic if you are not careful! Learned the hard way there!!! And, no problem Tony.
 _GOTOTOP