_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Trying to weather wheels
ddufault
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hey all,

ive just painted the inside of my wheels aluminum and want to give it a more realistic look. I'm using enamel paints but i also have black acrylic. I want to give it a sort of shadowing effect. My idea was to thin black acrylic paint in a 1:10 or 1:20 ratio and then just put a bit on the brush and let it run through the detail of the wheel. Will acrylic on enamel interfere or is there a better way to achieve this effect?

Thanks!

Dave
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC
That's the exact way to do it : ) Acrylic will not affect enamels. You might want to mix in a little brown to give them a kind of grungy look or perhaps a little white so the "shadows" dont look so deep. Play around with scraps and see what kind of effect you like the best.
ddufault
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's the exact way to do it : ) Acrylic will not affect enamels. You might want to mix in a little brown to give them a kind of grungy look or perhaps a little white so the "shadows" dont look so deep. Play around with scraps and see what kind of effect you like the best.

fantastic! i may try the white mixed in! Cheers
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 84 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 06:41 PM UTC
You could also go out and get yourself a couple of tubes of Artists oil paints. They work great on all paint types without damage. If you do go this route be sure to pick up a bottle of oil thinners - you can get these from any art supply store or stationary stores.

Geoff
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:50 PM UTC
Don't forget about weighing the tires if you haven't already. Aside from the painting and weathering, recreating the physical shape of a tire supporting the weight of an airplane can add a lot to the presentation.
 _GOTOTOP