_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
How to use Tamiya Clear...
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 05:35 AM UTC
I'm trying to use Tamiya clear X22 over Tamiya flat acrylics to prep my plane for applying decals.

- What should be the preferable ratio of clear and X20 thinner?
- Is it better to use Tamiya lacquer thinner than x20?
- What should be the pressure on my AB?

I've tried it one coat but it is not smooth and equal. I is somewhat grainy at first and when I try to apply a heavy coat, it does not lay down equally. It looked like clear map of something.

Does applying a second heavy coat resolve this?
Paul-H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 234 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi

You do know that Tamiya X-22 Gloss Clear is not a clear coat

It is supposed to be added to matt paints to turn them gloss, if you try to use it as a clear coat you may find you end up with problems, I know some use it that way without issue but I see more posts from people having problems than I do from people using it without any issue.

You might be better of buying a perpose designed closs coat.

Paul
Phil_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

You do know that Tamiya X-22 Gloss Clear is not a clear coat

It is supposed to be added to matt paints to turn them gloss, if you try to use it as a clear coat you may find you end up with problems, I know some use it that way without issue but I see more posts from people having problems than I do from people using it without any issue.

You might be better of buying a perpose designed closs coat.

Paul

Hmm, a bit late, but X-22 Clear Gloss is indeed a clear gloss coat.

I think you may have it the wrong way around - X-21 Flat base is not a clear flat coat, but is added to gloss paints to make them flat.

Many people use X-22 Clear gloss without any problems at all. I've been using it for close on 30 years.

Just thin it as you would any other Tamiya colour.
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks Phil. So just 50-50 would do? What about air pressure? How much do you use? I'm getting kinda frustrated with my gloss coat for I'm trying to prep my model for decalling. Can't get it to be very smooth and I'm slowly losing detail because of more coats.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 08:19 PM UTC
I have a simmilar problem.
I bought two bottles of X-21,it was stated that they are flat clear,once i used it and my model became white.So this X-21 is only for making gloss colors flat or???

Kind regards,Sven.
MartynSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 73 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi Sven

We've just discussed XF21 over on Track-Link. http://www.track-link.net/forum/modelling_painting/10138

Fortunately I asked the question before spraying my Tilly in XF21!

Martyn
Gendrok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nicaragua
KitMaker: 125 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC
I use Tamiya clear gloss to do do my clear coat. It works wonderful. If you have no problem, grainy paint with your regular colors, you should have no problem with the clear gloss. Thinner? air pressure? The same you use for regular paint, if you paint with Tamiya. The thing about gloss is how you apply it. I recommend not spraying too close to the model, and make quick passes, go back if you need to.

On a side note, do not use their flat base straight out the bottle, it will be messy.
Totalize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 04:13 PM UTC
Eugene,

I would recommend Future Floor Wax. It's cheap, doesn't need mixing, goes on very nice from an airbrush (10-15 PSI) and leaves a nice gloss coat. You should be able to pick it up at your local supermarket.

David.
Badjong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eugene,

I would recommend Future Floor Wax. It's cheap, doesn't need mixing, goes on very nice from an airbrush (10-15 PSI) and leaves a nice gloss coat. You should be able to pick it up at your local supermarket.

David.

Thanks for all the replies! they are all heplful. I tried thinning the clear 30-70%... 30% Clear. Looked ok. Future has been widely used as per forums but unfortunately it is very hard to find future here in the Philippines. I have seen some comments on forums that they managed to get future here some years back, but I can't find anything here recently. I have already scoured many ACE hardwares and supermarkets here but to no avail.

Curiousity aside, do you think future is better than Tamiya clear? I saw one hobby shop here that repackage future in small bottles but it is as costly as Tamiya clear...
 _GOTOTOP