Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: P-40, Work Horse of WWII Campaign
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 - 08:45 AM UTC
I primed the model today

Cheers Nick
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 02:35 PM UTC
My line up so far:

P-36A/C?
Hobbycraft P-036A/C

P-40B/C?
Academy P-40B/C

P-40E
Otaki P-40E

P-40F
AMT P-40F

All (4) a/c on my crowded dirty cutting board
P-40's and P-36

Bob
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 07:08 PM UTC
Bob.

Good progress on your 'Flight' so far, I toyed with the idea of doing the B/C in an RAF Deaert scheme based on the Trumpeter 32 scale kit as the bird Clive Caldwell flew with 112 Sqn in North Africa.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 08:54 PM UTC
Wow Bob, nice line-up.

I'm still masking my P-40E. Hopefully my slooooow progress will end today and I'll get to painting it. That is, if I can get home in time and if my brother leaves me alone (he's outsourcing me for his term project ).
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 10:37 AM UTC
Here's some crazy masking:

And after the green is painted on. Don't know if it's worth all that trouble...

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 11:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the comment everyone.

@ Emre: nice weathering on your paint job. I will have to practice on my a/b technique following the advice recieved here.

Bob
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Alrighty then. All decals are on and she's drying as I type. I'll shoot an additional gloss coat to seal the decals, then flat coat her with some Tamiya TS-80. Need to add the decals to the prop, but otherwise things are about ready to go into final assembly, weathering and then onto the customer.... More to follow soon. Thanks, "Q"

@ Q, I have an idea for you that I have used for many many moons, just use the matt coat to seal the decals.....
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 11:31 PM UTC
Thanks Bob. I'm sure you can easily replicate what I did, it only takes a little practice but it's fairly easy to do.

I'm waiting for tonight, since the part I hate (masking) is finally over and I can work on the remaining details... Oh wait, I still have to mask the canopy!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Alrighty then. All decals are on and she's drying as I type. I'll shoot an additional gloss coat to seal the decals, then flat coat her with some Tamiya TS-80. Need to add the decals to the prop, but otherwise things are about ready to go into final assembly, weathering and then onto the customer.... More to follow soon. Thanks, "Q"

@ Q, I have an idea for you that I have used for many many moons, just use the matt coat to seal the decals.....

Thanks Warren. I usually do that but I started using Future to seal with as it will flow under the decals should there be any gaps thereby stopping any silvering, or at least reducing it. Once the second coat is on, I'll flat coat. Thanks, "Q"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
Looking good guys.

@ Emre, I was going to say don't sweat the soft demarcation line on the P-40, Curtis used portable masks when they painted P-40's. Take a look at P-40 In Detail & Scale for some photos.

Anybody ever done the dropped flaps (Eduard) on the Hasegawa 1/72 P-40? Got almost everything I need to get started execpt the courage to trash a kit.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi all.

I finally made a start on my entry for this campaign, got to the third step and stopped dead.. I am building the 1/32 Trumpeter P-40B and apart from the way too heavy surface detail the exhaust stacks turn out to be a huge project in themselves.. A bit of heavy flash and even after a good cleanupp they look as though they are made for different halves they line up so badly. Normally Trumpeter's fit etc is great, but in this case it sucks!!

So to overcome this problem rather than being a brave soul and percervering with them I have thrown money at the problem and ordered a set of exhausts from England. GBP7.25 seems a great investment to me as it would have taken days to fix the supplied exhausts and my time is way to valuable!!
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 07:10 PM UTC
Warren, you have run into what Matt stated earlier.

Bob
wilbhi2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
IS it too late to enter this campaign?

Have the wonderful eduard P-40N with markings from montex that I would like to enter.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hello Bud,
Welcome aboard, there is plenty of time to enter into this campaign. Here is where to enter.
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=418

Bob
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
Here's the group pic... except the fuel tank, which is still drying on the corner. I've sprayed X-22 over everything in any free time I could find (getting married and moving in a new house really consumes time... 4 lefts month till my marriage and I feel drained!).

I also touched up the areas where the camouflage colors met to get some extra contrast. I've began the decals half an hour ago, progress is slow.

wilbhi2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Bud,
Welcome aboard, there is plenty of time to enter into this campaign. Here is where to enter.
https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=418

Bob

Thanks Bob. Really appreciate it.

Emrie: looking really good.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
Thanks Bud.

I've completed decalling my P-40. Here's my little monster... The decals look wrinkled as they are still wet and they have lots of Microsol-Microset on them. I'll leave it to dry as it is. Tomorrow, I'll spray another gloss coat on it to protect the decals.

The Eagle Strike Cals instructions give you two decals for the peeing cowboy. Since all photos of this plane show the cowboy on the left and I couldn't find any info about the right rudder, I used only one of the decals for the left rudder. I think it's safer to play it safe. In case someone finds a photo with the cowboy on the right, I'll defend myself by stating "it hasn't been painted yet"

mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 08:58 PM UTC
Nice work Emre! The patchy panels look very good.

How do you plan on weathering the decals? I would love to know how to do this and make it look realistic to match the rest of the paintwork. in the past I decal as soon as the base coat is on and weather everything afterwards?

emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hello Mark,

I will attack the decals with my airbrush and paints! Similar to the aircraft, I'll use lighter and maybe darker shades on the decals to make them look faded. I'm not sure about the white colors though... I might spray a very very thin coat of Tamiya's Buff to make them look dirty and yellowed.

I just came back home from work... after a coffee break, it will be modeling time!
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi all,

I have a question for all you P-40 experts out there. I am working on "White 21" from the Zots Decals P-40 sheet. (Same decals sheet as Damian posted on Page 3 of this thread).

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the green colored 1/2 circle shaped camo that is visable on the tail. I am sure I have seen a pic of this camo also continuing on the leading and trailing edges of the wings with this type of scheme but the Zots sheet is very lacking any info and does not include top or bottom profiles just the side artwork??????

What color would this green have been? does anyone have a pic of this scheme as I cannot find anything on google?

Thanks,

Mark
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 09:05 PM UTC
I have found spome pics of this scheme on a Parrothead P-40 but I have found 2 different perspectives. 1 just has the green camo spots on just the tail section and another has it also on the wings????

I also have a refernece in a book I have saying that this color is FS34092?
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:37 AM UTC
Only just enlisted been waiting for my Academy P-40 .

Probably going with something British but not sure yet.

Martin
wilbhi2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have found spome pics of this scheme on a Parrothead P-40 but I have found 2 different perspectives. 1 just has the green camo spots on just the tail section and another has it also on the wings????

I also have a refernece in a book I have saying that this color is FS34092?

Hey Mark,
The color call out is correct as best as I know - it's what I use. Also the green splotches are usually both on the tail and The trailing and leading edges of the wing and tail plane in plan.

Sort of like this : http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/54/Pictures/Color2.jpg

It's hard to see, but they are there in the 5 view - you may have to play with it in a photo editing program to make the colors pop more.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Bud, it looks similar to the Parrothead references I have so i will go with it.

Thanks,

Mark
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 02:40 PM UTC
Martin, I like the kit except the chin intake piece that needs to be attached. I seem to have a difference in the in mine which needs putty and sanding.
Bob