_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Lozenge Camouflage 201
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:47 AM UTC
I have been asked why I haven't discussed the 1st issue Pheon 1:32 5 colour Lozenge (Cookie Cutter) types. To be fair the spanwise layout was used. as has been discussed this was probably a repair method at the flug park. Also the colours are not bad. BUT due to several sections of their decals being laid out 90 degrees in the wrong direction with the at first look it appears that they have multiple spanwise rib tapes on the upper wing. Actually the rib tapes are all going the run of the ribs its the lozenge that is running spanwise.

From their first sheets they were supposedly done to represent Alb. D. V D.2359/17 from Jasta 23b. But real rib tapes run chordwise as they were laid out to cover the rib stations. Their specific purpose was to cover the nailed and sewn portion of the fabric cover that was attached to the wing rib. As is, I cannot recomend these first issues.

But as of today they have a the second attempt completed.

Quoted Text

32nd Scale "Lozenge" for WNW Albatros D.V

As many will know, we have been working with Richard and Harry of theaviattic.com and Fantasy Printshop to produce some really accurate “lozenge” decals in 32nd scale. The colours have been painstakingly custom-mixed to accurately portray the various shades in 1/32nd scale, using surviving fabric examples.

The first prototypes, which were shown at the IPMS UK show at Telford last year . . .Since then we have steadily revised the designs and tweaked the colours, examining and drawing all the known covering configurations and we're now delighted to announce that the first full production set, precisely tailored to fit the Wingnuts Albatros D.V/Va, will be available before the end of March.

Principal content for the production sheet:
• All edge and strengthening tapes in place, rib tapes are also all in place, except where wing sections join - here they are provided as separate decals to cover any slight decal adjustment at the join.
• Upper and Lower wing covering applied chord-wise.
• Rib tape colours the same for top and bottom covering (You have a choice of blue or pink – each colour matched to existing fabric samples).
• Top wing now in four, not five pieces and elevator now covered in single pieces top and bottom.
• Ample additional tapes are provided, which will allow for supplementary tapes sometimes seen on the lower wings to be portrayed.
• Fabric covering aft of pilots seat and rudder covering in both upper and lower colours – your choice.

They will be accompanied by a booklet outlining the development and use of the German printed lozenge fabric and a comprehensive guide to trouble-free application to the model.

The Albatros D.V set, 32020 comprises four sheets of fully screen-printed, white-backed decals . . .Price for 32020 is £19.50 plus P&P. Pre-orders can be made now by emailing us.

Please specify your rib tape colour preference when ordering - 32020 Blue or 32020 Pink.

Other specific tailored sets for the Roden SSW D.III and Wingnut’s Pfalz D.IIIa, Roland D.VIa and LVG C.VI, will follow in the coming months - all with similar attention to detail and precise tailoring.

We will also be producing decals of fabric bolts and various rib tapes in the same authentic shades, so that modellers who wish for a fully personalised arrangement of the fabric and don’t mind the considerable additional effort involved, can also benefit from the same colours, should they wish.

Four-colour decals are in development now. . ."

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 04:18 PM UTC

Now here is a bit of fun concerning available 1:32 5 colour lozenge decals.

DBDecals review
bstachel
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 01:26 PM UTC
Hello, Stephen.

Thankyou for finally mentioning the soon-to-be-released Pheon Models 1/32nd Lozenge Decals.

A collaboration with Rowan and myself and Harry Green of theaviattic.com a redesigned version of my website from a few years ago that will be "live" next week offering galleries of reference material and products for the WW1 modeller.

Just wanted to put you straight on a couple of issues so that no-one is misled any further.....

The initial trial scans you refer to were and will not be in production, they were not "1st issues". We have produced many dozens of artworks, including the much-discussed "spanwise" lower wing configuration, this example was sent to James Fahey as a taster of the idea of a "cookie cut" lozenge decal. His enthusiastic posting of the image was unfortunate but not our intention.

I'm sure the memory of your work with Microsculpt and their lozenge enterprise will remind you of the many trial runs and crossed wires that can occur trying to "nail" these complex issues...

The "multiple spanwise ribtapes on upper wing" you mention is in fact a mireading of the artwork by you. Those lozenge panels are turned sideways on the artwork (as the scalloped trailing edges clearly show) for space-saving purposes and, I guess, have confused you.

A petty point perhaps, but I resent a mistake on your part reflecting on my integrity and intentions ("someone steered someone in the wrong direction".....!) Ironic or what!

I've not been able to upload images here of the "original" misinterpreted artwork along with the new production artworks (missing from your post from theaerodrome inserted here) - complete with pink ribtapes or blue for the modeller to use at his/her discretion, as we've certainly no proof that either version is correct or not. They are posted on the Pheon Models section of the Aerodrome.com

Cookie cut decals may not be for everyone but the overwhelming response we have had from magazine editors and modellers at shows here in the UK (Telford, Milton Keynes and Yeovilton so far...) has been " When///!!!!" and have taken many pre-orders already - indicating that the extremely labour intensive application of lozenge bolts, their correct orientation and ribtapes is certainly not high on many modellers list of favourite pastimes!

Our intention with these is to see many more completed WW1 aircraft built, appreciated and enjoyed. Speaking, as we do, to many modellers that are tempted to "try a biplane", rigging, lozenge application and laminated propellers are the usual put off's! Our supposedly frowned upon "cookie cuts" will gain WW1 modelling many converts, believe me!

Due to the very high production costs involved we have waited a long time to get this product as "right" as we know how.
Both ourselves and Rowan have spent more man hours than we will ever see payment for on this project. Many more sets are in the final stages of design, including bolt sheets and alternative rib tapes in the accepted - and oft debated - colours!

Thankyou, Stephen, for your championing of this fascinating subject. Your lozenge threads are always a big help and inspiration along with Dan San, Doug Baumann and many others.

I trust we will be allowed to offer our interpretation of these illusive colours and designs to the discerning modellers that so enthusiastically support "our" passion.

Yours, Richard Andrews theaviattic.com
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 05:24 PM UTC
Since this thread is about availability and application lets continue. As of now the only 1:32 sets available commercially are the WnW and Doug Baumann's sets. Our man Mikael Terfors (OEFFAG_153) has shown us his approach to the issue in his fine thread from the WnW GB 2009-10. That by the way was highly recognized by WnW, yet employed Doug Baumann's lozenge decal. (WnW loz.was only available through their LVG C.VI kit at the time.)

WnW has posted my shipment of their new lozenge. They will look pretty fine on MvR's Alb.D.V 4693/17. The Doug Baumann sets (2) I purchased) I plan to incorporate with the HGW rib tapes on a pair of Roden SSW D.III kits. One early one late.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 05:50 PM UTC
Now I am just about to publish the review on the WNW lozenge decals. I can't stress enough the idea that lozenge or Flugzeugfarbenstoff decals are the basis of what can be a great build. But texturing a lozenge camouflaged wing just adds depth to the build.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 11:36 PM UTC
Great stuff Stephen – looking forward to read your review on the new WNW Flugzeugfarbenstoff – Also just reread this thread again – very useful indeed. BTW – any chance to do a bit on the Naval Hex? I'm getting closer to applying this on the Hansa Brandenburg...

Best Regards

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 08:08 AM UTC
Greetings Michael!

As a matter of fact I have that on the desk with 3 other projects / reviews.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings Michael!

As a matter of fact I have that on the desk with 3 other projects / reviews.

Greetings Stephen

Great news! Im looking forward to your input!

Best Regards

Mikael
Airbag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Morbihan, France
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC
As Stephen says: "Since this thread is about availability and application lets continue"......

Well the 32nd scale Albatros D.V/Va Lozenge decals from Pheon Models, produced in conjunction with Richard Andrews and Harry Green of theaviattic.com, are now available, as many will know already. A review will, I hope, soon appear here on Aeroscale but in the mean time, here are some details:

• All edge and strengthening tapes in place, rib tapes are also all in place, except where wing sections join - here they are provided as separate decals to cover any slight decal adjustment at the join.
• Upper and Lower wing covering applied chord-wise.
• Rib tape colours the same for top and bottom covering (You have a choice of blue or pink – each colour matched to existing fabric samples).
• Top wing in four pieces and elevator is covered in single pieces top and bottom.
• Ample additional tapes are provided, which will allow for supplementary tapes sometimes seen on the lower wings to be portrayed.
• Fabric covering aft of pilots seat and rudder covering in both upper and lower colours – your choice.

Oh, and you'll note that there aren't (and never were) any "Spanwise rib tapes"!

Here are some shots of my application of them to the Wingnuts kit:

You will notice that the separate rib tapes are missing from some of the decal joints - this is deliberate as I wanted to show how well the decal sections matched. These are the decals "straight out of the box" with no varnish, filters or oversprays applied.

Price is £19.50 per set plus P&P, please specify Blue or Pink tapes when placing your order.

The decals are accompanied by two booklets: an historical overview by Richard Andrews and Harry Green of the Aviatttic.com and a comprehensive application guide.

PLEASE READ and follow the application instructions! They are key to getting the best from these decals.

You can order only direct from Pheon at:

[email protected]
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 07:17 AM UTC
Rowan as you know I just puchased these very decals, They are stunning, and the extra info you give with them is excellent too. I just have to get up the courage to apply them now.

Keith
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 10:07 AM UTC
My experience with his decals is all very, very positive. Go for it.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 01:35 AM UTC
Greetings Rowan,

This looks most excellent and convienent – I'm not a great fan of laying down ribtapes

Think I will have to do another Loz covered Albatros sometime soon. I still have some great profiles in my spares box from my build of Baumer''s mount + a good selection from WNW.

Biggest trouble will be choosing which one to go for  – although "Lude" is a favourite at the moment BTW does anybody know if this profile is with pink or light blue ribtapes?

Looking forward to Keith's application!

Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 05:39 AM UTC
Now there was a comparison done recently of the three currently available 1:32 lozenge decal sheets by James Fahey.
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:41 PM UTC
I have now posted the side by side comparison in a new thread here at Aeroscale. I took the images down over at theaerodrome.com as a consequence of terminating my membership there.

I don't think cost is much of a factor, particularly if you only plan to build one Albatros. What difference there is in cost is offset by the much greater convenience from having the rib and reinforcing tapes already done. As I said in the review its really about modellers' preference.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 06:20 PM UTC
In the recent months we have had the release of Mirage's 1:48, 5 colour lozenge decal sheets for their Halberstadt CL.II ( and now maybe their CL.IV) kits.

Also it looks like HGW has released a set in 1:48 of a faded / transparent type of 4(set #548023)& 5(set #548022) colour lozenge . Great for interior use or for giving your bird a well worn or "over" varnished look it would seem.

WARNING! You must clear coat these to use. You can damage these with more than casual handling. Make sure your thumbnail edges never run across the un coated decal surface.

The 5 colour was produced in autumn of 1917 through 1918 and can be used on Fokker D.VI, D.VII, E.V & DVIII, Pfalz D. D.IIIa, D.VIII, D.XII Albatros D.III (OAW), Alb. D.V & Va and some 2 seater types.

The 4 colour can be used on late war Fokker D.VI, D.VII E.V & D.VIII and Roland D.VIa types.
Removed by original poster on 02/29/12 - 20:34:20 (GMT).
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 04:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In the recent months we have had the release of Mirage's 1:48, 5 colour lozenge decal sheets for their Halberstadt CL.II ( and now maybe their CL.IV) kits.

Here is the review. These decals must have 2 complete clear over coating to handle easily. The decals are good and tough on their own but will fold over quickly without two clear overcoats. Fold-overs cannot be fixed easily. Avoid the frustration. Use at least two complete applications of clear coat. Yes I know I am repeating myself.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 01:14 PM UTC
Next up for review will be the HGW sets in 1:48 of a faded / transparent type of 4(set #548023)& 5(set #548022) colour lozenge. See the review here.

WARNING! You must clear coat these to use. You can damage these with more than casual handling. Make sure your thumbnail edges never run across the un coated decal surface.

The 5 colour

The 4 colour
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 07:41 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject of definitions. Losenge

Lozenge II
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 02:44 AM UTC
There is a company called "Norland Models" that has "Microsculpt" line and their own line of lozenge decals. Theirs include 1:72, 1:48 & 1:32. Texturing is present on some they only offer the solid colour ribtapes and I have not experienced any use of these so I cannot comment or their pluses or minuses yet.

http://www.nordlandmodels.com Type in "lozenge" for the search and the page will come up. Prices seem reasonable.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 01:26 PM UTC
I pulled out my other two Mirage 1:48 Halb. CL.II kits and have been prepping them. One set I used to apply the Mirage 5 colour lozenge decals here.

The other will get the clear doped linen treatment. When Mirage comes out with the CL.IV I will do those wings with their 4 colour lozenge. I understand they are doing some research on this now. They want to get future issues of the 4 & 5 colour closer to some tracings that have come into their possesion. I like a company that does their best to get it right.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
From Aeroscale member Kornbeef

Quoted Text

A new supplier on the block, their product looks excellent, I've ordered some and will give my twopenneths worth Aviattic
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/aviattic/
http://www.aviattic.co.uk/aviattic.co.uk/Welcome.html

Happy days.

Keith

_GOTOTOP