_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Rigging a biplane ?
sphyrna
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
Finally getting started on my Albatros DV for the campaign....
Thinking about the rigging- a few kit build ups I've read use .010 steel wire for the rigging. Any suggestions on the best way to use this? - measuring, what kinds of glue is best, etc.

Thanks!
Peter
MadMeex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vaasa, Finland
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
Since I like to throw in my unsubstantiated opinions:
* Use dividers for the measuring
* CA if you want the wires to hold, maybe white glue to tack 'em in place
* drill holes at the correct angles to anchor them.

I think I'm going to go with the transparent gray sewing thread for my campaign entry.

Mika H
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Peter

I can't help much because I'm going to use stretched sprue and tighten it up with a hot pin... :-)

For what it's worth, I agree with MadMeex; use a pair of dividers to measure up and white glue to attach the wires. I imagine if you drill the holes a little too deep (careful on the wings!!), this will avoid the wire bowing...

Good luck - let know how it goes :-)

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
Sorry for being late on this one
If you use steel wire it will have to be taught when it is fitted in place, ( the hot pin trick obviousely wont work on wire). If I were using stretched sprue I would use the method outlined by MadMeex. For invisable thread you could use a similar technique. For wire though, (I would also use this method with invisable thread) I would drill locating holes in the wings (assuming single piece wings) all the way through. Assemble the model, including painting. Then thread the wire through the holes, anchor, using CA, pull taught through it's opposite hole and glue. Trim off the excess and touch up the paint. For two part wings drill through the opposing halves, attatch the bottom of the top wing and the top of the bottom wing, thread and glue the wire as before. No need to worry about trimming as the loose ends will be inside the wing. Attach the other halves of the wings, clean up seams and paint. Sounds like fun :-)
I haven't actually done this, but I think it's about the only way you could rig with wire, and have it taught. Unless of course you were to fit rings to the wings, thread the wire through them, then back on themselves, through a miniture tube (turn-buckle) and glue and trim it there. That sounds like just as much fun :-) I think I like that idea best, now :-)
Let us know how you get on.
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hi Mal

It's no wonder you're building a Fokker DVII!! :-) You'll hardly have any cables to do at all - you lucky *!£%$^%*^!!

All the best

Rowan
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 03:06 AM UTC
Since wire kinks under my 'bull in a china shop' ways, I have had good luck with invisable thread and CA. I also tape the thread done under tension while the glue is drying so I do not have to hold it. I drink to much coffee to be steady for any length of time.
capnjock
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
:-) Rowan

Quoted Text

It's no wonder you're building a Fokker DVII!! You'll hardly have any cables to do at all - you lucky *!£%$^%*^!!

I actually entererd the campaign meaning to try out the technique I described, but hving started late I knew I deffinately wouldn't finish if I had to rig the plane I wanted to do, an
SE-5 :-)
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wanted to do, an SE-5
Mal

Hi Mal

My Dream Machine!!! :-)

If only Eduard would hurry up and release one...

All the best

Rowan
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:30 PM UTC
i use fine fishing line with pre drilled holes held in place with ca the drill i use is a .003 mil this makes cleaning up the holes easy,just trim off the excess line and put a dot of paint on job done :-)
Ranger74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:32 AM UTC
I've been out of the net for months, so my answer is very late. I use steel wire, purchased from either a hobby shop or music store (guitar strings). If you are building 1/32 or even 1/48 you can you different size wires depending on what you are replicating. I drill holes of appropriate sizes in the wings, tail planes, and/or fuselage prior to construction. I measure length with calipers and cut the wire slightly long. I fit the wire and if too long trim a little at a time till wire fits without bowing. If drilled holes are correct size I have been able to get away without glue, or with glue at only one end of wire.

The advantage of steel wire is that it is rigid, doesn't change length with changes in temperature and/or humidity, and looks like "wire".

For external control cables, particularly on 1/32 biplanes I use "invisible thread" or hair from my daughters head (she has long dark and straight hair).
thenamshow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 02:08 AM UTC
um.... use them across the the wings in dioangles
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
Not to change the subject: BUT!!!! I wished someone would make a 48 ,32 of 25 scale model of the Halberstadt CL II FIghter Bomber. Preferably. One that is partly made of white metal and Plastic. With Rubber tires, Etc, WHY?? Well a guy I once knew. Had one. And the way it looked and felt after he had finished it. Has never left my mind. And since I once asked him, Years later. If he remembered where he got it and what the name of the manufacturer was. He did not remember either items. He told me that it was the only model he ever built.. Since then I have searched around hoping to find it. But no luck. Knowing his family the way I did. They probably bought it for him on one of thier round the world trips. just to give him some thing to do. BUT still I can only hope and dream that someday I might get the chance to build one similar to it.
 _GOTOTOP