_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Satin or Matf for a Hell Cat?
Watimena
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 07:26 PM UTC
Hi,

Should I finish this off with a satin or matt finish? It has just had second gloss coat done. I was going to do a wash with some watered down artist acrylics, just black, and maybe a few small chips with a fine paint brush and a prisma colour pencil I just bought. However, would you finish a hell cat off with a satin or a matt coat? I'll put some exhaust stains on with a tamiya pastel set. Any other tips would be welcome.

This is an airfix kit, and it was pretty terrible really compared to the few others I've built !! But I persevered to practice some things, painting a canopy with toothpick, painting the pilot and using a cheap airbrush set to do the main coat of paint. The other reason, was that my wife bought this picture for me last Christmas for fun, and when I saw it was the Airfix box art, well what could I do??

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
I would go with matt dead flat.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 02:37 AM UTC
To the best of my knowledge, RN Hellcats that weren't camouflaged were painted in USN Glossy Sea Blue, so they should have a glossy finish.

thanks
Mike
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To the best of my knowledge, RN Hellcats that weren't camouflaged were painted in USN Glossy Sea Blue, so they should have a glossy finish.

thanks
Mike

While true, I believe that the gloss finish quickly weathered - eventually to matt..

so really anything is about right. just depends on how new you want the plane to look.

not that RN aircraft from lend-lease stocks served a lot longer before being replaced than USN aircraft did.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
I have to agree with Vance ALL Hellcats came off the line as Glossy Sea Blue. Salt air and sun weathered them down fast. Period pictures show anything from high gloos to dull light blue. Just old age and abuse....(sounds like me )

Later
Watimena
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC
I think I'll go with the Matt finish. The main reason being is that it will conceal imperfections!

Thanks for the tips.
Watimena
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC
Finished, and all weathered up. Just will had some pastel exhausts, which you won't see much anyway on the dark blue.

It was a pretty bad kit. The prop is a spare from a hasegawa corsair kit, because the kit prop had so much flash on it, I damages when I was trying to cut it off. It had HEAPs of filler on wings etc as well.
 _GOTOTOP