_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
P51D STRIPES HELP
MUNROS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
HELLO! I I'm new to modelling. I'm currently building a P51D skinned with bare metal foil. My question is this... The box art, and color call outs are for a black stripe on each wing, for to aft, in board of the guns. Also a black stripe, for to aft on each stabilizer. And alternating black and white stripes, two of each on the underside of the body. Is this correct. The stripes on the belly look like invasion stripes, no D types on D day. Are they identification stripes? I've searched the internet, and find no P51D's that are marked in this way. I'm ready for the painted bits, and any insight would really be appreciated. I'm turning this over to the experts. RONNY.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HELLO! . Is this correct. The stripes on the belly look like invasion stripes, no D types on D day. Are they identification stripes? RONNY.

The "D" model was in combat in Europe prior to D-Day, reaching the ETO in March of 1944. Invasion stripes weren't just worn on D-Day itself, a/c could be seen with them late into 1944. Single black stripes on the Wings and stabilizers of NMF Mustangs were ID markers to keep them from being mistaken for Me 109s. OD Mustangs often wore the same stripes in white or yellow (i have seen both), BTW, the fuselage Invasion Stripes were kept longer than the wing invasion stripes.
MUNROS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thank you jowady, for taking the time to help me out. Invasion stripes it will be. RONNY.
 _GOTOTOP